New & Nervous!!

Karen-in-Brisbane

Hi there. I am new to the forum but have already learnt a whole lot from you guys so thanks for the helpful posts! I am over 46y with a kill on the " list" and I have been ofered a job by a company in Brisbane. I have so much paper work to complete including getting my registration with my professional body. Did the IELTS academic this last weekend - oh boy!!!

I have asked for the ENS visa so we get permanent residency. Too nervous to do the temp thing! Hubby is quite a bit older than me but healthy and fit and prepared to do anything to help bring in the loving expenses.

This is so scary!

Hi There and welcome to the forum! The go / no go decision is one of the worse aspects of all of this and you've got past that so well done!! ;)

Can you let us know if your potential employers agree to the ENS visa as I would also love to do PR and not temp.

Tracey

And I love the 'loving expenses' and not 'living expenses' , it puts a whole new spin on things :thumbdown:

They did agree to do the ENS visa..... I must say when I mentioned it to a few prospective emplooyers they were more keen on the 457 temp visa. It is cheaper for them. Problem is it costs you more as you now need to apply for two visas. Plus the temp thing makes me nervous....I mean what if they do not give it to you??? Then you have sold up everything and nowhere to belong! Must be an age thing for me!!! I need security.

Hi roper, welcome to the forum. I am doing the academice IELTS in October. Was it really so bad? :)

You will find lots of advice, friends and guidance on the forum.

When are you planning to go? Where in Oz are you looking at?

Al

Hi Roper,

Come along to out Coffee CLub braai at Krantzkloof on the 24th.

Candice

Allison

Why are you doing the academic test and not the general one? Social Workers do not need the academic one - I did ask the AASW and they replied it is not required.

Bienkie

Welcome to the forum Roper!! Best place to be!!

I identify with the age-thing which (it seems) brings nervousness and a want of security. Not for sissies!!!

You seem to be well away if you have a job offer. May all the rest also work out well for you.

Welcome Roper, from one Durbanite to another !!!

We too are not spring chickens - so can understand your wanting to leave only on PR. We waited ours out, hubbys job offer also waited 1 year for him - we turned down the 457 and they patiently waited !!!

Good luck with your decision - its not an easy one - but you will know what the rite thing to do is.

Thanks. I am hoping it will take less than a year...... My job offer is for 1 March 2009. I am going to apply for the ENS 121 visa. I am just waiting for my professional registration which in turn is waiting for my academic IELTS results.... Thereafter I can do medicals and submit all the papers.

The offer is in Brisbane.

When are you leaving or have you left alreay???

The professional Board for Radiographers requires the academic one...... unfortunately. It was not difficult but the time constraints for reading and writing cause one to rush so much that the end result is questionable. I have heard of so many failing......I am so nervous waiting. Still another 10 days to wait!!!!

Hi - the IELTS is not difficult but the time allowed for the reading and writing in the academic test is limited and so your work is not completed in the standard you would normally submit....... I thought the writing was the worst! To make matters worse I kept watching the clock and paniced - silly me! Mind was blank!!!! Anyhow I will let you know in 10 days how I did. I have a job offer in brisbane. You???

Allison

Why are you doing the academic test and not the general one? Social Workers do not need the academic one - I did ask the AASW and they replied it is not required.

Bienkie

Hi Bienkie, I have done academic work before and i was told that if i wanted to lecture at all i should do the academic IELTS. Perhaps i was ill informed?

How are things going with your move? I have made contact with a great recruitment agent for Social workers in OZ so PM if you want her details. She is in Melbourne.

Take care,

Al

Hi - the IELTS is not difficult but the time allowed for the reading and writing in the academic test is limited and so your work is not completed in the standard you would normally submit....... I thought the writing was the worst! To make matters worse I kept watching the clock and paniced - silly me! Mind was blank!!!! Anyhow I will let you know in 10 days how I did. I have a job offer in brisbane. You???

Hi Roper

My wife knows what you are talking about. She is a nurse and is required to the academic versions, she had an over all pass, but ran out of time and did not complete thre reading and writing section ,so it was a fail for that section,she is re-writing 5 october. So best of luck with your result.

maxi

Oh Dear Maxi.... Makes me even more nervous for my results!!! The 2 weeks is dragging so slowly!!! Wost thing is that it takes so long to get another booking and it eats into the savings badly!!!

What score did your wife get on the Writing and Reading and is she English speaking - first language?

Karen

Hi Karen,

No we havent left yet - hubby leaves 2nd Oct and the kids and I on 24 Nov. We have till 28th Nov to validate the visa. The whole immigration process is very stressful - PCC, meds, IELTS, TRA and .............. We waited 267 days from lodgement to granted. It plays havoc with the mind. Hang in there, one day at a time.

Take care and all the best with those IELTS results.

Hi Karen,

No we havent left yet - hubby leaves 2nd Oct and the kids and I on 24 Nov. We have till 28th Nov to validate the visa. The whole immigration process is very stressful - PCC, meds, IELTS, TRA and .............. We waited 267 days from lodgement to granted. It plays havoc with the mind. Hang in there, one day at a time.

Take care and all the best with those IELTS results.

Wow! That is such a long time!!! Why so long?? What visa did you apply for and did you have reasons for the delay? My job offer will not wait around that long I am sure!!!

Karen

Oh Dear Maxi.... Makes me even more nervous for my results!!! The 2 weeks is dragging so slowly!!! Wost thing is that it takes so long to get another booking and it eats into the savings badly!!!

What score did your wife get on the Writing and Reading and is she English speaking - first language?

Karen

Hi Karen

Got 5.5 She ran out of time to complete that section. But this was not good enough for her to be assessed by the australian nursing and midwifery council. We are englih ,she went to englihs school, english nursing school, and works in an english hospital. So much for the urgent need for nurses

maxi

Hi Maxi

That is just the most awful news....... I am really stressed about the writing result. I finished but would not clasify my essay as very well written as I had no time to plan it - just wrote as things came to my mind. I need to get ave band of 7 with lowest score of 6. Probably similar to your wife. Time is going so slowly! I feel sure I managed the ave of 7..... It is the writing that concerns me most.

Karen

Hi Karen, we applied for a 175 - PR. Permanent residency visas take forever, but at least when you leave SA it is your choice if you come back here. The thought of being booted out of AUS with 2 teens in tow was to much to contemplate.

Our visas were actually "quick" - 9 months. However it felt like eternity ! My hubbys occupation is on MODL and SOL and there were no delays - lodged and approved. No inbetweens like hearing from CO's etc.

Good luck with all your plans - a lot of patience and you'll come rite.