Can anybody help with

Antoinette

We have arived and are in the process of looking for a rental. I brought one dubble bed inflatable matress and bedding with. I need 2 single bed matresses for the children and chairs and a table to sit at. Stuttafords made a mess of things and our container is still in SA and will only arive at the port on 20 October if all goes well and then it must still clear customs. Does anybody have anything that is gathering dust in their garage that we might be able to use until our container arives? When do people pack their stuff on the side-walk? I want to buy as little as possible because everything we need is in the container.

Edited by Antoinette

Hi Antoinette,

I can't offer the things you need, as we have been camping in our house ourselves for more than 2 months! I can offer some advice though, if you absolutely have to buy some things.

We bought an outdoor table and chair set, which we move around to where we need them, from the lounge to the study to outside!

We got a few bargains at garage sales, there are always quite a few around every weekend, check newspapers.

There are a few companies that offer appliances for rent.

Quokka- a newspaper like the junk mail, lots of things for sale and sometimes free stuff.

You will be surprised at how little you actually need and how easy it is to clean your house when there is less stuff to move around!

Hi Antoinette,

Where are you located?

I can surely try to help if you are in Melbourne.

Nats

Oh you are in Adelaide - sorry woudl have loved to help!

You'd better pop round to see what we can do for you guys.

I'll ring around to the troops in Adelaide that I know to see what we can rustle up in the meantime.

Edited by Bob

We have arived and are in the process of looking for a rental. I brought one dubble bed inflatable matress and bedding with. I need 2 single bed matresses for the children and chairs and a table to sit at. Stuttafords made a mess of things and our container is still in SA and will only arive at the port on 20 October if all goes well and then it must still clear customs. Does anybody have anything that is gathering dust in their garage that we might be able to use until our container arives? When do people pack their stuff on the side-walk? I want to buy as little as possible because everything we need is in the container.

Hi Antoinette

Send Andrea a PM as she has put together a "Survival Kit" specifically to assist families like yourselves arriving in Adelaide without any furniture and crockery and cutlery.

You can see Andrea's post below titled "Survival Kit", dated 3 June 2008.

Enjoy!

Manny

Edited by MannyT

Now if you were in Perth we could of helped you, but the Forumites all over Australia are wonderful and all help each other.

Good Luck.

Cheers

Kathy

Thank you everyone for the support and respons.

This is what makes me proud of being part of this forum.

Hope you get settled soon enough Antoinette.

What a great response. This community has a lot to be proud of.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Antoinette,

if you still need some things - we have a single mattress for you. Let me know by PM

Edited by Annette

Well, my question posted on your previous topic answered - you renting unfurnished. Must be kinda fun to be 'camping out' in a house ...!

Would it be an option to rent a furnished house until your container arrives ?

Numbawan, we looked at all the rentals available and none were furnished. The owner of the house that we are now renting put a lawnmower, kettle, toaster, microwave, dishes, cutlery, mop.... ,wine and 2 wine glasses in the house when the agent told her we had nothing. Hoor hier, hierdie Ozzies is fantasties. Ek is so "indebted" dat ek nie weet wat om te doen nie.

Dit is net fun om in jou huis te kamp as jy nog op jou kniee op 'n koue vloer kan sit vir 5 minute en dan weer kan opstaan sonder om te kreun en altwee arms te moet gebruik. Toemaar spot net. Om hier te wees en die mense en die leefstyl te beleef maak alles draaglik. En om weer jou 2-jarige en jouself te kan was in 'n bad in plaas van 'n stort voel soos 'n luxury na 1 week in 'n karavaan park. Gaan sommer nou bad!

I did not make use of any of the above offers thanks to my friends. Many people read this post which tells me 2 things, either they wanted to see who would be so presumptious or they wanted to see if I came right.

Edited by Antoinette