Should I take my car from NZ to OZ??

Gavin and Chantell

Hi

I know this topic has possibly come up many times......So bare with me.

Anyone got advice on whether or not it is feasible to take a car across from New Zealand to Australia?

The car I have cost me $17 000.00-it wasn't new.But I know that cars are a little more expensive in Australia than here,so I was just wondering whether it is worth while or not.

9 out of 10 cars in New Zealand would be dearer to buy than in Australia. Mitsubishi, Toyota, Ford, Holdens etc all have plants in Australia, most being made here, so transport costs are a minimum and our GST is only 10% compared to NZ's 12.5%

You can access motor vehicles websites to find out the cost of new vehicles here and also Government websites to see what two to three year old ex gov't vehicles sell for (a guide to second hand car yard prices)

It may be a backward step to pay for shipping across the Tasman, when the same car is actually cheaper here.

The second hand car market (Japanese imports) in NZ is huge (for NZ's size) and is generally MUCH cheaper than in Australia. NZ new second hand cars (made in Aus or Japan) are slightly more expensive than the imports though. It depends on whether one has bought new or second hand that could make the difference.

Having said that, considering the transport costs from NZ to Aus, taxes, etc. AND the effort involved it is probably not worth taking the car with you, although consider what you may be able to sell it for which as you are aware would be much less than what you paid for it over here.

Then again, an Aus friend of mine bought a new Aus made Holden a few months before he was transferred to NZ. When he left for Melbourne again he took the car back with him for tax puposes.

Personally I would sell the car and buy another in Aus regardless of a slight difference in price.

Thank you

What are the most popular web sites to check out regarding second hand vehicles?

One website is the Sth Australian gov't auction. This is for ex-gov't vehicles about two to three yrs old usually, dealers often buying there and sticking their margin on before selling on again, so it does reflect the second hand market to an extent.

www.auctions.sa.gov.au

Look on google for the Carsguide website also.

Edited by Bob

Hi Gavin,

If you bring a car in from NZ there are Australian compliance issues you have to take into account. This could be quite costly. My hubby wanted to bring his Mitsi GTO with, but the cost was just not worth it. I don't know all the details about the compliance and design rules, but you can find out what exactly they are by contacting one of the car dealers in Aus that match the make of the car you have.

Car website here in Aus would be www.carsales.com.au or carsguide.com.au .

SAS

Edited by SASydneysider

Hi Gavin,

We brought our car from NZ to Aus. Rather sell your car, it's not worth it. There are duties and other fees payable in Aus, so you may as well buy a car here.