Dependent Parent

Guest colton

As most are aware we are due to leave for Australia, permanently, in the next couple of weeks. My brothers and myself will all be living in Australia then. My folks have been divorced for many years and my dad is now left on his own. He has just had a stroke and won't be able to support or even look after himself anymore. Is there anyway I can get him into Australia with us, he never was dependent upon us but obviously this has changed things? He can walk and talk and feed himself but needs help dressing, bathing etc.

As most are aware we are due to leave for Australia, permanently, in the next couple of weeks. My brothers and myself will all be living in Australia then. My folks have been divorced for many years and my dad is now left on his own. He has just had a stroke and won't be able to support or even look after himself anymore. Is there anyway I can get him into Australia with us, he never was dependent upon us but obviously this has changed things? He can walk and talk and feed himself but needs help dressing, bathing etc.

Hi Colton,

We also wanted to take my mom (also divorced) with us, who is staying with us for the last six years. Unfortunatly, she is still working, but is turning 65yrs in Jan 2006, has no pension fund, might have to retire next year - so - she will be dependent on us. ?? We did a bit researching. Apparently they take the 4 year period before before your application to determine whether a family member, such as a parent qualifies as a "dependent". In other words, you cannot say that a parent will become a dependent in the next months or so. This makes it very frustrating!! You basically have to prove that your parent is depending on you for clothes, food, money etc. 4 years prior to your application.

But, ... you can sort of "buy" your dependent parent a visa, AUS$30 000 - non refundable. (We apply for the 136 visa). There is a lot of different visa types, maybe you can find a different one, don't know. I suggest you contact an immigration agent, we use NISA Immigration, Brenda vd Westhuizen - maybe she can help you? I know that if you are 2 years in OZ, you can start an application for you dependent parent, but apparently that visa can take up to 4 years.!! :thumbdown:

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution!

Regards

Tania

Hi Colton,

We also wanted to take my mom (also divorced) with us, who is staying with us for the last six years. Unfortunatly, she is still working, but is turning 65yrs in Jan 2006, has no pension fund, might have to retire next year - so - she will be dependent on us. ?? We did a bit researching. Apparently they take the 4 year period before before your application to determine whether a family member, such as a parent qualifies as a "dependent". In other words, you cannot say that a parent will become a dependent in the next months or so. This makes it very frustrating!! You basically have to prove that your parent is depending on you for clothes, food, money etc. 4 years prior to your application.

But, ... you can sort of "buy" your dependent parent a visa, AUS$30 000 - non refundable. (We apply for the 136 visa). There is a lot of different visa types, maybe you can find a different one, don't know. I suggest you contact an immigration agent, we use NISA Immigration, Brenda vd Westhuizen - maybe she can help you? I know that if you are 2 years in OZ, you can start an application for you dependent parent, but apparently that visa can take up to 4 years.!! :whome:

Good luck, and I hope you find a solution!

Regards

Tania

Haai daar, my naam is Bosluis( bynaam) alias Marius. My vrou het die immigrasie kantore gebel oor dieselfde onderwerp en blykbaar kan jy jou ours oorbring ook op n gewone vakansie visa en sodra jou ouers hier is kan jy van hier af aansoek doen vir jou ouers om permanent hier te bly as n dependent , wat blykbaar dan gebeur is dat terwyl die aansoek aan die gang is wat n paar jaar kan vat kan hulle hier aanbly en op een of ander manier word die vakansie visa dan verleng of iets in die lyn tot die proses afgehandel is oor n paar jaar, ek sal se die beste is om die immigrasie kantore in australia te bel en self met hulle te praat daaroor, dis wat my vrou gedoen het, hulle is baie hulpvaardig, so ja, dis moontlik, jy sal natuurlik al die onkostes van jou ouer moet dra soos julle weet, kos, klere ens. en ek sal se die beste is om n medies ook uit te neem vir jou ouer aangesien hulle nie staatsmedies sal he nie, ek dink dit werk uit so 350 doller n maand, wat meskien baie is in doller terme maar wat nog steeds beter is as suid afrika se mediese skemas.