Advice or Contacts in Gold Coast

M&Z

We have been on the Gold Coast for just on 2 months now and loving it! All is well so far and most importantly the kids are settled at school and thriving. Now the dilemma - me! I have a strong Secretarial/Admin background but for the past 10 years have been in the UK. Getting a job that works around the school hours wasn't easy but eventually did 4 years at a Supermarket - from checkout to reception - and then moved to a Newspaper and did sales for a further 4 years. I have kept up my secretarial skills and used the computer extensively at work and at home. Since arriving in the Gold Coast, I have applied for various positions but have not been successful. This week I contacted all the recruitment agencies and the minute they hear that I have not actually been doing secretarial work for the past 10 years, the doors seem to slam closed! I know that Secretarial/Admin posts are where my strengths lie and would really love to get back into it. Does anyone have any idea where I can go from here? Ideally I am looking for a part-time role, again to work around the school hours within the Gold Coast area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I absolutely lose all hope!

We have been on the Gold Coast for just on 2 months now and loving it! All is well so far and most importantly the kids are settled at school and thriving. Now the dilemma - me! I have a strong Secretarial/Admin background but for the past 10 years have been in the UK. Getting a job that works around the school hours wasn't easy but eventually did 4 years at a Supermarket - from checkout to reception - and then moved to a Newspaper and did sales for a further 4 years. I have kept up my secretarial skills and used the computer extensively at work and at home. Since arriving in the Gold Coast, I have applied for various positions but have not been successful. This week I contacted all the recruitment agencies and the minute they hear that I have not actually been doing secretarial work for the past 10 years, the doors seem to slam closed! I know that Secretarial/Admin posts are where my strengths lie and would really love to get back into it. Does anyone have any idea where I can go from here? Ideally I am looking for a part-time role, again to work around the school hours within the Gold Coast area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated before I absolutely lose all hope!

You can always start a virtual assistant business from home. Google for virtual assistants. They are big in OZ .

If you want any more info let me know.

Good luck

Andrea

You can always start a virtual assistant business from home. Google for virtual assistants. They are big in OZ .

If you want any more info let me know.

Good luck

Andrea

Thanks for the advice Andrea - will give it a go today! Here's hoping! Thanks again.

Hi

where are you on the gold coast. We have been here just over a year and love it too.

good luck with the job search. If you want to chat further, pm me

we also came via the UK

cheers

Edited by sa2uk2oz

• 1 month later...

Hi we have been in the Gold Coast for 5 months and still Battle to find work for my wife or to get her studies recognize.She is an Accountant a Pharasist Assitant a weding planner and a beauty tecnition. If you guys what to get together let me know.

Regards

Petrus

Hi M&Z

Contact your local Skilling Solutions. Its a Government Org in QLD. They can turn your past experiences into a qualification and may be able to help u find work. It is for free. Contact them for an appointment.

Callie 1300 654 687

Goodluck

Emma

We have also experienced the lack of opportunities on the gold coast.It is beautiful here , but very limited for work opportunities. If you do get a job it is more than likely in southport or surfers paradise. Both have major traffic jams in the morning/evening. School hours jobs are few and far between . So unless you prepared to travel to Brisbane each day, it could take you a while to find work.

Having said that, I am sure if you keep trying you will find something.Perhaps enrol in a tafe course?

Best of luck,

AWTY.

Are we there Yet? said:
We have also experienced the lack of opportunities on the gold coast.It is beautiful here , but very limited for work opportunities. If you do get a job it is more than likely in southport or surfers paradise. Both have major traffic jams in the morning/evening. School hours jobs are few and far between . So unless you prepared to travel to Brisbane each day, it could take you a while to find work.

Having said that, I am sure if you keep trying you will find something.Perhaps enrol in a tafe course?

Best of luck,

AWTY.

I have the same problem.I have been in the Gold Coast since August 2008 and still have not found any work.I have B-Com Accounts and BCom Financial management Hons degrees with 16 years senior management experience as general manager finance at a large company.

I am starting to get really nervous as my savings are running out and I am widowed. No husband to help!!I have a 9 year old son thus working in Brisbane will not be an option as after care closes by 18h00.

Please can anyone help.I came to the Gold Coast because I had work at a South African accounting firm and once I got here and already settled my son in school they said that unfortunatly business is bad and the cannot employ me anymore.

Anything will help!

Thanks

P

Hi there, perhaps I can help. I am based in PE, South Africa, but have dealings with an ex South African, who now lives in Gold Coast and runs his own businesses. He is involved in Financial Planning etc. Kindly forward me your cv and I will forward onto him and ask if he perhaps has anything available in your field. No promises, but I can only try. He always says how there is such a shortage of good financial people in Oz. I am actually currently a recruitment consultant, so I will treat this with the utmost confidentiality.

MANDIBRENT said:
Hi there, perhaps I can help. I am based in PE, South Africa, but have dealings with an ex South African, who now lives in Gold Coast and runs his own businesses. He is involved in Financial Planning etc. Kindly forward me your cv and I will forward onto him and ask if he perhaps has anything available in your field. No promises, but I can only try. He always says how there is such a shortage of good financial people in Oz. I am actually currently a recruitment consultant, so I will treat this with the utmost confidentiality.

Hi

Thank you so much.I was really getting desperate.Was starting to think very negative thoughts but then there is always

nice ,kind people like yourselve who helps out.

Regards

P

Hi there,

No problem, happy to help. I have sent of your cv and will let you know if I hear anything. Hang in there!!