Budget - South Australia

Avida

Hallo specifically to all the Adelaidians!

I have read through all the "budget" posts on the forum and have come to several conclusions, but firstly that there is still confusion regarding weekly/monthly expenses. E.g. is rent on the internet web sites normally indicated as weekly expenses, or monthly? How about water, gas and electricity?

Below is a basic list that I have compiled from all the great posts and spreadsheets already published on this site.

I would greatly appreciate the input of people in Adelaide (and more specific the ones staying in the Hills) to give me an indication of what we can expect. Add and Remove as much as you want from the list, as this is a compilation of budget entries from different states etc.

(My budget would be based on renting a house, buying one car, 1 child in primary school, 1 in pre-school)

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Home

Rent

Council Rates

Electricity

Water

Water Usage Charge

Insurance

Maintenance

Gas

Transport

Car Repayment

Car Insurance

Car License

Petrol

Maintenance

Public Transport

Communicaton/Entertainment

Internet

Home phone

Mobile 1

Mobile 2

FoxTel

Medical

Private Medical Aid

Pension

Pension

Education

School fees

Creche

General Expenses

Groceries

Clothes

Bank Fees

Most prople's wges or salaries are oaid weekly (for tradesmen) or fortnightly (for office workers and public servants, both working for the State gov't, Commonwelath (Federal) gov't or local council)

People often thing and talk in terms of weekly or fortnightly amounts, as a result.

Rent is per week, so when they advertise $300, it means per week.

Rates on private property are yearly, or can be paid per quarter.

My power bill is per quarter, but can be monthly or bi-monthly, if requested.

"Rego" (car registration) is quarterly, half yearly or yearly.

Car insurance is half yearly or yearly.

Phone bills are monthly, but can be two or three months' at a time.

Mobile phone bills are monthly

Hallo specifically to all the Adelaidians!

I have read through all the "budget" posts on the forum and have come to several conclusions, but firstly that there is still confusion regarding weekly/monthly expenses. E.g. is rent on the internet web sites normally indicated as weekly expenses, or monthly? How about water, gas and electricity?

Below is a basic list that I have compiled from all the great posts and spreadsheets already published on this site.

I would greatly appreciate the input of people in Adelaide (and more specific the ones staying in the Hills) to give me an indication of what we can expect. Add and Remove as much as you want from the list, as this is a compilation of budget entries from different states etc.

(My budget would be based on renting a house, buying one car, 1 child in primary school, 1 in pre-school)

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Home

Rent

Council Rates

Electricity

Water

Water Usage Charge

Insurance

Maintenance

Gas

Transport

Car Repayment

Car Insurance

Car License

Petrol

Maintenance

Public Transport

Internet

Home phone

Mobile 1

Mobile 2

FoxTel

Medical

Private Medical Aid

Pension

Pension

Education

School fees

Creche

General Expenses

Groceries

Clothes

Bank Fees

Below is stuff that I use for my budgeting and it is reasonable up to date: I am too lazy to disect it into your items and the alignment got lost from my spreadsheet.

Two of the biggest expenses that I didnt budget for was the Bond and advance payment on the house which was $2500. The other one was the licensing and registration of the car which amounted to $600.

I bought a 2001 Hyundai Accent for $6 000. It has les than 100 000km and in reasonable condition. The general idea here is that around 200 000km is low km!

I presently dont have short term insurance and I am not planning anything soon (I love living dangerously!) After being used to Africa.....

House rental $340.00 Inclusive of : Garden Services, Alarm

House Deposit Bond + 2 Weeks rental

Electricity $21.00 Paid Quarterly

Gas $11.00 Paid Quarterly

Water $17.00 Paid Quarterly

Car 0

Insurance

Car licence $12.40

Public Transport

Petrol $50.00

Food $150.00 (this is skimping and should rather be around $250-$350)

Telephone $92.00 2x PAYGO + 3G Internet

Medical

School Clothes

School $30.00

Foxtel $64.00

I hope this helps.

Regards

Hans

Thanx Bob and Hans!

Hans, would I be correct in saying that all your expenses listed are weekly, unless indicated otherwise?

A

Would appreciate it if one or others would also share typical expences and cost. If you won't like to post it, consider PM'ing me the info?

Thanx

A

Thanx Bob and Hans!

Hans, would I be correct in saying that all your expenses listed are weekly, unless indicated otherwise?

A

Yeah mate! You must be careful with the Gas and Electricity as these are from a local in my area. We stay in Redwood Park, in the hills and it gets very cold here so the gas heaters ran constantly for 2.5 Months and it cost around $100 for the first moth. It tapers down dramatically in summer though, so this is the average. We are also realising that the food budget is too low but we could just survive on that. We (me, wife and 8 year old skinny son) can live off that for some months as we buy meat in bulk and this not shown on the budget. We will be increasing the food budget to around $250 per month.

Hans

For a family of 4 (two adults, two teenagers, who generally cost and eat more than adults)

Home

Rent $390 pw

Council Rates

Electricity $700 per quarter

Water $120 p/a

Water Usage Charge

Insurance

Maintenance

Gas $80 p quarter

Transport

Car Repayment $360 p/m

Car Insurance $90 p/m

Car License $590 p/a

Petrol $400 p/m

Maintenance $1000 p/a

Public Transport $80 p/m

Internet $39.99 p/m

Home phone $38 p/m

Mobile 1 $50 p/m

Mobile 2 $10 p/m

FoxTel $63 p/m

Medical

Private Medical Aid $360 p/m

Pension

Pension 9% of income - automatically deducted

Education

School fees $2000 p/a (2 in high school, one child IB)

Creche

General Expenses

Groceries $150 p/w

Clothes $150 p/m

Bank Fees $5 p/m