Yet another DAFT question

Just B

I'm sort of aware of the fact that you generally send your child to a school in your area. NOW when you arrive and want to get kiddy in school a.s.a.p BUT don't know where you will be living until you secure employment, how do you go about selecting a school?

Just B

No one over come this issue?

I don't have an answer for you, JustB. But I would also like to hear other people's opinions on this.

A

We knew where hubby would be working, but not where we would be staying. The kids missed about three weeks of school. We only enrolled them when we found a place to stay. Didn't want to move them after three weeks.

Hi there,

You can only enrol your child in school when you have a lease agreement signed within the school's catchment area/zone. They will not even consider your application without proof that you actually live within their area.

The exceptions are:

If you enrol in a private school - they don't care where you live as long as you can afford to pay the fees!

If the school you select has dwindling numbers for some or other reason, they will take your application. If this is the case, research WHY the numbers are down - sometimes the suburb is mainly older folk with kids already out of school, old established houses and possibly no little friends for your kids?

Keep in mind though that (depending on where you live) morning traffic could be hectic so you don't want to be schlepping across town, and your child will then have different friends at home and school as they live in different areas.

We stayed in Temporary accomodation (arranged by the sponsor) for a month and did not enrol the kids as we didn't really enjoy the area and we did not want them to have to move schools. We also first found a school we really liked, and then looked at houses ONLY in that catchment area. Be VERY careful with zoning as the agents don't always know the exact boundaries - sometimes one side of a street is in a different zone to the other side - freaky! Rather get an exact map from your school of choice.

Good luck.

zorba

:)

Edited by zorba

We got here and was not sure of the schools or a job but had a rental house. So we got the kids going to the school close by. The jobs we got was in the city, close to our rental.

The rental was short term only so we got a long term place close by. By then we had a better idea of the schools in the area and we move the kids to the school we prefured.

Hope this help, otherwise let me know

Jaco

Generally B, it's best to do as much research beforehand and find out what areas have good schools. Then you work out which of those areas you can afford to live in (and long term to buy in). If none, you may consider some of the more affordable private schools. It is very rare that people move very far away from where they secure short term accommodation, so try to get that in an area you would feel comfortable living in. What type of jobs are you in, and maybe we Adelaideans can advise as to where you are likely to work. Most Adelaide employment is either in the CBD or in some general main areas of employment like Port Adelaide (trades, shipbuilding etc.) or Salisbury (trades, engineering, defence etc.) or Lonsdale (trades, engineering). Adelaide is not a huge city to commute around either so it's probably no great disaster if you don't live a 5 minute drive from work in the end.

As Zorba said you mostly need to show a minimum 12 month rental contract if you want your enrol your kids in especially the better regarded schools. Legally you may keep the kids out of school for up to 3 months, so take it easy and do the research first, don't rush into things. You also want to see what the child(ren) think of the schools, so take them with you when you visit.

I may have been a little over zealous, it appears that there will be sometime before the little one goes back to school as we will be arriving 25 Nov '08. I would love to be based in the south (Edwardstown) or surrounds. The company again that I would love to be employed by is in the south. I am in Quality Assurance in manufacturing so it's either North or South.

Thanks for all your input.

Regards

B

Are you troops going over on the same plane as Kirsten and family??

Hi Bob,

Just B and red are married, we are the mad troop (Kirsten and Bernard and Becca) coming over on the 25th...

:)

red

Does that mean you're actually sitting next to each other all the way to Australia????

. . . . . I will figure some things out in Life one day! . . . one day!!