Western Australia licenses

Michelle

To all of you migrating to Australia the good news is you only need to do a theoretical test if you have a valid South African license. I have found a website where you can do some practice tests before you go for the real thing. The link is: http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/learnerdrivers/1465.asp

Ok now in the Northern territory you have to do a theoretical and a practical, however, if you have a valid SA liscence, the practical is just a drive around to see if you can drive. No K53 or anything like that

What if you have a WA licence? Does that allow you to drive in the other states / convert to other state's licences?

If you have a WA liscence you can drive for three months and then you must convert it to that state's liscence.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

Just to clarify, are you saying that if I have a SA licence (and an international 1 yr licence) then I need only do the theory test to drive in WA?

Thanks

Thats right Joee, you pay about $ 40 for the transfer and do the silly little test and the license is yours!

All the six States and two Territories run their own transport and licensing affairs.

This added up over the years to some States having quite different legislation to others, or legislation didn't sychronise very well with other States' legislation, leaving confusion with road rules when driving interstate.

I remember one instance I was driving along the main street in New South Wales in a country town, saw another car on my right in a side street wanting to come onto the major road. In South Australia, at the time, we had to give way to all vehicles on our right, even if they were in a side street and you were on a main road.

I stopped and all the traffic banked up behind me while the guy in the side street just sat there waiting for me to go past. It was confusing and no-one knew what to do.

In 1999, the Australian federal (Commonwealth) gov't chucked buckets of money at all the various States and Territories if they would sign up to "Standardising" their road rules in future, so nowadays all the Transport ministers of the States have a regular up-date to let each other know what rules they'd like to amend and they all must be unanimous with the new rules.

If you are issued with a Western Australian driving licence, you can exhange it, free of charge and without any further tests, for any other licence of another State or Territory if you move house across Australia.

All the road rules across Australia are now more or less similar and you're safe to drive across Australia using WA road rules.

If you've held a South African driving licence for a certain period . . . I beleive at least two years, but just check on that! . . . you only need to take a multiple choice question exam to check on your knowledge of Australian road rules to get a driving licence anywhere in Australia.

By the way . . . . in Australia, we have the English spelling for licence, not the American

A licenCe (noun)

To licenSe (verb)

. . . . so, you obtain a driving LicenCe at a Transport licenSing department office.

In the good ol' U.S. of A., it's the other way around for their spelling.