The hidding job market

ottg

Hi Everyone

I have posted this somewehere else before but it disppeared in all the postings. I have noted many people ask about getting a job in the trade. I would like to give you my opinion based on my experience with the Industry in Western Australia. You don't always have to work through an agent

a. Many employers do not advertise because of the lack of respondents.

b. Many of the larger companies have their own website where you can apply

c. For the Trade Industry there are certain safety courses that mines expect applicants to have. In fact a local WA training company is planning to start offering those courses in South Africa to make it easier for prospective immigrants to apply for positions

d. It was mentioned elsewhere on this forum to be prepared to apply for a lower entry position just to get the chance to be trained

e. There are specific recruitment agencies that focus entirely on the Trade Industry (Diesel, Electrical, Airconditioning, plumbing) eg Skill, Drake etc I will tell you how to find them a bit later.

f. The hidden job market is big. Why? Because companies are tired to advertise for tradesmen and not getting quality applicants.

If you care to look on this website; http://www.perth-sa-migrant-support.com.au...information.php

At the end of the page you will find 2 directories: (a). Chamber of Commerce and Industry Directory (b)The Resources & Energy Project Services (REPS) Directory

First find your way around in how to search them. Then search for eg. "diesel engines" and you will get all the details, contact person, numbers and services delivered by the related companies in WA. Either go on their website and apply or contact them directly BUT make each application unique and address the potential concerns an employers may have.......provide them with your excellent service proposition.....make a deal. Even consider coming out by yourself, secure the job before bringing your family out!

Hope this will help you and others!!

• 2 months later...

I have just added information obtained from a professional Australian consulting company about

Career transition management. I have tied this into our existing information and I believe it may be the missing link for some.

See: Perth Services and Migrant Support

Hope it helps someone!

• 4 weeks later...

c. For the Trade Industry there are certain safety courses that mines expect applicants to have. In fact a local WA training company is planning to start offering those courses in South Africa to make it easier for prospective immigrants to apply for positions

Hi, I am a earthmoving mechanic. These caurses will be aplicable to me where can I find out more?

I am waiting for my PR to be granted and would like to do them in the meantime.

Tjaart