Qualifications

JacquesV

Hey guys,

I need some input from you all regarding my situation and planned application if we don't get a sponsor.

My job is currently listed in the MODL as sought after (C#,Java software architect/developer). I have loads of certifications via IT related institutions but have not yet formally completed my IT Diploma at the Cape Town Peninsula University of Technology. LONG story but I started the diploma in 95 and dropped out in my 3rd year (could kick myself now :blush-anim-cl: ) and then was BLESSED to be accepted nearly 8 years later to complete it without redoing to whole thing. I have 4 weeks left of this year and 1 subject left next year.

Getting back to my question (as my wife normally directs me when I lose focus ** love you gorgeous :blush: **) , how would the above affect my PR application if I had to apply? I have 9+ years of software development with loads of SOLID experience ect... I'm just worried (as I guess allot are doing this for the first time) that I don't meet the qualification requirements as I have no "formal" (and I use the word VERY lightly) tertiary education.

Any input would be appreciated.

PS...Natalie is studying fulltime doing a BSc in Dietetics and will continue her studies that side.

Thanks in advance

Jacques.

Edited by Jacques & Natz

Hey guys,

I need some input from you all regarding my situation and planned application if we don't get a sponsor.

My job is currently listed in the MODL as sought after (C#,Java software architect/developer). I have loads of certifications via IT related institutions but have not yet formally completed my IT Diploma at the Cape Town Peninsula University of Technology. LONG story but I started the diploma in 95 and dropped out in my 3rd year (could kick myself now :blush-anim-cl: ) and then was BLESSED to be accepted nearly 8 years later to complete it without redoing to whole thing. I have 4 weeks left of this year and 1 subject left next year.

Getting back to my question (as my wife normally directs me when I lose focus ** love you gorgeous :blush: **) , how would the above affect my PR application if I had to apply? I have 9+ years of software development with loads of SOLID experience ect... I'm just worried (as I guess allot are doing this for the first time) that I don't meet the qualification requirements as I have no "formal" (and I use the word VERY lightly) tertiary education.

Any input would be appreciated.

PS...Natalie is studying fulltime doing a BSc in Dietetics and will continue her studies that side.

Thanks in advance

Jacques.

Hi Jaques

I was in the same boat as you - 9 years solid IT experience - no degree - lots of It certs. I had to do the Australian Computer Society's RPL or Recognition of Prior Learning. Basically you write about what you have learned from your IT career - check out their website for more info ACS. It's a huge job but definitely worth it, because when you get a positive assesment on your RPL you should qualify for 60 points on your Visa application and that may allow you to go for the Permanent Resident Visa - as was the case for us.

In the meantime you should be able to get a work sponsor for a 457 visa with your background.

My feeling on this whole matter is - don't wait any longer - start the process ASAP!

Cheers

G72

Hi Jaques

I was in the same boat as you - 9 years solid IT experience - no degree - lots of It certs. I had to do the Australian Computer Society's RPL or Recognition of Prior Learning. Basically you write about what you have learned from your IT career - check out their website for more info ACS. It's a huge job but definitely worth it, because when you get a positive assesment on your RPL you should qualify for 60 points on your Visa application and that may allow you to go for the Permanent Resident Visa - as was the case for us.

In the meantime you should be able to get a work sponsor for a 457 visa with your background.

My feeling on this whole matter is - don't wait any longer - start the process ASAP!

Cheers

G72

Thanks G72,

How long ago did you do the RPL? Do you do test locally? Costs more or less?

Thanks once again!

Ciao ciao

J

Thanks G72,

How long ago did you do the RPL? Do you do test locally? Costs more or less?

Thanks once again!

Ciao ciao

J

Hi J

I did mine at the end of last year - no tests but they have strict guidelines that you need to follow for the RPL and if I remember correctly about $400 AU to have it assessed (probably changed now already)

The RPL process forces you to seriously consider how you have developed over your IT career and I have found that very helpful in other areas already

Go for it!

G72

Hi J

http://www.acs.org.au/index.cfm?action=sho...skillassessment

Look at the criteria for RPL. We also went the RPL route thanks to heaps of working experience and good, SOLID employer references. Before you start to write your RPL take some time to look at the criteria for a good employer reference as required by the ACS. In our case chasing up previous employers and asking for detailed employer references helped a lot to make our application seamless. You may also run a search on the BE forum using keywords like "RPL". You'll find heaps of information and people also in the process.

Best wishes

Hi Jacques,

Please PM me - I've just posted a note under Employment Offered - you might have the skills that we are looking for - G72 can substantiate that we are on the up-and-up :whome: He knows me personally and my organisation.

If you have the right skills, we will offer a sponsored 457 visa, and then support an application for PR when you are eligible.

Looking forward to hearing from you and hope I can help.

Cheers

Ajay

If you do decide to wait until you have your qualification, then you will be able to skip the RPL and just do the skills assessment and save yourself alot of paperwork and some cash. Just a thought seeing as you are so close to the end of studying. My husband got his qualification just before we applied for our 136 visa after years on the job. On the otherhand, if you are not put off by the mountain of paperwork, why wait, the MODL keeps changing and there is no guarantee your job will still be on the list in a years time.