SA Legal Qualification

Ingrid

Can anyone advise me on the following:

I am an admitted attorney (conveyancer, B Soc Science LLB)) and realise that it will be impossible to enter Oz being assessed as an "Oz Legal Practitioner ", without having completed the additional courses etc . I would do the necessary once I arrive.

A Migration agent suggested that I "down-scale" my application to a "policy and planning manager".

Can anyone give me advice on the merits of doing this. I would then apply under the SIR Visa (S Australia), after being assessed on the "lower" qualification.

thank you!

:huh:

Ingrid, :blush:

All I can say to you is that over here people don't care if you are the local politician or driving the garbage truck. They all show up at the same social functions and they all chat together. There is not much of a status in whatever type of job you do. As long as you are willing to accept the "lowering" in stature, I assure you they won't mind.

In the end I suppose it depends on how badly you want to be here. If you are positive about the whole thing, and willing to accept the challenge, you will make a great succes of it. :ilikeit:

If I were you, I think I would do it. It would be a much better choice than living in constant fear.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Ingrid

What you describe is someone advising you to 'downplay' your career classification/title in order to be able to go to Oz as soon as possible (on the SIR visa - which is a regional, provisional (i.e. temporary) visa).

Whether or not that is acceptable to you depends on what your final goal is in terms of Oz. Do you want to live there permanently eventually? What are your circumstances, for instance; are you emigrating on your own or with your spouse/partner?

I'd say that should your ultimate goal be to live and work in Oz and you are emigrating on your own, rather do your legal conversion exams while you're still in SA - it takes about a year. Once you've passed these exams, you are free to apply for PR (permanent residence) on the Skilled 136 visa, which is probably the most secure visa. You're then entitled to all benefits such as Medicare (which you won't be entitled to on the SIR visa). Yes, it may take a bit longer, but when you then do go to Oz, you'll have a PERMANENT visa, which is much better in the long run for obvious reasons.

Should you be emigrating with your spouse/partner, you can go the SIR visa route to get into Oz quicker. For practical reasons, the 'downplay' of your profession's title may be necessary. (Only reason is that you will have to be able to work in the nominated profession you put on your SIR application and 'lawyer'/'attorney' requires the completion of Oz legal exams). Depending on what your spouse does for a living, you can then be the SIR main applicant and your partner/spouse the main applicant for Skilled 136. This enables you both to get into Oz asap (on SIR) on a temporary visa, but once you're there, to apply for Skilled 136 (permanent visa) via your partner. As I've mentioned, this method all depends on what your partner/spouse does for a living - if his career is also on the SOL or MODL.

The SIR visa is great, but keep in mind it is a TEMPORARY visa. It has a number of restrictions, special requirements and limits. After being on it for two years (and having worked full time in regional Australia for at least 12 months of those two years), you will be eligible for a permanent visa - one way is via the RSMS (Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme). Check out www.immi.gov.au for more info about the SIR visa and the possible permanent visas that's possible after it. (Search 'SIR' on website and also see/search for 'Booklet 6', which outlines everything about Skilled Migration.)

My advice to you would be to read as much as you can about the SIR visa and the Skilled Independent 136 visa - compare the pros and cons of each and see what works best for you. Do NOT depend only on your immigration agent's info - do a bit of your own research - you alone can decide what's best for you in the long run!

TWO OPTIONS:

1) The SIR route may be quicker, but it's temporary (at least for the first two years) and you are only allowed to work in REGIONAL Oz. (search 'regional Australia' on www.immi.gov.au as well). Most of the bigger cities are excluded. :ilikeit:

2) Doing your Oz legal exams in SA may take longer (+- one year of study), but it will enable you to opt for the Skilled Independent 136 visa, which is permanent from the start - much more secure and you can work ANYWHERE in Oz. :blush:

Good luck with the process!

Liza

Ingrid, :(

All I can say to you is that over here people don't care if you are the local politician or driving the garbage truck. They all show up at the same social functions and they all chat together. There is not much of a status in whatever type of job you do. As long as you are willing to accept the "lowering" in stature, I assure you they won't mind.

In the end I suppose it depends on how badly you want to be here. If you are positive about the whole thing, and willing to accept the challenge, you will make a great succes of it. :)

If I were you, I think I would do it. It would be a much better choice than living in constant fear.

Greetings,

Dreamy

Dear Ingrid,

My husband is busy with his conversion exams for Australia and if all goes well, he will be admitted as a solicitor early 2007.

Robert from www.sacanada.org contacted me earlier this week to tell me that you are interested in doing your conversion exams for Australia.

First of all you will need to contact Jackie Welsh, who is the South African Representative for University of New England, Deakin University and Charles Stuart University. She assists Chartered Accountants and Attoneys with their conversion exams in South Africa. If I remember correctly, all applications for University of New England must be submitted before the end of November each year, but Jackie would be able to assist you.

Jackie Welch can be contacted on:

Tel: (011) 726-2633

Cell: (082) 412-9903

Email: jmwcomp@global.co.za

South African attorneys are normally required to do the following:

Academic Subjects:

Equity and Trusts

Australian Constitutional Law

Property Law

Practical Legal Training:

Professional Responsibility

Trust and Accounting

My husband needs to do Property Practice and Corporate & Commercial Practice as well, as he only has 4 years post admission experience.

In the meantime, you can visit the Legal Professional Admission Board, New South Wales

If you require further information, please feel free to pm me via the forum.

Please shout if you need any help!

Pippa

Hi Liza :(

Just a quick note: There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with Regional Australia! :):( (And it is surely better than most places in South Africa) Some of the ares that are classed as regional include the most beautiful coastal towns, wine regions and much more. Most of the 'small towns' are not as small as people would think, and most of them have a very good infrastructure.

It would take some time to adapt if you are a born and bred city slicker ;) (like me) but rural life grows on you eventually. So it would depend on every individual, and their attitude, if they would like it here.

Please don't get me wrong, :D but a lot of people have the wrong idea of regional Australia, and there are a great many stories going around about the outback, not all true. I love living here, and the place has only been good for me and my children. It is a wonderful place to be :)

Greetings,

Dreamy

Hi Dreamy :(

I fully agree with you! Nothing wrong AT ALL with regional Australia. We've been on an LSD trip earlier this year and one of the cities we visited was Adelaide, which qualifies as regional Australia - LOVELY place!

On the Net I've also researched a few other towns in regional Oz and my impressions were all good.

Didn't mean to knock regional Oz at all - it's however, exactly like you say - if you're used to a bigger town/city, the initial adjustment in regional Oz might be a bit more difficult. Workwise, it may also be a bit easier to find employment in bigger cities (all depending on what one does for a living, of course).

NO DOUBT though that even the smallest towns in Oz are so well equipped (especially compared with South Africa) and offer a fantastically high quality of life.

I think the WHOLE of Oz rocks! :)