To move your worldly possessions or not?

Giz

Hi, all

I'm sorting through the list of things to think of and do for the big move and have just arrived at the bit where it says "decide what to take with...if any?"

Now, I've tried doing some homework: ICON AQIS, etc., etc., for what it was worth, but to put it mildly I'm even more confused than before I started. My employer says he will pay: so my heart tells me to bring everything with ;) , my nerves tell me to sell everything and start over, but it seems such a waste of good money..... :blush: I'm guesing the good old Rand doesn't buy much that side: please prove me wrong!!!

ICON tells me that all wooden stuff (beds, cupbourds, etc.) will have to be re-fumigated once it lands in OZ, at cost!!! If I get a mover, do they sort out customs?

Do I bring the Computer, Washing Mashine(s), TV, VCR, DVD.......?: voltage requirements, PAL, service parts, etc.

What to do, what to do ? :lol:

Basically the only thing that I have sorted is that I will not be able to affort to bring over my 4 puppies (2 of them Great Danes, little darlings :) ) and it breaks my heart. :lol::ilikeit:

:holy::lol::cry:

If anybody can give me a rundown of how one goes about the move, let me know PLEASE !!!!

Hi Giz

If your employer is paying, I would say pack up and bring what you can, it is always nice to have your stuff around you. You will have to pay if you replace everything here, but for now your employer is paying to bring all your stuff here for you.

I do not believe everything about the wooden stuff. Sure it will be inspected and it will only need to be fumigated if they actually find something like borer in it. You may have a problem with cane furniture, or raw wood, but made up and varnished furniture, I don't think so. We certainly had absolutely no problems, but then our SA stuff came via NZ. Perhaps somebody else can shed some better light for you here.

With regard to the computer, washing machine, TV, VCR, DVD.

Voltage is the same as SA, no problem there.

PAL Tv system, no problem there.

Once again, as employer is paying, bring it all, much cheaper, even if they do not last forever.

TV, mostly they work here, sometimes sound problems, but if so, you buy a local video machine for $75 and play the TV through that.

DVD, you may need it for pre-recorded discs bought in SA.

VCR, it does not take up much space, so why not!

Please remember, if you have a queensize bed, make sure you have enough linen, as queensize beds in Aus are 15cm longer than in SA and fitted sheets here will be too big for your bed.

If you have things like bicycles, make sure that they are very clean, especially the tyres, scrub them with a scrubbing brush till they shine.

If you have bushwalking shoes, make sure the treads are very clean.

Camping equipment, make sure any pegs or poles or canvas is absolutely free of dirt.

So, my opinion, if it was me, the employer is paying, cram that container as full as you can.

So sorry to hear about the pups, that would be heart breaking, maybe look at bringing them out two at a time, instead of all four at once. There is nothing that says they have to come with you immediately. Perhaps a good family member can look after two in the meantime whilst you earn dollars here to pay for them to come?

Hope my ramblings have helped!

Good luck, and happy landings.

Mara

Bring everything, even the things you think they may not let in. Just declare them!

Leon

Hi Giz,

Mara is right with the advice she has given you. I also say, bring EVERYTHING! I brought some of my stuff, and everyday I am sorry that I left some things behind. Even if you don't need some of the things, you can sell them at a garage sale here, and get a dollar or ten for it. It is still more than you'll get in SA.

We brought our wooden furniture, and it was not even opened. When I unpacked it, I found loads of dead beetles and moths sticking to the bottom of one item. Thank goodness they did not see it, or the would have fumigated everything! They only opened the boxes containing shoes, and sports equipment (tennis rackets etc.) All our TV's, video's and DVD players worked, no problems at all. Just plug them in and off you go :ilikeit:

Greetings,

Dreamy

Edited by Dreamcatcher

Ek het my tv oorgebring , kon net die klank opvang, mense wat ek ken het ook hulle tv's oorgebring, n panasonic, wou ook nie werk nie, behalwe natuurlik as jy dit gebruik vir n monitor dan sal dit werk.

If you watch it through an Aussie DVD player or through a set-top box it should work.

Ek het my tv oorgebring , kon net die klank opvang, mense wat ek ken het ook hulle tv's oorgebring, n panasonic, wou ook nie werk nie, behalwe natuurlik as jy dit gebruik vir n monitor dan sal dit werk.

Thanx for all the replies, the words of encouragement and advice.

The support on this forum is excellent! :ilikeit:

Thanx mates

:whome:

Hi Giz

As your employer will be paying bring as much as you can.

I don't know about the bigger cities, but here in regional Queensland I find the decent furniture to be expensive and white goods especially.

Be very careful with cane furniture I had a lot of trouble bring in a banana stalk/hyacinth lounge suite cause I was not told that I needed a permit.

To cut a long story short ....bring als wat van belang is. :ilikeit: