Question to all IT fundi's

blessings

Hey there to all computer fundi's!

My knowledge re computers is very limited. I would therefore appreciate it very much if someone can give me advice on your best brands/makes on the market at the moment. Seeing that I will end up in Oz eventually, I would suppose one has to choose something that is quite familiar. My 'old lady' is packingup and it is time to replace her! Any suggestions?

Ever heard of SAHARA? Can get one for good price. Is this a familiar brand and will I have problems with it in Oz?

Hey there to all computer fundi's!

My knowledge re computers is very limited. I would therefore appreciate it very much if someone can give me advice on your best brands/makes on the market at the moment. Seeing that I will end up in Oz eventually, I would suppose one has to choose something that is quite familiar. My 'old lady' is packingup and it is time to replace her! Any suggestions?

Ever heard of SAHARA? Can get one for good price. Is this a familiar brand and will I have problems with it in Oz?

This is like asking what is the best brand of beer or best brand of car. In Australia I’ll go for a clone built at a reputable Computer Store. Better value for money. Try and get an extended warrantee for the time you plan on keeping the computer.

Hi,

I am a HP fan. Only buy HP at work as quality is good, web site support is excellent and very happy with

my own products at home.

Bye

Sean

Hi Blessings

DON'T go for SAHARA, I can go into a thousand reasons why not - but won't bore you. It's cheap because it's cheap and won't last, don't expect after sales service either. Our company used to sell them, but we got returns on every 2 out of 3 sold.

Dell is very good, a bit pricy but very good and then there's also Mecer and HP.

You don't have to buy top of the range in any brand, depending on what your requirements are.

Hope this helps

Denise

Dell is good as you can choose what you want online and they have good after sale service. Consider a laptop- very affordable in Oz. Ive had two Toshibas now and they are great machines

It all depends on...

Do you want to be portable eg take it on the plane or buy a desktop?

Which software do you want to run - the basic Windows, Office (Word, email) or big applications?

How much are you willing to pay? How much do you want to save on the harddrive - lot's of movies or a few documents and photo's?

Desktops are easy to upgrade and cheaper than laptops.

512M memory is a bit low, rather take 1GB. 120GB harddrive is a good size.

CD/DVD read & writer is a must. Motherboard with Intel duo or quad core.

How big do you want the screen to be? 19inch with resolition of at least 1280x1024 pixels. 4 USB ports (for external mouse, keyboard, monitor, printer, memory stick). Internet connection?

Don't go for the too cheap one's - that is old stock and the PC will be too slow in 2 years