Vehicle Clearance the iAfrika way

Biltongboer

Well, just as I thought I’ve come to the end of all the typical African experiences, I just jumped into another one. One of those that make a great story to read – but not so great to live through yourself.

I am busy selling my car, and just realised that I will have to get Police Clearance and a road worthy certificate for the vehicle. Stupid me, I should have known that, right?

Anyway, I drive to the famous Police Offices in the centre of Windhoek. I finally get an open parking space, and walk over to the Vehicle Clearance building.

I see a big white sign that says: “Police Clearance Phase IIâ€. I wonder where Phase I is, but, what the hell. I walk into the building, and there are friendly signs pointing into the general direction of where I need to go.

I see a door. In front of the door, in the hallway, is an old massive Engine. Seems to be the right place, the engine has something to do with cars? Around the engine is a lot of junk and oily, dusty rags. I carefully avoid them and walk into the office. One of those wonderful African government offices. A counter, with burglar bars and a counter top where the officials can walk through. Behind the counter is an “officialâ€, and behind him in the office is a meme with three or four children, one is breastfeeding.

He finally diverts his attention from them to me, and wants to know what I want. I explain, show him my car’s registration papers. He says, “noooooo that is Phase 1. Drive all around the utha side and there is parking space and you goh thea. Then you come back with da paypahs.â€

Okey. I do that. I see the parking space. There is only one slot open, and it’s very cramped. I park there, get out with all my paypahs, and I take in the lovely African scene before me. All the cars have their bonnets open, and people are standing around. I walk around the corner to the “office†– more like a container on bricks.

Meme is talking: wharrawharrawharra – it seems to me that maybe she’s talking to the other meme next to her. I later realise that she is actually talking to me. “You gho outside and the man he look your cah, and then you come heah.†Ohhh.

I ask her what does the man look like. “Ohh, the one wif da black sheet on.â€

No uniform, no nothing. You have to guess who he is. A guy with a black shirt.

I stand around after I’ve found Blackshirt. He is inspecting a vehicle’s engine. He’s got a small torch, and he uses it t see the engine number. He scribbles something on the guys paypahs, and then the guy disappears into the office-container thingy.

Now I also undahstend. My car is at the end of the line, I have to wait and someday he will inspect it as well.

When he gets to the fourth car, he suddenly turns around and disappears. By now, the first spot has opened, and I see my chance. I start my car and I pull into that slot.

Blackshirt comes back, I open my bonnet, and - whalla, he scribbles his signature onto my paypahs.

I go the container office, and meme gives me a form to fill in. I fill it in, while meme disappears and the other meme is talking to someone about a phone number in Nigeria. Finally she asks me “are you finish?â€

I say yes, “I are finish the form.â€

Ehh. She takes the form, scribbles something down on another form, and tells me:†You will be coming back Thursday. Bring Fehty dollas and yo drivas licence.â€

Ehh. Now I also know how this works. Partly. On Thursday at 14h00, I can go to the Phase 2 office where the big engine is, and I bring my scribbled paypahs and present it to them, together with N$30.00 and my drivahs licence. Then I hopefully get my Clearance certificate.

Eish. Wat nog?

Ek weet hoe njy gevoel het!!

Try die police clearance in minder as 5 maande kry :angry:

Ek moes op die ou einde maar die African way try :holy:

Moet self na die Ielts in Windhoek my kar sort>

Toemaar BB

Ek dink ons almal ken jou ervaring. Nie meer lank nie, dan is jy is 'n eerstewereld land. Jy sal nie glo hoe heerlik dit is om in 'n georganiseerde en hulpvaardige samelewing te leef nie. Dit is hemels. Niks meer van Afrika se papah goeta nie!!!

Ons wag vir jou diekant.

Martin

That is not just in Windhoek like that.

Johannesburg licencing dept at langlaagte is a disgrace.

Recently had to get a roadworthy and licence for a car I had finished paying off.

What a Palava... No one in uniforms, No procedure, Nothing...Its scary.

Where will SA be in 10 years!!?? I cry for this beloved country...

Thanks for the laugh - so typical iAfrika way and that goes for every department in this country. Our local police stations are a disgrace too. Broken chars, peeling paint, filthy pens and an overpowering stench of vomit and urine at the entrance doors. Say no more.....

Blue

Thanks for the laugh - so typical iAfrika way and that goes for every department in this country. Our local police stations are a disgrace too. Broken chars, peeling paint, filthy pens and an overpowering stench of vomit and urine at the entrance doors. Say no more.....

Blue

Hau, it es great kantry.

And people still tell me I'll be back in two years' time...ek dink nie so nie mate.

mooi geskryf ! ek sien die prentjie voor my... maar sterkte daar en min dae