Skype settup heeded.

Johan du Toit

I have done a few speed tests between Cape Town and Sydney. I am using my HSDPA vodacom modem. It is enabled for 3.6Mb/s. The results are 628kbps down, 22kbps up, 615ms latency. I have done this test a few times over the past few weeks and this seems like the average results. This tells me that my mother will never be able to use skype video over this link.

Is there anyone who talks to the parents or family via skype video, while there is a HSDPA link on the SA side? Does it work?

If there is anyone who uses skype video to talk to SA and it works well, please give me some details about the link on the SA side.

The Australian side should not be a problem since I will use iiNet's 24Mb/s service. Cant wait! Getting excited all over again.

I have done a few speed tests between Cape Town and Sydney. I am using my HSDPA vodacom modem. It is enabled for 3.6Mb/s. The results are 628kbps down, 22kbps up, 615ms latency. I have done this test a few times over the past few weeks and this seems like the average results. This tells me that my mother will never be able to use skype video over this link.

Is there anyone who talks to the parents or family via skype video, while there is a HSDPA link on the SA side? Does it work?

If there is anyone who uses skype video to talk to SA and it works well, please give me some details about the link on the SA side.

The Australian side should not be a problem since I will use iiNet's 24Mb/s service. Cant wait! Getting excited all over again.

I tried it today funny enough with mixed results. Im not sure if its the way 3g technology transmits packet data or not. It has been fine with a standard DSL line but I did have issues with a 3g phone. It may have been my side so I am not sure???

I tried it today funny enough with mixed results. Im not sure if its the way 3g technology transmits packet data or not. It has been fine with a standard DSL line but I did have issues with a 3g phone. It may have been my side so I am not sure???

I am referring specifically to Skype video. Is that what you tried. In other word: I know voice should work. I want to know about the video quality. Your comments about using a 3G phone led me to believe that you are talking about voice only.

Guest Vermeulens

Hi Werner,

My mom use wireless Iburst and connects at 1MB per sec. It works well, the video .

My heavy (brother-in-law) connects with his cellphone's GPRS connection - terrible, we hardly start talking, then the line is dropped. We can not even manage to chat.

My 2c worth ...

Em

Edited by Vermeulens

Two things about using Skype with 3G (HSDPA)

1. Networks are specific in their terms stating that use of Skype (or other VoIP) services is not allowed and they reserve the right to either charge you up to R20 per meg and/or disconnect you from thier network.

Currently MTN enforces this policy rather vigirously, while Vodacom and Cell-C seem to let it slide occasionally. Try to avoid using your mobile (or HSDPA modem /card) for skype calls.

2. Because of the technology behind HSDPA (3G) to obtain such high speeds, it falls short when it comes to Skype performance, so even a normal Skype voice call breaks up, or drops completely. i-Burst is better than 3G for connectivity, but still drops, or breaks up more often when compared to standard Telkom DSL lines. Even the slowest Telkom line available is gives a great Skype voice call, and allows for a two way video call.

Returned all mobile wireless equipment to Vodafone in Sydney due to atrocious performance. Got myself on Optus ADSL 2+ and the folks back home on Telkom 384 broadband. Voice on mobile wireless was always fine but could never establish a video chat. Now on Optus / Telkom, Bob is your uncle! Never have a problem!!! SMH this week; the cellphone networks are overloaded. I understand the iPone users are pulling their hair out of their heads due to calls and data connections continuously being dropped. My 2c's!

We have had the same problem with both 3g and HSDPA. They simply do not work for us when used on the South African side. However if we skype someone on the slowest ADSL like 384 Kbps, it works fine and can support video and voice.

Me thinks it is a plot against VOIP

I've used skype to different people in both Namibia and south Africa, without any problems. SA side had Telkom ADSL, and vodacom 3G. Namibia had Cell One 3G.