Where to stay in Perth ??

Volare

Hi there.

I have been in Ausi now for about two months and my job was supposed to bring mw to Darwin. The company sort of changed there mind and would like us to go and stay in Perth.

Family will be arriving in December.

If anybody could advise where there is a nice area to live outside Perth.

We would like to stay more in the country side , but close to the beach if it is affordable.

My son is 11, so ideally there should be a nice school close by.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Try Yanchep/Two Rocks.................country living with the beach ...distance to Perth City about 60 kms

Yanchep to Joondalup is about 30kms...........

Otherwise, try Wannerroo ......thats 30kms to the City , and 10 kms to the beach ....lots of rural properties in Wannerro Shire.

regards

Enrica

Hallo Enrica

I also need suggestions of where to stay in Perth.

I have a daughter that will have to go to University and I have a son that will have to go to High School Grade11

My son have a learning dissability, therefore I need a school that will be suitable to take a child with a learning disability.

We are also Afrikaans speaking so it must be a school with an English program as well.

I would also like to stay as close as possible to the school and university and also maybe in an area not close to the city.

I think this is a tall order.

Suggestions please?

Hi everyone,

Be warned that staying in places like Yanchep/Two Rocks, would only be suitable for people working in the northern part of Perth. To travel to the CDB from there will be a mission and a half, although I know of people doing that. They do have a more relaxed environment over weekends but I sometimes doubt whether its worth it. For that, may be use the Wanneroo suggestion that Enrica has made or even the hills and Swan valley, but that's far from the sea in Perth terms, although beautiful with it's own creeply crawley problems in season.

Sorry Piesang, I don't have any experience with your request.

AA

Hi Piesang,

Firstly, which University will your daughter be studing at :

UWA ( University of Western Australia - is base in Crawley - which is on the SWan River ( Very Expensive)

But that should not be an issue as public transport is fantastic

Notre Dame University - Based in freemantle

Curtin University of Technology - Based in Bentley

ECU ( Edith Cowan University) - Has a campus in Mt lawley and Joondalup

So if you know the university , it would be easier to suggest an area, as all these areas in in opposite directions to each other!!!

Also , you son that is in high school..............public or private school?

Regards

Enrica

Hallo Enrica

At this stage any suggestion regarding university and school will be welcome.

She wants to study a B.Com degree in the business environment

I think finance will be an issue as well.

With regards to my son I think we need to look as something that is

affordable, close to the university and maybe something close to the airport.

I am sure I will play moms taxi for a while.

So it will be son to school, daughter to university and husband to the airport.

Hope this will help.

As I said before maybe a bit of a tall order.

Thank you for your help

Dear Piesang

I suggest that you look at the Uni website and see which university offers you what you are looking for.

The Airport is close to the city centre, but with regards to a school for your son governement schools to look at

Carine Senior High ( North of the River)

Rossmoyne Senior High ( South of the River)

Woodvale Senior High ( North of the River)

Churchlands Senior High School

Duncraig Senior High School

City Beach Senior High School

Someone is going to have to travel I am afraid..

Good Luck

Enrica

My hubby is going to be working near the airport, in a place called Forrestfield in the Shire of Kalamanda. Well from what we have been told it is fairly near the airport.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Enrica

Also need some advice, I will be working in Northbridge, we have 2 boys , 4 and 6 years old, could you recommend an area, where to start?

H The Magoos

Defintly not to live in Northbridge with 2 kids . Northbridge is so close to the city, that is you are using public transport you have a huge choice.

So really the choice is yours, how far to you want to live outside of the city? How far from the beach or the river.

regards

Enrica

Thanks Enrica, that really narrows it down :lol::lol: Been GOOGLING all day and there is alot of choice.

Edited by MAGOOS

Dear Magoos

I know, Iknow......the choice is huge.

My recommendation is that if you have friends, try and stay close to family and friends especially if your wife is going to be staying at home with kids.

