Help needed

Madelein

Can anybody give some advice...

How do we go the legal way of bringing money to Oz when we sell our house in SA? After paying off the bond, there will be R300 000,00 available, that we need to get to Australia. The bond is in my husband's name (ons is getroud buite gemeenskap van goedere) and he doesn't have a Tax Clearance in SA. Was without a job the last 3 years before we left in Jan 2004.

Is there any way that we can get the money to Oz without going to SA ourselves?

Can they pay the money directly into our bank account here in Australia or does Marius need to get Tax Clearance in SA?

All help appreciated!

Regards

Madelein

It might be possible.

You can read more on sars.co.za. It seems there are two form so you'll have to decide. Normal form for migrants IT21(a). Most of SARS forms can be done online (somethings still work in SA :unsure: ) You can even ask them questions via net.

Hope you still have family here so they can give it to bank.

else just .....

Thank you Oppermans!

My Father-in-law has full authority to handle Marius's finances. Will get those forms from SARS.

Thanx again.

Madelein

Hi Madelein

You must get tax clearance in order to remit money offshore, which means that your hubby will have to submit tax returns for any years when he was still registered as a tax payer. There is a R900 penalty per return for late submission so its not that onerous in view of the amount you want to transfer out. You'll need to contact SARS and ask for the forms for the years not submitted. If you don't have an SA bank account things might get a bit tricky as all SARS cheques are "not transferable" (can only be deposited into the payees account)

It a really good idea to make sure that you have your tax affairs straight as this could affect things like an inheritance in the future.

Hi there

We were in the same boat as you and wanted to bring out the proceeds from the sale of our house plus our pensions which came through last week. We had to get a letter from the attorney handling our house proving where the money was coming from (eg we hadn't stolen it or been given it by someone else) Then we had to take the letter etc to SARS and then about a week a later we got our tax clearance. We then (well my father) who has power of attorney over both my husband and my accounts had to take the tax clearance which has a total value on it to the bank and then the bank transfer whatever amount we ask for from sa to our account here. You can only go up to the limit you got clearance for. We found SARS really helpful actually but we left it to the last minute and only got tax clearance the day we left.

How does it work if the house is in both our names, can we transfer the money we made on the sale of the house on my husband's name, as he is the one registered for tax and I am not. Or what would you suggest we do?