Working vs. stay at home

blessings

Hi to all working mommies!

I had this at a different threat but no reply.

So far I've heard that daycare is expensive and that the womans salary goes into paying daycare. My question is: What will be a good salary to make it worth working and put your kiddies in daycare? Hope this is not to difficult question cause know it will most probably differ from area-area.

That'll also depend on how many kids you have. I've got 3 which makes day care REALLY expensive. Then I'm talking about 3 school going kids who'll only spend some time at day care before and after school and not full day. Full day must be a killer. In any case since you're not the primary income holder, I would say $48000pa to make in worthwhile depending on the above. That's real ballpark...

Day care seems to vary between $50-$70 a day ($1100-$1500/m) per child. However the Centrelink refund could be as much as up to 50% depending on family income. That should help you do the maths as to the number of children you have and what you need to earn to make it worth your while.

On the same trend, but perhaps a bit off topic.

My kids are 13 & 11. Would it be OK to let them be at home after school all by themselves? They are quite independent - meaning can make a sandwich and get on with homework. Is it safe to do this? Not against the law to leave them to fend for themselves in the afternoons?

I understand that school's out after 3pm and that would leave them alone for about 2hrs+ in the afternoons.

At the moment I work from home, but am basically a SHM. My research have shown that I'll have to go back to working fulltime and daycare became a concern. But they (the kids) insist that they'll be fine at home after school instead of daycare.

School holidays they'll also be at home by themselves all day. I'm convinced though that they'll be OK and safe. They have the common sense (or savvie as hubby calls it) to be just fine. But is it allowed in Oz?

sorry for highjacking the thread :)

Not against the law to leave them to fend for themselves in the afternoons?

There was a thread somewhere about leaving kids home alone. It seems it is not 'illegal' but you are responsible if anything were to go wrong! They need to be with an adult - 18+ from what I recall.

There was a thread somewhere about leaving kids home alone. It seems it is not 'illegal' but you are responsible if anything were to go wrong! They need to be with an adult - 18+ from what I recall.

Milo,

What about getting a student to oversee the kids for those two hours. Could also ferry them to sport and even help with homework. Then you can come home and relax!

Al

Please remember that your daycare is NOT subsidised if you are on a 457, only if you have PR.

• 2 weeks later...
Please remember that your daycare is NOT subsidised if you are on a 457, only if you have PR.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean by subsidised? If you are PR is daycare less or free???Sorry

Sorry for the stupid question, but what do you mean by subsidised? If you are PR is daycare less or free???Sorry

It is less. We paying $54 a day for ours and depending on your salary you can get anything from 0% - 100% immediately subsidised. Then you also get a second benefit of anything from 0%-50% refunded on the amount you had to pay in.

NickiG made a post on how this all works exactly. I will try find it.