It really helps if they know someone in the area. If you dont know anyone in Perth, next option is to stay in an area that is a favourite with Saffers.

Its always easier for a family to make friends at first. I have seen plenty of families arrive, and the kids and mom stay at home, without transport

and no way of making friends.....that is really bad news for any new migrant family. Depression sets in really quickly.

So, please I know some of you are probably going to disagree with me, but try and make it easier on the person that is staying at home while things sort them selves out.

Those of you planning on moving in December , unless you really have to perhaps reconsider. Kids are out of school for 2 months!!!! Most people really battle to keep themselves sane , especially if you and they dont have friends. Also its an excellent excuse to spend the last Christmas with you famiuly and friends.

If you dont have friend here in Perth , it can be an extremly lonely time over Christmas.

Regards

Enrica

Hi there

We haven't received our visas yet, but my husband will probably be working in Canning Vale. We were just wondering what the Canning area is like? My husband has a friend in Joondalup and he recons we should stay close to him, but I feel it would be easier if we stayed somewhere close to hubby's work. Makes more sense as he will travel to work 5 days out of 7. HELP PLEASE!!!! My nephew is also wanting to know where is best to stay. He will be working close to Perth, but on the North side. His fiance is going to be studying Photography and looks like that will be at Perth TAFE. Any ideas for them? :o

Thanks

Vanessa

Vanessa

For your Nephew, they can stay in an Apartment, Mt Lawley /Inglewood/Subiaco/Scarbourgh beach/or even the City.

Canningvale is a nice area, but once again , it makes it easier for you whom is staying at home , if you are close to some one that you know....welkl that just my suggestion.

Vanessa

For your Nephew, they can stay in an Apartment, Mt Lawley /Inglewood/Subiaco/Scarbourgh beach/or even the City.

Canningvale is a nice area, but once again , it makes it easier for you whom is staying at home , if you are close to some one that you know....welkl that just my suggestion.

Thanks Enrica.... I hope to go to work there as well (even if it is temping or part-time) cos we will need to save furiously in the first few years to make up for what the rand/aus dollar exchange will do to our pension...... I think it is advisable to work there as well from a sanity point of view as I won't have as much to keep me occupied as I have here.... I will only have my one daughter with us. My other is going to Melbourne and my eldest and her hubby are staying behind until she qualifies as CA. We will just have to follow our hearts at first as long as it is a reasonably safe area to stay. It is a scary thing going somewhere that you have never been before. Hey, but it also adds to the excitement..... (my colleague asked me the other day when I said that if I couldn't just have taken up playing board games)

I will let my Nephew know about those areas tho... :ilikeit: He was over not too long ago so has an idea of what things are like, but was only there for 3 days and was in the plane that took a few dives so was pretty shaken for those three days.

Hi Enrica

Which areas closest to the CBD are popular with people from RSA? We cannot stay as far north as Joondalup. Hubbie wants to be home in 15mins! (let's hope...)

D

Hi Enrica,

Since you seem to be the "resident" expert on where to stay in Perth and since everyone else has bombarded you, I am also going to pick your brains.

My husband's brother lives in Joondalup and we have bought a business there and we have to go 6 December because we will be spending December in training at our store so that we will be ready to take over in Jan. Our problem is that 6 December falls around exam times for my niece and nephew so staying with them is not an option and it would probably be cramped, so we have to either rent or buy a place. My husband is going over in two weeks to try and set up accommodation and I have been googling self catering places in the Joondalup area and the prices are horrendous. Do you have any suggestions? We will buy as soon as we can but since our house hasn't sold I cannot send my furniture across and in all likelihood it will only arrive in Jan anyway. So at least for December we need reasonable accommodation for a family of 4 that ain't gonna break the bank. I am not fazed if there is no furniture coz we can just camp and borrow stuff from my brother in law.

