Dief-alarms

Allie en Urs

Hi, Ek het opgelet dat baie van die huise wat te huur is, lys n diefalarm as n "extra". Is daar dus baie huisbrake in Perth ?

Dankie :D

Yes, Perth has robberies. But not violent robberies, you dont fear for your life. There was a warning in the local paper by the police telling people to get into the habit of locking up at night when they go to bed as burglars are trying the door and just walking in when they find it unlocked. A friend got burgled when their garage was broken into and they had left the door from the garage into the house wide open for the cat.

I looked at the link JohanK gave and there is no catagory for murder, that says something, doesn't it.

the monthly burglaries - dwellings for Gosnells is terrible compared to Daglish

Jan 06 - 36

Feb 06 - 42

Mar 06 - 34

Apr 06 - 18

May 06 - 49

Jun 06 - 35

Jul 06 - 33

Aug 06 - 60

Armadale, Balga and Girrawheen look pretty grim too

Allie & Urs

In Sydney your house insurance is cheaper if you have an alarm or locks on your windows. It is pretty likely that it is the same in Perth.

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, Perth has robberies. But not violent robberies, you dont fear for your life.

I think that is the key issue - there will allways be crime, the difference is how much, and the way in which it is conducted. There was recently a discussion here as to the "violent nature" of crime here in SA. Peaple say it is the level of poverty. Then someone said it is not the poverty here, but rather the distinct and very visible (and growing) gap between the very rich and very poor. Further north in Africa there is more poverty and yet not the violent nature of crime. When people live in absolute squaller and see the mantions and shiny German cars it's no wonder that they develop a kind of hatred for the successful. Combine that with the history of South Africa and you have a recipe for violent crime. I'm not saying it is an excuse, but rather a possible reason and maybe something that must be addressed before one will see progress in the fight against crime.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Ja hier is defnitief misdaad, maar niks in vergelyking met SA nie, glo my "not a patch".

Jy voel ook veiliger want jou kanse om ernstig gewond te raak of te sterf is ook drasties minder. Hier hoor jy gereeld van 'n ou wat 'n winkel of 'n servo (petrolstasie) met 'n mes of 'n baseball bat aanhou, huh? As Saffer is dit nog vrekken snaaks om te hoor!

Dit vat jou 'n ruk om hier aan te pas en te relax itv misdaad!

En glo my dis lekker!

Lekker ou Slapgat BUG

I think that is the key issue - there will allways be crime, the difference is how much, and the way in which it is conducted. There was recently a discussion here as to the "violent nature" of crime here in SA. Peaple say it is the level of poverty. Then someone said it is not the poverty here, but rather the distinct and very visible (and growing) gap between the very rich and very poor. Further north in Africa there is more poverty and yet not the violent nature of crime. When people live in absolute squaller and see the mantions and shiny German cars it's no wonder that they develop a kind of hatred for the successful.

Sorry R & C I can't agree with you on this ...

I've been to India & other Asian & Afican countries where the "wealth" gap is far larger than it is in SA (these countries were all "colonised" by european countries in the past & have now their freedom) & Poverty is a huge problem but there is no attitude of "entitlement" ! which I believe is the root of the problem in SA & I blame the indoctination by the "liberation movement" for expounding this attitude ...

(just my opinion :) )

Sorry R & C I can't agree with you on this ...

I've been to India & other Asian & Afican countries where the "wealth" gap is far larger than it is in SA (these countries were all "colonised" by european countries in the past & have now their freedom) & Poverty is a huge problem but there is no attitude of "entitlement" ! which I believe is the root of the problem in SA & I blame the indoctination by the "liberation movement" for expounding this attitude ...

(just my opinion :hug: )

I agree with you to an extent, but still think that Apartheid has had a great impact, together with colonisation. Other countries have also had colonisation, but politically they seem much more stable (although I do not claim to be an expert at all!). I think it is a very complex issue and probably not possible to identify a single factor. The important thing at this point though for me is to get my family to a place where I am not worried if they have to travel alone or stay at home when I am out of town.