457 visa application success rate

sharksfan

Hi to all!

We are half way there....hubby got offered a job to be sponsored on a 457 visa....Yay! :ilikeit:

Now we have to begin the process of packing up here in freezing London and orchestrate the move to Oz via SA. This means giving notice on house, childminders, jobs etc. :whome:

My big concern is that we do this and what if the visa is declined :o ....does anyone know of this happening on a 457 application? Or is it a case of "if a company want you then the visa is a formality"?

Thanks a mil!

Sharksfan :blush:

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey Sharksfan,

OH WOW !! This is excellent news and I am so excited for you ! I don't know of anyone having their 457 declined, only reasons I could see for this could be misrepresentation (e.g. lying about your qualifications/capabilities or forging qualifications) or maybe a serious health condition. No worries there for you, I'm sure you will be fine. Good luck with all of the organizing, packing and goodbyes. Looking forward to having you in Australia ! :o

Love from Sydney

Sunshine Sister

:ilikeit:

Hi Sharksfan,

Congrats on the job offer!

I can understand that you are hesitant, we were too. I refused to do anything permanent before we had our visas in hand. Boy, was that a mad rush to get everything done!

Usually a company will do their homework well before even applying for a 457 for you. Remember that it is costing them a lot of money, and they will make pretty sure they don't lose it. The reasons SS has mentioned is basically the only ones that might keep you out. And in saying serious medical condition, it really means serious. I know of a few people with pretty serious medical conditions, or bad history, who have made it in, without any problems. Wish I had known this before we left, it would have saved me a lot of agony. :blush:

In the end, you have to make the decision that is right for you.

Greetings,

Dreamy

hi sorry to put a spanner in the works

but a agent that I know personally told me personally today that he had a visa for someone and had to decline him on the basis that the contract he was getting the person out on fell through, so although the visa itself was NOT declined the job offer fell through from the employers side .

Cheers

This visa process specifically calls for a lot of faith (heaps and heaps). We have sold everything, tied up our businesses and just had 6 suitcases full of clothes in our possession on the day our visas were approved - pretty stressful it was, I must add. But a huge learning curve is has been to really believe that things will work out and put your trust in the Hands of the One that leads the way. It has been easier for us to deal with other problems or challenges since we got here as we now approach everything in the same manner!!!

But to answer your question - I agree with SS - false information and a very serious medical or health condition can lead to a declined visa. One other thing to remember is that if the sponsor company is not an approved business sponsor yet, they also need to go through an approval process and meet specific requirements.

Best of luck!!!!

Rialet

Hello again - thanks so much for your responses and well wishes. We are super chuffed and are really trying to keep our feet on the ground! Not get too carried away - SO easy to do in these circumstances. As I speak, the weather in London is TERRIBLE - wet, grey...you know the score. This only makes me more excited as we may not have to endure the entire winter here. :blush:

We have decided to hand in the notice on the house (2 months!!) and then have faith that it will all work out. So lots of prayers going out from us at the moment.

Will keep you posted on how we get on.

Have a lovely weekend!

Cheers,

Sharksfan ;)

Hi Sharksfan

Yes, they can be declined, but mostloy for the reasons already mentioned. They are fairly quick, so you will not have to suffer to long before you get an answer. I know how that feels, I came over on a 457 myself. I got an answer in 5 days or so from applying, so just hang in there.

Congrats, and ( almost ) welcome to Australia. Keep in touch

PS: If you hurry you can witness the Aussies whip the Poms in the Ashes cricket :blush:

Marius ( Blue bulls fan ;) )

Hi Marius - thanks for that...dont think i could handle much more nail biting!! :thumbdown:

Well done on the rugger, I reckon the Blue Bulls have hit their straps and are just about unstoppable...Go Pierre Spies!!!!

Btw when you got your 457 visa, did you get the visa on arrival or did you have to send your passport off to get it stamped in. Sorry for silly question, however an Aussie firm are applying for us however they have not advised us on this piece yet.

cheers

Sharksfan :ilikeit:

Hi Sharksfan,

We did exactly what you did last year this time and left the UK at the start of the winter! It was great to know we would be missing the grey, dark months of January and February!

Do yourself a favour and go and visit all your favourite spots in London one last time. We did quite a lot of toursity things just before we left and took loads of pictures. Sometimes in this sunny country we miss the beautiful old buildings and history of the UK, but we are still happy to be here!

All the best

Y

Hi Sharksfan,

No questions are silly. You're only silly if you don't ask them. :thumbdown:

You have to send your visas to the high commission in Pretoria to have your visa stamped (evidenced I think they call it?) into it. Some overseas companies make use of VFS, who basically acts as a middleman/courier type service. You will be advised on how to go about getting your visa when they let you know that it has been approved.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Yvonne - yes, we are thrilled to have the opportunity to leave BEFORE the winter sets in - it puts a spring in my step! LOL - :whome:

Thanks, Dreamy...there is so much to think of!

