what do I need to know when buying a house?

Reinhardt & Christa

Hi all!

I know this is maybe a little pre-mature, seeing that we are not yet in Aus, but I thought that I might as well post it now; it may just be of help to somebody else too.

I want to buy a house as soon as I can after arriving in Australia and would like to know the ins and outs of doing that. For example, I understand that if I am there on a 457 visa I need to get permission from the government to purchase property, whereas on a PR it is not necessary. Also, what other considerations are there, such as the equivalent of the South African "Transfer Fees", when buying a house? Are there implications when buying a second or third property? Is it better to buy in my personal capacity, or should I do it in a trust or company? What are the tax implications (Capital gains tax comes to mind)? What considerations are there when buying to rent? (My long term goal, 20 - 30 years from now, is to own a number of properties and rent them out.) Should I rather consider joining or starting a property syndicate, or go it alone? Are there any good books on the subject that will give me some of the answers, or possible someone can recommend a good consultant?

I understand that my best bet would probably be to consult a property lawyer when I get there, but I would just like to get a feel for it so that I am not totally clue-less and have some basis to work from.

Any comments or pointers will be greatly appreciated, and also possible questions to ask said lawyer when I get there! Lastly, is there somebody else that will be interested in such a venture?

Thanks! :blush:

Hello R & C - We would be very keen on such a venture and I'm going to watch your replies with interest. It has always been a 'hobby' of ours & we've bought & sold 5 properties now, always for a profit.

Knowing we are probably nearing the end of the huge property boom here, I would be very cautious just to go over & start buying without a lot of research, as you are doing.

We also live in PTA, in Lynnwood. Where are you moving to? :blush:

Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn

As I said we are very much in the beginning stages of such a venture, but very keen none the less. After we have settled down there I will probably take it further, then we can chat about the possibilities. The returns might be diluted if one does it in a group, but the advantage is the added buying power. As I get more info I will post it.

Thanks for the info so far Lara & Johan, I will have a look.

We are aiming for Melbourne, but not really too fussy. Out main aim is just to get there! :unsure:

I have not looked at it in detail but this site may also be very helpful.