Banana Boy to Derby to Brissy

matt06

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and find it very interesting to see the similarities in other people’s stories to ours. I thought it would be good to give a brief background to our journey as my first entry on this forum and maybe my experiences could help someone......so here goes

I am married with no children, but looking to have kids soon, and have traveled a bit to end up in Brisbane. We are from Durban and I am a structural Engineer and wife is a commercial administrator. In 2005 we decided to leave RSA and head overseas and the natural and most easy choice (UK passport) was to go to the UK. So we moved to Derby in the midlands of England and I must say we actually had a good time there. We met some good friends and life was easy. However after too many English winters and the terrible food and lack of outside life we decided that we wanted to move back to RSA. We were in the opinion that RSA was coming right and that things were looking better, as we had been back on holiday every year. So my wife went back in August 2007 to a good job in Durban , and the intension was that I would join her 2 months later. After 1 month my wife phoned me in England and said that we had made the worst possible decision as thing in RSA were not what we had thought/imagined. So after a lot of back and forth and some hard decisions we decided that the next best place would then be Australia. My wife then returned to the UK in September 2007 and we applied for our 175 visa in November 2007. In December I sent out my CV to test the waters, and to my surprise it was very productive and I got offered a job in Brisbane by the End of January 2008. Our 457 visa got Approved in March 2008 and we then moved to Brisbane in March 2008.

I am currently working in Brisbane and my wife got a job very quick in Brisbane too. We both absolutely love Brisbane and would recommend coming here to any one thinking of moving over.

Last week our 175 visa got approved and we now planning a trip to Fiji to get the visa stamped in our passports (as we applied for the 175 outside of Australia we have to go outside Aus to get it approved....strange but true)

We would love to hear from other people who has migrated across from Durbs who now live in Brisbane.

Matt and Lynda

Hi All,

I have been reading this forum for some time now and find it very interesting to see the similarities in other people’s stories to ours. I thought it would be good to give a brief background to our journey as my first entry on this forum and maybe my experiences could help someone......so here goes

I am married with no children, but looking to have kids soon, and have traveled a bit to end up in Brisbane. We are from Durban and I am a structural Engineer and wife is a commercial administrator. In 2005 we decided to leave RSA and head overseas and the natural and most easy choice (UK passport) was to go to the UK. So we moved to Derby in the midlands of England and I must say we actually had a good time there. We met some good friends and life was easy. However after too many English winters and the terrible food and lack of outside life we decided that we wanted to move back to RSA. We were in the opinion that RSA was coming right and that things were looking better, as we had been back on holiday every year. So my wife went back in August 2007 to a good job in Durban , and the intension was that I would join her 2 months later. After 1 month my wife phoned me in England and said that we had made the worst possible decision as thing in RSA were not what we had thought/imagined. So after a lot of back and forth and some hard decisions we decided that the next best place would then be Australia. My wife then returned to the UK in September 2007 and we applied for our 175 visa in November 2007. In December I sent out my CV to test the waters, and to my surprise it was very productive and I got offered a job in Brisbane by the End of January 2008. Our 457 visa got Approved in March 2008 and we then moved to Brisbane in March 2008.

I am currently working in Brisbane and my wife got a job very quick in Brisbane too. We both absolutely love Brisbane and would recommend coming here to any one thinking of moving over.

Last week our 175 visa got approved and we now planning a trip to Fiji to get the visa stamped in our passports (as we applied for the 175 outside of Australia we have to go outside Aus to get it approved....strange but true)

We would love to hear from other people who has migrated across from Durbs who now live in Brisbane.

Matt and Lynda

Hi Matt and Lynda

We currently live in Kloof and are going to Brisbane on an LSD at the end of this month :thumbdown: Any suggestions on areas, place to see, etc etc would be most welcome. Whereabouts are you staying in Brisbane?

Hi,

We live in Edenbrooke, Sinnamon Park which is on the outskirts of Brisbane, and is a nice new area.

As we have only been here about six months we are still exploring Brisbane areas, however I would suggest you go the following places that are nice:

Queens street, its in the heart of the city and has alot shops and cafes

South bank parklands, is popular and is quite nice (opposite side of river from the city)

Maybe try a ferry trip along the river as you will get to see alot of the city from the ferry. Its quite cheap as well as its part of the public transport system and would cost about $7.40 per person single. (zone 1-4 which would cover most of the river route). Many people take the ferry for this perpose

The lookout on the top of Mt Cootha, as its got a great view of the city. It has a resturant and shop there too

The regatta is a nice pub along the river with a good atmosphere

If you looking at viewing areas to live then there are many to suite different tastes and they are all pretty good. The areas that we found too have nice new modern houses similar to the RSA style (and this is only our opinion) was Sinnamon Park, Forest Lake, North Lakes, Brookwaters to name just a few......these are all within 25 Kms of the city......and transport into the city is quite bad so the closer to the city/or work the better.

If you are looking at getting out of the Brisbane area then both the gold coast and Sunshine cost are lovely with some nice beaches, but they are both a drive away.

Hope some this helps.

Let us know if you want any more info.

Howzit BRU!!!!!

GUESS WHO???

Nice that you have joined the forum

Love us, still in SA. Hope to be there soon