Skin care for a 10 year old.

VivaOZ

Hi

My eldest is 10 and she had her first "pimple" the other day. Now I am completely new to this in my house because I never use expensive cleansers ect. (because I don't have a skinproblem) My question is what product to get her. I don't want to go and buy stuff that is going to do more harm than good but I also don't want to leave it and let her have a bad skin at the end of the day.

Can anyone maybe give me a bit of advise wich skincare products to get her started on, please?

Thanks

Wilma

Hi Wilma,

My 9 year old has approached the stage of hormonal changes. (Yes much earlier than we did hey?)

I noticed she was getting a few blackheads and she needed a daily beauty routine.

I approached Priceline and they suggested the Nivea Young range. She is now using the daily facewash with exfoliating beads whcih is very mild and it seems to be working well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nats

Hi Wilma,

Why dont you try her on Avon... its completely hypo allergenic and they also have a range for the younger skin!! Plus their prices here in Aus compare really well to stuff you can buy in Priceline and those places!!

Good luck... i am so glad i dont have girls when it comes to things like that!!!

Hi Wilma,

My 9 year old has approached the stage of hormonal changes. (Yes much earlier than we did hey?)

I noticed she was getting a few blackheads and she needed a daily beauty routine.

I approached Priceline and they suggested the Nivea Young range. She is now using the daily facewash with exfoliating beads whcih is very mild and it seems to be working well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Nats

Thank you Nats

I am definately going to look for that at the chemist. I am completely dump when it comes to these type of things as my mom never bothered in trying to help me ge the right skincare for my age. She always said I must use the green sunlight soap (wich did work but smelled bad) So of course I never really bothered on my own skin and thank goodness I don't have a problem skin. I just want to do it right with my own 2 daughters especially in Austalia where they will need a daily routine to keep their skin healthy and clean and protected from the sun.

Thanks for the advise

Wilma

Only a pleasure Wilma.

Your one daughter is 10 how old is the other one?

I think what is slowly but surely getting to me is the fact that I feel so alone "raising" my daughter. My mom is a world on information just waiting to be shared. And I always have a few things I want to ask her but then when I speak to her I am too glad to hear her voice I totally forget about the questions hehe

Nats

My 16 year old daughter started having problems with her skin - and we tried everything.

Eventually we tried Pro Active - and it is really as good as as says on TV.

Pro Active is honestly very good.

It started helping her from the very first day.

She used it at night - and when she woke up the next morning, her face was already looking much better.

It seems to soothe the skin, and calm any inflamations.

I do not see why it could not be used for a younger skin ?

Edited by Shelly

Hi Wilma,

I'm a beauty therapist and I see many girls with this problem. The hormones are kicking in and the whole body is changing. It's a war inside them - with overactive sebaceous glands, moodswings, food cravings at more.

What was suggested is spot on. A mild cleanser will do the trick. Exfoliation once a week is good enough for their young skins. The cleansers with the exfoliation beads in will be just perfect for now. Get a product with no alcohol in - it dries the skin out and causes flakiness. Then they literally scrub their faces to rid it of the dry skin, which leaves it hypersensitive and enflamed. A vicious circle of dried skin, flakiness, scrubbing, inflamation etc. is set in motion then. Then they don't want to use the conditioner(toner) because it stings and they think the moisturiser will make their skin too oily.

Using a sunblock as well, is expecting a lot from a young girl. Buy a moisturiser with a sunblock already built in. Make sure she washes her skin at night as well.

Give her a towel in her sports bag and remind her to wet the one corner of the towel and to wipe her face after excercise. Dried sweat on the skin also causes blocked pores.

Emphasize the value of a good skin routine. And don't forget the neck and bustline!

Thank you so much everyone. It is really a big help in the decision on what to get her. My youngest is 7 so I am really new at this and also got one more to go through. I really dread this change in hir, I would rather have her either all grown up or still a babie, this in between I don't see myself fit to handle.

Yes the mood swings has started already and not to mention an appetite, luckily a healthy one. I acctually forgot what I went through at that age, well a bit older acctualy. It was horrible, I constantly felt like every one is looking at my face with the huge (acctually invisable) pimple and the dress that doesn't want to fit properly. I hated it because I had a mom that was not that involved in my addolesence (spelling). She only gave me a book and said read, you will find all you need to know in there. I promised myself that I will not be that mom, I will be involved in every way I can be, trying to give them my daughters the best.

Any way thanx again.

Wilma

I am reading this and my daughter is only 17 months. I am already scared! Boys are so much easier! Hopefully she will inherit my skin, never had much problems.

I am reading this and my daughter is only 17 months. I am already scared! Boys are so much easier! Hopefully she will inherit my skin, never had much problems.

LOL Polly - I can so relate! My daughter is only 4 and just thinking of her baby-soft perfect skin breaking out one day is giving me a stress-pimple!

Sterkte Wilma. :blush: Ons paadjies le nog voor!

Have a good one.

NicciG

Thanks for the great advice, my daughter also started with pimples at 9. Have I just forgotten or are our kids developing much quicker than when we were kids?

It is really sad for me to see my child who still plays with dolls, developing so early!

Hi Wilma,

My daughter is only 27 months, but my Mom went through the same thing with me. What I suggest is what she did with me - took me to a place where they have the cosmetics counters and so on (dont know the names here, but in my days in Durbs it was Garlicks!! ha ha showing my age here), and got the lady behind the counter to show me what to do, explain it and everything - because she (my Mom) didnt know what to do. Then you have a sense of respect for the importance of things like sunscreen - because the pretty lady behind the counter said so.

They chose an inexpensive range for me, and I still religiously look after my skin and never have any problems.

Then when they get into make up (scary thought I know!) do the same, then you wont end up with too much make up caked on etc. Worked for my Mom with me, and so easy too. They teach you how to emphasise good features, play down bad ones etc, and always being able to do subtle make up made me feel a lot more confident from the word go.

oh dear, now I am panicking about age 10 instead of age 13!!! (like I said mine is just 2) as if immigration isnt enough to worry about right now!

Good luck

GSI

Wow

Thank you so much for all the replies. It took a little of the scaryness out of what is still coming. Yes, they are developing much faster than in our days. When I was ten the most serious thing in live was to not let my Barbie lay around when I went to school. Now my daughter is ten and she is already developing and got more interists in how to please the 2 special boy in class, yes she has got 2 "boyfriends" already, and the other day I was also thinking how I am going to handle that pure, clean baby skin when it start to get goggo's on. Oh dear!!!

At least I know that I am not alone with these kind of stuff, every mom will have to deal with it sometime in the future.

If only we could keep them babies.......................

Hi there

A dermotologist prescribed "Cetaphil" which is a really mild cleanser and is available from Clicks here in SA. Also not too expensive and seems to be very gentle and really works!!!!

I have three daughters, the oldest 11, the middle one 7, and the youngest 2.5! So I guess I will be having lots issues on this topic in the future! :(

Bienkie

A dermotologist prescribed "Cetaphil" which is a really mild cleanser and is available from Clicks here in SA.

Bienkie

You get Cetaphil here in Aus too as far as i know!!!