Becoming a Chartered Accountant

candz

Hi All,

I am seeking some advice on how I will go about on becoming a CA in Aus.

I am are currently working in the field of IT(programming), after completing a BSC in IT and Finance. I have been working for two years.

In the meantime I have been completing a BCOM Accounting degree part time, and am extremely dedicated to become a CA. I will be in my final year next year, I do not want to do honours as I want to get to Aus as soon as possible, and after reading this blog, I have gathered it will be the best thing.

I have phoned many of the accounting firms in Aus and they will only consider my application if I am "an international student which has completed two years of tertiary education at one of the Australian Universities" or "am a resident".

I would have to start with a Graduate programme, even though I am an "experienced professional in IT" I am a grad in Accounting.

I would like to start my Independent visa application, and considering the fact that I am only 23 years old I don't have a huge amount of cash, I don't want to go through this whole process and get to Aus and not be able to become a CA, as I doubt I will be able to study in Aus(due to financial reasons).

I know that I will have to complete studies in Australian Tax and Law, but found out from fellow bloggers(really helpful - thank you) that I can do this through Open Uni at a cost of about R12 500 (which im sure is a lot cheaper than doing it in Aus).

I have researched the whole application process and I understand all the costs involved, I have saved up and am ready to go through the process.

I do not want to get to Aus and work in IT, as I want to start the process of becoming a CA ASAP.

So after my long explanation my questions:

• Is anyone in the same situation as me?
  • If I complete the courses here through correspondence will I be accepted even though is a 14 week course and not 2years as the requirements state?
  • I plan on recognising my first degree(BSC) for my visa application (as I want to have my visa by the end of next year). Once I get my Accounting degree(end of next year) I will recognise that once in Aus(as I want to be there in Jan 2010). So could I still be accepted by an Accounting firm even though I will only recognise my BCOM ACC degree only once I am in Aus.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Well, I'm not too sure about the educational requirements in AUS but it looks like they are far less fussy than SAICA in SA and you have more than one option ICAA or CPA. I would complete the B.Com Accounting here since you started the process all ready and next year you can start with the TAX and law conversion courses.

Just something to note the CA/CPA qualification does not quite have the same stature in AUS/US as it does in SA you will earn good money but as a IT professional with an accounting background you may be able to earn more as say a SAP implementaion or Hyperion implementation consultant.

If you qualify with your IT degree and experience just use that on your visa application. Once you get to AUS on a PR visa (175/176) you can pretty much do whatever you want without having notify DIAC of any job related changes.

Thanks for the advice

The reason why I am doing accounting is to get out of IT, even though I could possibly earn more, funniliy enough, its really not about the money.

I will complete my BCOM here, i am just not going to do honours.

I just want to know if I do the conversion courses in Tax and Law here, if I will be accepted by the accounting firms, pref the big 4?

There#s a worldwide shortage you shouldn't have any problems if you are willing to start at the bottom first year/graduate level. The salary initially may be a bit tight ... Seems you know what you want to do. They won't sponsor you from SA as you don't have any experience but once you get there/get your visa you will get in easily.

When I phoned the "big 4" they said they do not empoly/or even consider non-residents for interviews. I spoke to the HR departments. Is this their strategy to "put us off"? Or do you know if this is the case???

Sorry for all the questions.

The reason why I am doing accounting is to get out of IT, even though I could possibly earn more, funniliy enough, its really not about the money.

Hi Candz,

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm also trying to get out of IT - 17 years is long enough! The funny thing is that I've been accepted into an Australian University but was declined by a South African one! Just goes to show that places like Australia allow one to follow one's dreams without prejudice.

When I phoned the "big 4" they said they do not empoly/or even consider non-residents for interviews. I spoke to the HR departments. Is this their strategy to "put us off"? Or do you know if this is the case???

Hi Candz,

Do you perhaps have a link to the course/courses you are considering at Open Uni ? If so, please would you post them.

Thanks

No problems. When you arrive in Australia a PR visa(175/176_ you are competing with all other residents on a equal foot. They just won't spend money to get you there on a work permit and conduct interviews with you as there are sufficient Australian grads to choose from. When you pass your conversion exams your qualification is just as good as any Aussie grad. The situation is a bit different at levels above entry level as there is a high turnover at the firms hence it is pretty easy once you have any kind of qualification (CA/CPA/CFA/Cima the aussies aren't as fussy as the south africans) with experience to get them to sponsor you. You could make the career change this year all ready and move to an accounting firm in SA all ready while you are studying, this would make it even easier to find a well paying job once you get there.

Also your combination of it and accounting skills would be very desirable in the consulting/advisory divisions of the big 4 you could always use that as your entry point into the profession.

Edited by GTrotter