Cost of container

Helena G

Hallo everyone,

I was just wondering what the costs will be if we were to take a container over to Oz....? We would like to take our dining room table (8 seater), twin set fridge & refridgerater, our pc, maybe some beds....the other stuff we have don't really need to go.

How does the containers work? Do you buy a specific size or is there only one size? I have read that some of you guys on the forum have spoken about your containers arriving etc.

I would really appreciate it if somebody can give me an idea of what the costs would be and also if you can give me company names (regarding containers etc).

Take care,

Helena :o

Hi Helena G

I have seen prices for 20ft containers bandied about at R35-40,000 to ship to Australia.

You get containers for international shipment in only two sizes, a 20ft and a 40ft. Most people use a 20ft, we did, and we fitted a four bedroomed house's furniture in there, quite easily. When you take a full container, it is packed, sealed, and can then be shipped immediately. There is also less chance of losses, as the container is sealed in front of you and that seal should remain unbroken until it reaches Australia.

If you only wish to take a few things, you send, what they call, a part shipment. They will come and collect the stuff you wish to ship, take it to their warehouse and there it will wait until they have a full container load to ship. Understandably, this could sometimes result in quite a wait. Also, I have heard of a number of people that have had things disappear in this manner.

When we left SA, Magna International did our move, at that time they were excellent.

Mara

Hi Helena - if you search on the forum you will see lots of conversations about the pro's & con's of taking a container. We went to a free seminar with Magna (011) 824-0720 in Midrand. You can phone & ask where & when they are holding their next one. We found it very helpfull as we had no idea of what the rules were, etc.

We are using them in Dec to move to Adelaide and for a 20-ft container it will be R36k (plus insurance, which we are waiving). It doesn't really matter what it weighs, it just depends how full they can pack it.

They say if your container is 60% full at least, it is worth it. You should really do the calculation of what you can sell your stuff here for +R36k, vs. what it will cost you to buy the same stuff in Aus.

We looked online and it would have cost us about R90k to replace the things, so we are taking ours. Remember you may also have to pay extra to live somewhere furnished for 2 months while it is on the water.

At the end of the day, our decision was more emotional than financial, as there are always certain little things you love and want to take that are actually more important to you than a fridge, etc. So we decided to jam-pack a container and then get rid of things there if necessary.

We have also found we will get very little for things second-hand here. I advertised my big glass & chrome dining room table in the Junkmail for R3,000 neg. & didn't get one call...

I think the more sentimental or valuable stuff you have, the more worthwhile it is to take it. If it is quite old already it may be worth just buying new there...It seems it is also possible to hire brand new furniture in Aus quite cheaply.

Hope it helps, Bronwyn

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for the help! Sjoe (maar dis baie geld!)

I did search on the forum but couldn't find any topics regarding containers? But I'll look again! We'll look at it closer to the time.

I really wish you all the best with the rest of your packing and the big move! You really have been a great help so far! Don't know if my husband has answered you yet regarding his previous work at Investec? I did ask him to answer you (I'm not sure what he did), I only met him after. Some portfolio managing or something like that...

Have a nice day!

Helena