New bee

Sean K

Hi all

New to the forum, So happy to find people and friends that are on the same boat as us.

We are still in the process, have agent, have IELTS(6months waiting), Busy at TRA, Wow getting a bank draft with FNB is not happening.

Question:

Is bed's and stuff realy that expensive, or is the container thing a good idea.

Chat soon

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum. You are the right place for information and advice. spend time searching and reading and you will find a lot of information.

There have lots of discussions on whether to take your belongings with you or not. Some people feel it is worthwhile, such as myself, but this is not always for financial reasons, but also emotional or sentimental reasons. Look around and you will find these threads.

Good luck and beware it is addictive.

Hi Sean

Welcome, be warned this forum is addictive! If you had any doubts / questions, this forum is a wealthy of info. We are taking a container over, have heard from numerous members that it can be costly to replace . I suggest you go and surf the retail websites, gives you an idea how much items cost over there.

Good luck

Blue

Dear Sean K

Welcome to the forum.

If you have good furniture , I beleive it is still worth your while to bring a container.

I do not beleive that you can furnish a home with good quality furniture for $10 000.00 , but get is sttraight from the horses mouth.

This has been discussed before, so do a search and check. Also you can Pm the Beukes Family.

They arrived with no container, they can tell you how much it costs to furnish a house from scratch.

Bur enjoy the forum you will find most of your answers here.

Cheers

Enrica

Hi Sean,

Welcome to the forum. You are the right place for information and advice. spend time searching and reading and you will find a lot of information.

There have lots of discussions on whether to take your belongings with you or not. Some people feel it is worthwhile, such as myself, but this is not always for financial reasons, but also emotional or sentimental reasons. Look around and you will find these threads.

Good luck and beware it is addictive.

Thanks, Addictive it is, I think the dream is just as bad, I drive almost an hour in the morning and night with durbans taxi traffic, nice to dream.

I looked on line and there seem to be alot of options but for R70 000 or so and lots of red tape I am not sure, ya a few things are worth more to your heart but cant we send them with a crate or something.

Thanks now i am hooked.

:ilikeit:

Hello new bee! I am also a newB so welcome. You come to the right place!! Bunch of good, nice people on this forum :ilikeit:

Hi Sean

Welcome!

I did the same as you - went online to a couple of sites to price furniture and househo;d stuff...

I totalled about R35 000, and that was the most basic stuff, bare minimum and even then, I'd forgotten some stuff - like s fridge!

So I reckon to buy everything you'd need - and to get decent stuff, not cheap stuff.. you're not far off with R70 000.

The same amount of household goods wuld cost you roughly R45 000 to take over.

As it is, we only want to take basic big stuff with us - the good stuff, that is... Appliances are cheaper there.

So we're probably going to look at sharing a container when the time comes.

Leigh

Hi Sean

Welcome to the forum. I think it all depends on what you currently have. If your house is fully furnished with good quality furniture it might be worth it.

A few names of shops that you can search for prices on furniture are:

Domayne.com.au;

Freedom.com.au;

harveynorman.com.au;

and binglee for appliances.

Another thing that you need to consider is the fact that your container may take 8 months to arrive in Aus. Like in our case. Then you will either need to rent furniture for about $500-$700 per month or rent a furnished apartment for that time. I must admit that it was great to receive our furniture on Monday, but moer for sentimental reasons.

Good luck for the decission makinf process.

Regards

Marina

We were lucky, it seems... We brought a 20-feet container (price about R65,000), and the container itself really moved fast - took about 6 weeks to arrive (via Crown). We were quite glad we brought furniture over, and are in fact just sorry we did not ship it earlier as we had to look at temporary furniture until ours arrived. It turned out that renting furniture was more expensive than buying it, so now we have 2 x all white goods, way too many beds, extra TV, etc. We're now looking at buying a couch, and it seems a decent one is around $1,000. Strangely, some things are much cheaper here than in SA, and others MUCH more expensive: Aus university fees (even for domestic students) are about 5 x the cost of a SA university, but my son travels via bus from Camden to Wollongong uni (about 60km distance) for $2.90. In hindsight, I'd try to avoid all temporary stuff: no rental cars, no serviced apartments or hotels, no rental furniture, etc.

Hi all

I got mail from the Beukus Family and the advised me that a bed could cost up to $1000 or about R8000 . IF we do the maths thats about the same as a good one here, but R32000 for 4 and a bit of furniture also came in the same $1000 so for $10000 you could be sorted .

Not too bad .

Lady friend advised that it is cheaper to move box by box . Leave a couple amrked 1- 100 with a Family member and pay to courier them accross one at a time it workes out cheaper and easier on a budget. also easier if you are not sure on location yet !

I was advised by crown that they pack for you and do everything you need including holding till you are ready but if you dont take the full container it could wait for 1-6 months, I could not wait that long, I feel that we are moving the best parts of our lives withh us so nothing else matters but to return to a normal way of life quickely would be good.

thanks to all for the help so far :)