Singapore

Enrica

I am currently writing this from Singapore. For those of you whom are planning on flying , either to Oz or back to SA to visit family as an airline

Singapore Airlines is great.

On our outbound leg to SA we had a 5 hour lay over in Singapore. The airport is great, and has plenty to offer.

My boys 14 and 13 played PS3 , Xbox360 and virtual sports , did etchings had a meal and watched movies. If you want to have a shower and grab an 1 or 3 hours sleep, you can ( costs about $30.00) . If you have 5 hours in Singapore you can also to a tour for about 2 1/2 hours to breeak the monotony.

Shopping ladies at the airport is excellent.

If you are there for a longer lay over you can book accommodation at the transit hotel in the airport ( they charge for a min of 6 hours)

Service on Singapore is excellent, inflight entertainment superb.

On our way back from SA , I got my oldest son to workout what they wanted to do in Singapore , as we decided to layover for 3 nights.

We have done the touristy things like Sentosa Island, Jurong bird Park and the Zoo. But they also came up with Snow City .....that was great fun we went sliding down the snow slopes this afternoon ....its was a very chilly -21 degrees at snow city, and a hot and humid 32 degrees outside.

For 1 hour of fun including the hire of pants and gloves for 1 adult and the 2 kids that cost SGD$60.00 , which I thought was not to bad. I must admit it was absolute great fun.

The kids also had the Science Discovery Centre, well that was an absolute treat, fantastic place a definte must.

The Kinetic Garden is a treat. Sad to say, but these 2 centres now make Scitech in Perth seem very amateurish.

Then tommorrow its off to Pasar Ris for lunch and a little fishing trip. I was chatting to one of the taxi drivers and he has said, these are not what the normal

tourist does. I am amused that the biys came up with this itinerary.....different to say the least.

So if you are travelling via Singapore, don't hesitate to have a stopover , even if you have kids big or small there is plenty to do.

Cheers

Enrica

I am currently writing this from Singapore. For those of you whom are planning on flying , either to Oz or back to SA to visit family as an airline

Singapore Airlines is great.

On our outbound leg to SA we had a 5 hour lay over in Singapore. The airport is great, and has plenty to offer.

My boys 14 and 13 played PS3 , Xbox360 and virtual sports , did etchings had a meal and watched movies. If you want to have a shower and grab an 1 or 3 hours sleep, you can ( costs about $30.00) . If you have 5 hours in Singapore you can also to a tour for about 2 1/2 hours to breeak the monotony.

Shopping ladies at the airport is excellent.

If you are there for a longer lay over you can book accommodation at the transit hotel in the airport ( they charge for a min of 6 hours)

Service on Singapore is excellent, inflight entertainment superb.

On our way back from SA , I got my oldest son to workout what they wanted to do in Singapore , as we decided to layover for 3 nights.

We have done the touristy things like Sentosa Island, Jurong bird Park and the Zoo. But they also came up with Snow City .....that was great fun we went sliding down the snow slopes this afternoon ....its was a very chilly -21 degrees at snow city, and a hot and humid 32 degrees outside.

For 1 hour of fun including the hire of pants and gloves for 1 adult and the 2 kids that cost SGD$60.00 , which I thought was not to bad. I must admit it was absolute great fun.

The kids also had the Science Discovery Centre, well that was an absolute treat, fantastic place a definte must.

The Kinetic Garden is a treat. Sad to say, but these 2 centres now make Scitech in Perth seem very amateurish.

Then tommorrow its off to Pasar Ris for lunch and a little fishing trip. I was chatting to one of the taxi drivers and he has said, these are not what the normal

tourist does. I am amused that the biys came up with this itinerary.....different to say the least.

So if you are travelling via Singapore, don't hesitate to have a stopover , even if you have kids big or small there is plenty to do.

Cheers

Enrica

Thanks for this, we leave on the 26th, stop in Singapore for two days then onto Brisbane. Have booked a tour to the Sentosa Island, and also the land and water tour. Have heard such nice comments about the place, so quite excited to visit. What are the taxis like from airport to hotels, what sort of rate do you pay for them?

Thanks for this, we leave on the 26th, stop in Singapore for two days then onto Brisbane. Have booked a tour to the Sentosa Island, and also the land and water tour. Have heard such nice comments about the place, so quite excited to visit. What are the taxis like from airport to hotels, what sort of rate do you pay for them?

If there are 2 or more of you its probably better to take a taxi. Depending on where you stay its between SGD14 and SGD 32.00 .

There is a bus that drops off at the hotels, I think that is about SGD 9.00 per person.

If you are flying on Singapore airlines, rememebr to keep your boarding pass as you get discounts on certain tours and certain shops.

I am sure that you will enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Enrica

If there are 2 or more of you its probably better to take a taxi. Depending on where you stay its between SGD14 and SGD 32.00 .

There is a bus that drops off at the hotels, I think that is about SGD 9.00 per person.

If you are flying on Singapore airlines, rememebr to keep your boarding pass as you get discounts on certain tours and certain shops.

I am sure that you will enjoy your stay.

