Moving from the Cape

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hi Sam - Thanks for elaborating. When we get to Adelaide in December I'll bear you words in mind about the dry landscape. Over the weekend, I was looking at some houses to rent online and I noticed the greenery in the gardens was all wilting!

But it's temporary, right? We'll do our bit to conserve water.

I was also interested in your comparison to Pretoria. We moved to 'snor-city' nearly 4 years ago from Joburg, and at first I loved it. Nice wide roads, well signposted, good weather. But I'm afraid the increased crime and traffic has got to me, and I've realised I just find living here very bland. No spice. The only good part is the beautiful Jacarandas blooming everywhere at the moment.

It's amazing to see the number of people on the forum from Centurion - every second time I look down to see where someone is from, it's there! Must be a mass-exodus, that's all I can say. :)

Anyway, thanks for your positive comments on Adelaide, we really look forward to the move.

Bronwyn :unsure:

Hi there

Having lived in Cape Town for 5 years and then marrying a born and bred Capetonian before I moved here, and not having been to any of the other cities, I guess I would be biased to say Perth would be a good choice.

Going out to the Swan Valley makes me feel right at home, feels like I've just gone over into the Durbanville Hills, the climate is the same as CT, just not as cold in the winter, and the landscape seems to take on the same brownish hue in summer due to the lack of rain. Perth also has the north and south as CT, but they don't understand the significance yet of being behind the boerewors curtain :)

Hubby is not one that takes to change easily, but has slipped into the lifestyle here with ease as he says it's just like home without the crime.

I'm sure though that your friends would be happy no matter where they go, at the end of the day it is what they make of it as well.

Good luck

Annette congratulations on turning 21 ! :huh: Yay, finally the right side of 20 !! :)

Thanks - took me a while to get there - got stuck on 20 for ohhhhhhh .......... about 15 years :unsure: LOL

Hi Bronwyn, you're welcome. I'm sure you'll love Adelaide. I've also notice the mass exodus from particular Centurion, Pretoria region. It seems like that area is the last frontier where people move before they realize that there is nowhere left to go but over the sea. I also felt trapped in Pretoria. The growth rate of the city is too fast and the infrastructure can't hold up. I've heard that criminal gangs now also target the good suburbs in random. The rope is tightnening around the neck of people living there. And as for my family, I pray they will be protected because they can't emigrate.

No one knows how long the drought will last but it seems to affect the whole south eastern part of the country. We pray for some rain soon. :ilikeit: