Visas for over 55's

PEGirl

Most visas seem to have a 45 year age limit with special circumstances for exemption in some cases. However, I have heard of people over 55 who have obtained visas.

If this applies to you, what type of visa did you obtain? And what work do you do?

Thanks.

My husband is 52 - he has a civil engineering degree (not working in that field) and landed on a 121 visa in June this year. Unfortunately us oldies need sponsors of some sorts.

My husband is 52 - he has a civil engineering degree (not working in that field) and landed on a 121 visa in June this year. Unfortunately us oldies need sponsors of some sorts.

Yes, I know about the sponsors. I have a sponsor and job lined up. I just keep hearing such conflicting stories about people going over in spite of being older than the published age limit. I would like to know what route they take to do so. Maybe it would help someone making that initial decision. It is all very puzzling :(

I think, the problem is not getting a sponsor, but in getting PR once you are there. If you are over 45, I believe, the company that employs you have to prove that they cannot get someone younger to do the job, otherwise you will not have a hope of getting PR. I suggest you have a chat to one of the migration agents active on this site, they should be able to set you straight.

I am in the same situation - 47y. I have decided to only go on a sponsored PERMANENT RESIDENCE visa. If you go on the 457 (temp) you have no guarentees that you will be sponsored for PR. The two visas you can look at are ENS 121 and Regional 119. Also be aware that not all employers will go thru with the 121 visa as it seems a lot of paper work for them. Financial statements and training programs etc. My first potential employer backed out after I had turned down another really good job. make sure they are familiar with the requirements for the visa before you accept a position.

• 3 weeks later...
I am in the same situation - 47y. I have decided to only go on a sponsored PERMANENT RESIDENCE visa. If you go on the 457 (temp) you have no guarentees that you will be sponsored for PR. The two visas you can look at are ENS 121 and Regional 119. Also be aware that not all employers will go thru with the 121 visa as it seems a lot of paper work for them. Financial statements and training programs etc. My first potential employer backed out after I had turned down another really good job. make sure they are familiar with the requirements for the visa before you accept a position.

I'll be turning 61 later this month and got an ENS 121 PR visa last week. My son is a professional with a work offer in Sydney, and I'll be going with him.

So it is possible!