Going back to visit - visa requirements

Miss H

My baby will be born in Australia in January 2009 and will be an Aus citizen. My husband, myself and my daughter are all SA citizens. I have read on the SA home affairs website that if you are from Australia and hold a valid passport, and a return ticket no later than 90 days after entry, that you are excluded from obtaining a visa. Is this true? So I not need to get a visa for my baby to visit SA? At the same time then I think that when we do our citizenship we will renounce the SA citizenship as we will not need it to go back and visit. Am I looking at this correctly?

Hi Miss H,

Why would your baby be a Australian Citizen? As far as I know the baby get the same citizenship as the parents. If you are in Oz on PR or Temp Visa (not sure which one you have) then your new baby will also just be a Permanent resident.

That is how I have, I may be wrong so if anyone else has more info let me know

Sorry, I still did not answer your question about re entering SA

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy

Tanja

Hi Miss H

Saw that you came over on PR in Feb. I don't think Bub gets citizenship automatically, but I might be wrong. Phone the South African Embassy to make sure what the procedure would be when your baby is born in Oz on PR and how to apply for passport for baby.

All South Afrian dual citizens must enter SA with their South African Pasports. As long as you have a valid Oz visa to return. If baby has Australian passport or visa to return, it would be fine. This will extend your visiting period in SA

Please let us know what you found out, it may help other that might be in the same boat.

Regards

Madelein

This is what I have read on the Australian citizenship website. This would mean that the baby is an Australian citizen but only because we are permanent residents.

Whether you are an Australian citizen by birth depends on the date of your birth.

People born in Australia on or after 20 August 1986 become Australian citizens by birth if at least one parent is an Australian citizen or a permanent resident at the time of the person’s birth.

A child born in Australia to parents who are not permanent residents or Australian citizens acquires Australian citizenship automatically on his or her 10th birthday provided the child is ordinarily resident in Australia. Children born in Australia to foreign diplomats do not acquire Australian citizenship.

Hi Miss H,

Why would your baby be a Australian Citizen? As far as I know the baby get the same citizenship as the parents. If you are in Oz on PR or Temp Visa (not sure which one you have) then your new baby will also just be a Permanent resident.

That is how I have, I may be wrong so if anyone else has more info let me know

Thankfully you are wrong. A child born to parents on a PR visa are Australians!!!! Nice hey!

See PT LABS for more info http://ptlabs.com.au/visas/faq.php#pcm005

Miss H.

To travel back to RSA on your SA Passport, all you need is to make sure that you OZZIE VISA IS STILL VALID. If it is not you need to apply for a return residents visa. Baby needs a valid Australian Passport, normal issuing time is about 10 working days from application. you can submit your application at any Australia post office once you have the babies birth certificate. I suggest that you go and collect a form now, as they also require full birth certificates and full

marriage certificate of ther parents.

For the baby to travel to SA , no visa required for a stay of upto 60 days.

Regards

Enrica

thanks Enrica. We can always rely on you for information. You are what makes this forum!