Griffcat,

have you thought of going onto reiwa.com or realestate.com.au? You can sometimes get places on a 3 or 6 month lease. The houses range from $300 - $450 a week, depending on the size of house you need, some of them are even fully or partly furnished. Some of the places you can think about staying, that are close to Joondalup are Currumbine, Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Ridgewood, Kinross, Burns Beach, Heathridge, Connolly, Mullaloo, sorrento, Ashby, carramar etc. If you go to the above websites, they will give you links to the estate agents dealing with these areas, why not send them an email and see if they have any houses on a break-lease (where tenants are wanting to break their leases, so the lease will be for the duration of the lease period) or any short term lease properties.

If you go this route then things to consider when your husband comes out are the following, he will need 4 weeks bond (deposit) he will also need references, so it is really helpful if you get a letter from your estate agent in SA (assuming you are selling your house or have sold it) saying that the house was well cared for and in reasonable condition. they will also want to see proof of funds, or proof you will be employed, so a letter confirming you have bought your business. and perhaps reference from your brother inlaw.

Hope this helps

Candice

Griffcat,

have you thought of going onto reiwa.com or realestate.com.au? You can sometimes get places on a 3 or 6 month lease. The houses range from $300 - $450 a week, depending on the size of house you need, some of them are even fully or partly furnished. Some of the places you can think about staying, that are close to Joondalup are Currumbine, Ocean Reef, Mindarie, Ridgewood, Kinross, Burns Beach, Heathridge, Connolly, Mullaloo, sorrento, Ashby, carramar etc. If you go to the above websites, they will give you links to the estate agents dealing with these areas, why not send them an email and see if they have any houses on a break-lease (where tenants are wanting to break their leases, so the lease will be for the duration of the lease period) or any short term lease properties.

If you go this route then things to consider when your husband comes out are the following, he will need 4 weeks bond (deposit) he will also need references, so it is really helpful if you get a letter from your estate agent in SA (assuming you are selling your house or have sold it) saying that the house was well cared for and in reasonable condition. they will also want to see proof of funds, or proof you will be employed, so a letter confirming you have bought your business. and perhaps reference from your brother inlaw.

Hope this helps

Candice

Thanks Candice, this is very valuable info. We have been looking at houses to buy from REIWA but we never thought of a short term lease. It may be the answer, also great to know what he needs to take with.

Thanks a stack :rolleyes:

Dear Griffcat,

Even if your husband can get a empty house to rent you can always rent the furniture that you need until your container arrives.

As Candice said you need 4 week bond Plus 2 week rent in advance.

Your husband can also check out the local papers like the Quokka and the Week-end West Australians.

You will be quite hard pressed to find a furnished rental....short term ie 2 week to 3 months at around $400.00 per week , especially in the summer months .

Just be prepared to possibly have to pay more.

Good luck

regards

Enrica

Hi

Which areas closest to the CBD are popular with people from RSA? We cannot stay as far north as Joondalup. Hubbie wants to be home in 15mins! (let's hope...)

D

Dear Dabb,

The rule of thumb is closer to the city= more expensive to rent/buy

Closer to the beach or river= more expensive to rent or buy

The Old Saffers that came out in the 70 or live in areas like Claremont, Dalkeith, City Beach ,Cottteslo, Peppermint Grove,Swanbourne

These are very pricy areas

Those that arrived later moved further north

So to be home in 15 mins is that driviung your own car or public transport?

Look at areas like Wembley/Woodland/ and Mt Lawley/Yokine/Joondana

Not to sure how many Saffers live there though

Subiaco/Leedervile more geared to the yuppies or Dink ( double income no kids)

Regards

Enrica

Dear Griffcat,

Even if your husband can get a empty house to rent you can always rent the furniture that you need until your container arrives.

As Candice said you need 4 week bond Plus 2 week rent in advance.

Your husband can also check out the local papers like the Quokka and the Week-end West Australians.

You will be quite hard pressed to find a furnished rental....short term ie 2 week to 3 months at around $400.00 per week , especially in the summer months .

Just be prepared to possibly have to pay more.

Good luck

regards

Enrica

Thanks Enrica. :(