Vodacom 3G card

Olkabolka

Hi

Vodacom RSA network lock all their equipment to only work on the vodacom network. Seeing that Vodacom is part of the Vodafone group, will our 3G card work on the Australia Vodafone network with a 3G Vodafone simcard? We thought of taking our 3G card with, and just buy a new Vodafone 3G simcard in Australia.

Or would we get someone to network unlock our 3G datacard?

The vodafone cards aren't locked you just need to manually set up a dial up connection (ie not use your vodafone connect software). I use mine with MTN/overseas sims from time.

The vodafone cards aren't locked you just need to manually set up a dial up connection (ie not use your vodafone connect software). I use mine with MTN/overseas sims from time.

So does that mean that it will not work on the Vodafone network? We have two of those cards.

Regards,

No it will work on any network. If you want to use the software then you;ll have to stick to vodafone.

• 1 month later...

For anyone that may be looking further

Best arrangment i came up with whilst here(Oz) is using my S.A Vodacom modem(E272) with a Optus TURBO-CAP prepaid plan/sim.

1)Remove Vodacom software off modem - as its the software that locks you to "Vodacom only" choices and if your looking for prepaid choice Vodafone Oz does'nt have em.

2)Install Huawei Mobile connect software on it instead.http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/lis...=-1&id=5286

3)Buy an Optus prepaid sim + load it on a Turbo-Cap plan - $50 recharge gives you 500MB of Data - valid 1 month

4)Settings for Optus - APN is "internet"........ Access no is "*99#"

Once your modem is connecting using the Huawei sofware you can enter in any network settings so you can still use your vodacom modem in S.A till u leave.

MTN modems you don't have to change the software as your not locked into 1 network just change sim and settings and your good to go.

Edited by 2un@

Hi Guys,

If you have an SA USB modem or data card and want to be mobile here as well - don't bother with all of the above at that price. I also have a USB type moden data card contract back in SA and best is to either pack it away (pay it monthly till it is finished) and use it when you go back only. Alternatively get someone alse to take over your contract.

Reason is that over here you go on a 24 month contract with modem and 1Gig data included for only $20 a month (moden is $5 of this amount) with three.com.au . The data amonts go up to 6Gig for $39 a month included.

Other service providers with this $39 deal is OPTUS , Virgin Mobile and Vodafone , BUT as far as I know only three has the deals in between from $20 up.

PM me for more info.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

If you have an SA USB modem or data card and want to be mobile here as well - don't bother with all of the above at that price.

Yep should have mentioned what i posted there with Optus is ok for prepaid/short term/quick fix usage.You are actually getting ph credit with that $50 recharge with 500Mb data along with it.

In the last month Telstra with its NextG service has also woken up and offering a prepaid option altho one will need to buy one of their modems to get coverage on the band they use.Still expensive vrs the 24 month contract option tho.

More info here.

http://www.telstra.com.au/telstraprepaidpl...idwireless.html