Needing Brisbane Moms!

KirstyP

Hi Guys! We are due to arrive in Brisbane early October.... I feel like there is so much to do between now and then :blush:

I am a secondary school English teacher, my application to the Queensland Teaching College is going in Monday 1 September - thats if i can get my police clearance by then :ilikeit: It will take 3 months for them to process the apllication :ilikeit:

I am hoping to get a post from one Jan 2009. The problem is I have a 15 month old son.... any suggestions regarding nursery school? Which ones are good? In which areas? We have been following the high school post re COCC and are thinking Carindale and Mansfield might be the areas for us? My husband will be working in the CBD. How long is the commute for these areas? Traffic?

Am also wondering if you guys have a moms group that meets in the mornings or afternoons for a chat?

Lastly, GYM!!!! is there one in these areas? with a kiddies supervised play area? I am desperate to get back into gym!

PS any recommendations on a good evangelical/charismatic/non-denomonational church in these areas?

Edited by KirstyP

I answered a bit of Kristy's question here www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=17532

I've met a few of COC's teachers and they are lovely people!

Oh, with regards to the traveling....<_<

I would not drive into Brisbane CBD for various reasons. Parking is frightfully expensive, and if your employer supplies this, you still need to get there, the traffic really jams at peek hour. Once the North/South tunnel is finished, this should improve!

With regards to public transport... The busses are numerous, everywhere and on time. They can get into the city quicker because of the buslanes and bus tunnels. Carindale/Mansfield/Carina area is serviced by bus, no problem. The train is also available. What a lot of people do is to drive to a nearby bus/train station, and get the bus/train into the CBD. One can even drive to a nearby CityCat (ferry) and leave the car south of the river, and just pop over into the CBD.

A lot will depend on where exactly in the CBD you work and where exactly you stay. But what one does want to avoid is to have to take 2/3 busses to get to one's destination.

Here is the Brisbane public transport website www.translink.com.au You can enter your start and finish point and it will suggest a possible route. The Carindale Interchange is a big bus stop at the Carindale shopping centre, you can park at the shopping centre (covered parking) and then take the bus into the CBD (Bus200).

Hope this helps a bit! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys! We are due to arrive in Brisbane early October.... I feel like there is so much to do between now and then :ilikeit:

I am a secondary school English teacher, my application to the Queensland Teaching College is going in Monday 1 September - thats if i can get my police clearance by then :ilikeit: It will take 3 months for them to process the apllication :ilikeit:

I am hoping to get a post from one Jan 2009. The problem is I have a 15 month old son.... any suggestions regarding nursery school? Which ones are good? In which areas? We have been following the high school post re COCC and are thinking Carindale and Mansfield might be the areas for us? My husband will be working in the CBD. How long is the commute for these areas? Traffic?

Am also wondering if you guys have a moms group that meets in the mornings or afternoons for a chat?

Lastly, GYM!!!! is there one in these areas? with a kiddies supervised play area? I am desperate to get back into gym!

PS any recommendations on a good evangelical/charismatic/non-denomonational church in these areas?

Hi

We are on the Northside - about 40min from the city by train.

our kids go to Genesis Christian College - quite a few SA teachers there - even the Principal is a Ex-SA. He has been here a long time though.

We also go to the church on the same premises - Bray Park Community Church.

There is a Playgroup on a Tuesday and a MOPS (Mums with pre-schoolers) meeting on a Thursday. lots of kindy's in the area - the school even have one called Little Genesis.

Hi Guys!

Thanks for the advise, right now things are insane.

We are leaving in 2 and half weeks. Our visa should be approved early next week and our stuff is being packed next thursday! Our home has been rented, both the cars have been sold and are being collected on Wednesday.

I dont really feel that I have the time to find the still point of my turning world. But its all good. I am realizing that I cant really think about whats about to happen so I am not in flood of tears about leaving my family.

This week is all about the cleaning, sorting out and buying! Next week the packing and then the week after the flying :ilikeit:

I suppose once that is done I will revisit the site and hunt out all the moms in Brisbane :ilikeit:

Thanks again