We just heard back from the agency today and they said they have not had a 457 visa knocked back yet - so that is definately a good sign. We have to have some XRays done next week, so hopefully we are on track.

Keep you all posted.

Sharksfan :unsure:

HI Sharksfan,

Yes, you have to send your passport away to PTA for the visa to be validated into the passport(s) by the Austrtlian embassy. The Australian embassy have contracted VFS for this puspose, they act as middleman ( for a fee of course ) and will courier your passport back and forth. You can give it in in person at the Aussie embassy, but by arrangement only, they are quite strict on that, I suppose they are bombarded by Saffers wanting to leave :whome: . I am not sure the situation if you are outside SA.

The x-rays have to also be send by a nominated courier, the doctor has to arrange and handle this part ( sending the x-rays to Austrlia ) and you pay ( alweer ). We had options of express etc, I chose express, it costs a bit more but the x-rays were in Ausralia within 4 days, our case officer e-mailed and let us know it arrived ( actually I pestered her to let me know hehehe :lol: ). We got an answer on our visa a day later and arrived in Australia 3 months later.

Hang in there, the move is a bit hectic but well worth it.

Go BULLS ! :unsure:

Hi Sharksfan,

I know exactly how you feel as we are in the same boat. We have been offered a 457 but have had endless delays, too long a story. As of today we have still not been issued with the visa but our house is sold, they start packing our container today, kids finished school at the end of last term, animals have been rehomed, furniture has been sold, all investments cashed in, broken off all ties with RSA and OH YES.....................STILL NO VISA!!! :)

The company are not too stressed, our medicals are all done, a house has been secured for us by them, 4 bedrooms and a pool, and today we received an email asking hubby re: uniform size so they can order his uniforms, they have booked us into a holiday cottage on the beach while we wait for our visas but still alot of stress on our side as ..........STILL NO VISA!!!

Here's hoping for your sake as well as ours that all goes smoothly and they pick up the pace. Good luck and have lots of faith that all will be okay, I know it's difficult because you think of all possible scenarios and imagine the worse.

Colton

Sharksfan,

Enjoy your holiday back "home". I have my mom here now and loving every moment. I am a little apprehensive about not having her to fall back on when needed. Hope things go smoothly for you, especially with the kiddies. Good luck

Colton

Hi Colton,

I have been following your posts with interest and sympathy - I can only imagine how you must feel...this whole process is really gut-wrenching and we are only just about to hand in our application, so newbies really. It is great that your hubby's company is so accomodating and doesnt seem phased by the delay. I guess that is one less thing to worry about.

My hubby's co are keen to get him there asap - despite taking 3 months through the interviewing process, it seems they want him there as soon as the visa is approved. We are planning to leave London and head to SA for a week or two before hubby goes to Gold Coast on his own to set things up and settle into his job. The kids and I will follow a month or two later - we have a 6 week old baby and a VERY active 2 year old to contend with so logistics are a nightmare and Christmas is around the corner! :)

And of course ALL of this is dependent on us getting that visa! ;)

Let us know when you get the visa! :)

Sharksfan

Hi Colton

I am so glad to hear that there are other people in the same boat as us!! We have been waiting for our 457 for 14 weeks now - we are all packed up and ready to go. According to Dima there is a delay on all 457's. We are working through a Sponsor and all sponsors had to go through a audit but my best friend got a direct job offer like you and she is aslo waiting. Nobody can tell her how long the 457's take these days.

Pease let me know when you receive your visa!!

Leana

quote name='colton' date='Oct 10 2006, 04:01 PM' post='13547']

Hi Sharksfan,

I know exactly how you feel as we are in the same boat. We have been offered a 457 but have had endless delays, too long a story. As of today we have still not been issued with the visa but our house is sold, they start packing our container today, kids finished school at the end of last term, animals have been rehomed, furniture has been sold, all investments cashed in, broken off all ties with RSA and OH YES.....................STILL NO VISA!!! :rolleyes:

The company are not too stressed, our medicals are all done, a house has been secured for us by them, 4 bedrooms and a pool, and today we received an email asking hubby re: uniform size so they can order his uniforms, they have booked us into a holiday cottage on the beach while we wait for our visas but still alot of stress on our side as ..........STILL NO VISA!!!

Here's hoping for your sake as well as ours that all goes smoothly and they pick up the pace. Good luck and have lots of faith that all will be okay, I know it's difficult because you think of all possible scenarios and imagine the worse.

Colton