Cheers

Enrica

Thanks so much, the Hotel that we staying at Albert Court in Albert Street (have you seen it?), can organise a car shuttle for SGD70, which i thought was quiet expensive, and wondered what other options we have. It is also the weekend of the Grand Prix, so don't want to get caught with nothing.

Dear Cindy

As I said, either take a taxi or take the airport /hotel shuttles.

Your hotel is located close to Little India and Arab Street there are 2 MRT stations close by so its easy to get around.

Being the F1 week-end, I think that the worst that will happen is that you might have to wait for a taxi or wait for the airport hotel shuttle because its going to be busy.

The Singaporians themselves are extremly excited about this particular event and extremly proud to be hosting a F1 street race , the first of its kind in Asia!!!!

Dear Cindy

As I said, either take a taxi or take the airport /hotel shuttles.

Your hotel is located close to Little India and Arab Street there are 2 MRT stations close by so its easy to get around.

Being the F1 week-end, I think that the worst that will happen is that you might have to wait for a taxi or wait for the airport hotel shuttle because its going to be busy.

The Singaporians themselves are extremly excited about this particular event and extremly proud to be hosting a F1 street race , the first of its kind in Asia!!!!

Thank you so much for the advise. Cant wait to get there. Enjoy the rest of your stay. Cheers Cindy.

We can also vouch for Singapore Airlines - they are actually our favourite airline.

An anecdote:

We flew Singapore on our holiday to RSA a year ago. With our landing at Jan Smuts I realised just how good those Singapore Airline pilots really are. I was waiting and waiting for that "bump-feeling" when the aircraft wheels touches down on the runway, when I suddenly realised that we have been "touched-down" for a while.

The landing was so smooth that I never felt it.

Dax

I went to Singapore for 2 weeks last year and loved every second of it. Can't wait to show the better half China town at night and have him have some good dim sum and kaya toast. Not even mentioning the Pratas and the Ginger tea. If you're going to Sentosa and you're up for something strange, make an appointment at the spa located right next to the aquarium. They have a foot treatment where fishes actually 'exfoliate' (nibble?) your feet. It's an experience I'll never forget. It tickles but after that treatment you're feet is as soft as a baby's. After the treatment you also get the best massage I've ever had from this little asian man. I can highly recommend it. Another thing that most tourists miss is the MacRichie Reservoir. Singapore is one of only two cities in the world with a rain forest right in the middle of the city. You can spend a good morning walking in the cleanest safest rain forest you'll ever find. The reservoir is beautiful and on a Saturday morning its where all the locals goes for a good jog, some Tai chi or just a nice stroll. Make sure you go early as it does get really hot. :holy:

To everyone there now... I must say I'm quite jealous. :)

• 1 month later...

I just booked our tickets to Brisbane and we have an 18 hour lay over in Singapore. we arrive at 06:00am and leave at midnight. Sounds like there are many wonderful things to see and do. Any suggestions for getting a little bit of rest, and places to go to that will not be too expensive.

Hi there is a day-hotel at Singapore's Changi airport which is pretty reasonably well priced and they charge rates per hour (I think minimum 4 or 6 hour charge to start). If you are flying Sigapore Airlines make use of their hop-on hop-off bus which is reasonable priced (about SGD6 per passenger). Check out Singapore Airlines' website for more details and what other privileges you can take advantage off whilst in Singapore.

www.singaporeair.com

Enjoy your stop in Singapore.

I just booked our tickets to Brisbane and we have an 18 hour lay over in Singapore. we arrive at 06:00am and leave at midnight. Sounds like there are many wonderful things to see and do. Any suggestions for getting a little bit of rest, and places to go to that will not be too expensive.

If you are flying on Singapore Airlines they offer a free city tour if you are in transit for 5 hours or longer.

Also there is a transit hotel in the airport, your can book accommodation in blocks of 6 hours, but you must book because the transit hotel is very very busy

http://www.airport-hotel.com.sg/

Hope that helps

Cheers

Enrica

We would love to stopover Singapore, does anyone know whether they allow for 40kg luggage (or lets say more than 20kg luggage) per person if you are migrating?

Thanx

Yo!

Nope , they dont allow 40kgs as a norm. You need to call them and ask them to authorize excess bagage.

The norms is 20kgs of bagage

Nope , they dont allow 40kgs as a norm. You need to call them and ask them to authorize excess bagage.

The norms is 20kgs of bagage

Thanx will do! Do you know what airlines other than IOL and Quantas provide more than 20kg baggage?

None of them. The norm is 20kgs, you can call them and ask if they will authorize more once you have made a booking.

• 2 months later...

Hi

At Singapre airports, what happens with customs and transit? We arrive at 6am and only leave that evening at midnight.

Your bags are normall checked thru to your destination, so you dont have those issues of customs and lugage ect ect

You can do a tour which is offered free by the tourist office, they have a desk in the transit area.

Alternatively book a room in the transit hotel at Singapore Airport for a few hours and get some shut eye.

http://athmg.com/

Here are the details for left lugage at the airport

Thanks!!

Not too expensive either (except we have to times everything by 5 of us) ...