Hello Everyone!

Dirk and Mandy

Hi Everyone! :ilikeit:

What a wonderful forum you all have going here!

We are a family of four, my husband Dirk is in IT, we have two beautiful little girls, Tyra is 9, Paige is 7, and i am a stay at home mom.

We have applied for a 175 Skilled Independent Visa. We started our whole process in mid-March this year. Dirk had to do an RPL for the ACS which was approved 2 weeks ago, we lodged our Visa application last Monday,and DIAC requested that we do our medicals last Wednesday. We went off and did them yesterday, and so now our wait has begun. Dirk has skills on MODL and SOL, so we are hoping that our application wont take too long! :sleep1:

Once our visas are granted, we are hoping to settle in Adelaide.

It is great to see so many wonderful people on this forum who are over in Australia and yet being so incredibly helpful and supportive to those of us who have yet to go. Reading your "packing" stories had me in stitches, and reading your experiences of your first few days over there had me in tears.

We are looking forward to getting to know you guys and becoming part of this wonderful community!

Dirk and Mandy

:whome:

Hi Dirk & Mandy

Welcome!! :sleep1::whome:

Yes, this is a wonderful place to be. :ilikeit: unfortunately it is VERY addictive :hug: so be warned!! :cry:

Hi Dirk & Mandy,

Welcome to the forum. You are gonna enjoy spending time here while you wait :ilikeit:

Good luck with your application.

Regards,

Lindie

Edited by Lindie

Hi Dirk and Mandy,

Welcome to the source of a wealth of knowledge and help.

You say that DIAC requested that you do your medicals two days after you lodged. Any idea why? I'm just curious because usually they only ask you to do your medicals once a case officer has been assigned (assuming you hadn't frontloaded them with your application) and, judging by all the 175 applications out there, that usually takes between six and nine months.

Thank you Lindie and Pygmalion! :ilikeit:

Pygmalion - When we did our online submission on the Monday, our agents told us that we could expect to be requested to do our medicals within a few weeks. They were also quite surprised when DIAC contacted them two days later and requested that we do our medicals, and they said to us that that meant that a case officer had been appointed already. Dont know how this happened, but to be very honest with you, everything with regard to our emigration process has for some unknown reason happened a lot sooner than the time lines given! Hey, we're not complaining, we are just very grateful! :sleep1:

and they said to us that that meant that a case officer had been appointed already.

That's just awesome! I'll be following your timeline closely, as it gives hope to the rest of us. :ilikeit:

Dear Dirk and Mandy

Welcome to SA Australia.

I hope you visa application goes smoooooooothly.

Cheers

Enrica

Hi Dirk and Mandy

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will spend many hours enjoying the help this forum provides...

You will see that the November 176 and 175 (2007) applicants have started seeing some movement on our Visa's (some even have their Visa's now). We waited 266 days to get our case officer - so consider yourself lucky!

All the best with the process, we will be settling in Adelaide too :ilikeit:

Take care,

red

Edited by Red

Thank you everyone for the wonderful welcome! We feel at home already!

Our process has been incredible! We haven't had a single issue at any point, we have found everyone we have dealt with to be incredibly helpful and would honestly recommend this process to anyone! :ilikeit:

We will put our "time line" together now, and will be interested in seeing how everyone else progresses! Good luck to all of you! :sleep1:

Welcome to the forum Dirk and Mandy

Couldn't resist posting - we also have a daughter named Tyra (11 years old) and are also on our way to Adelaide !

Hope to meet you sometime. Next Pretoria Coffee Club is on 20 September ...

Cheers

Cheryl

Welcome to the forum Dirk and Mandy - your next addiction !!

Whatever info you need is rite here and forumites are only too happy to share. We all keep each other going - otherwise it could be the loony bin for me. We lodged 28th Nov also MODL and job waiting in Canberra - the very next day got request for meds - that was 265 days ago !!!! :ilikeit:

All the best with your plans

Ready2go that is very interesting ... our agents have assured us that we will have our Visas by December. The official DIAC waiting period is 4-6 months, but because ours is a MODL application it will go through quicker. We are aiming to leave late November or early December so that we have an opportunity to have a look at schools etc before the new school year starts in January 2009, as we are not doing a LSD before hand.

Are you using agents or doing this process yourselves?

Cheryl - Congratulations, your daughter has a beautiful name! :ilikeit:

hi dirk and mandy,

so glad you found this wonderful forum! as you can see, we love it and that is why we are on here 24-7!

please ask if you need something! we are all very helpfull. enjoy this ride!

ilani

Ready2go that is very interesting ... our agents have assured us that we will have our Visas by December. The official DIAC waiting period is 4-6 months, but because ours is a MODL application it will go through quicker.

Dirk and Mandy - read the link below - off the DIAC website. There have been so many different processing times after the changes 1st September that I am surprised your agent could give you an informed timeline... You will notice that on the Visa Processing timeline link, they are currently allocating Case officers to people who lodged on the 21st November 2007.

We don't all fully understand their timeline - because one forum member lodged on the 28th November and they received their Visa at the begining of the week - without even knowing they had a CO (i hope that is correct BW).

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-ski....htm#processing

Take care, and sorry if I have caused any concern, but rather be informed of any possibility.

red

Edited by Red

Hi guys, when we lodged (thru agents) we were also advised that because of MODL and job offer our visas would receive priority treatment !!! LOL

The backlogs that Red mentions have unfortunately put a spanner in the works. We were to be outta SA in March 08, well its now Aug and hubbys employers in Aus are really putting the pressure on !!!

But who knows, you guys may just get lucky.

Red - Thanks, had a look at the link. The only thing that i can imagine why our agents insist that our application will be through by December is because Dirk has skills on MODL as well as SOL.

We have friends who are now in Melbourne, their Visas came through exactly one month after they did their medicals - she had skills on MODL ...

Ready2go - This must be a very stressful situation for you guys to be in! Our agents said to us that processing time was 2-3 months but because of backlogs it is now 4-6 months, unless it is a MODL application. What line of work is your hubby in?

Our agents said to us that processing time was 2-3 months but because of backlogs it is now 4-6 months, unless it is a MODL application.

I'm not sure that's accurate, I hate to say. I'm in IT and also submitted an online 175 (MODL) visa application. You'll see from my timeline that I (my agent) lodged at the end of March '08. As Red pointed out, the IMMI website says that for offshore applications the waiting time is 15 months for high-risk countries. The exception is if the visa is a skilled-sponsored (176), regardless of MODL or not, which brings the figure down to 7 months.

My agent indicated to me that Feb '09 is a likely date for me to get my visa, which would make it 11 - 12 months total time. Please don't think that I'm second-guessing your agent, or trying to burst your bubble; I'd just hate it for you to bank on an almost unheard of timeframe, only to be bitterly disappointed.

Pygmalion - Please don't apologise! We have been in touch with our agents, and they will double check it for us, but she was very surprised when we raised the extended time with her. I must also honestly say that of all the other people we have spoken to who are also emigrating, none of them have been advised about the kind of time lines that you guys are talking about ...

Does your police clearance have to be valid at the time of lodging, entry or both?

D&M, usually what happens in the situation where you haven't frontloaded your medicals and PCC (i.e. included them in your application) is that your case officer would request them when they are ready to process your application. So, to answer your question: your visa cannot be granted unless the case officer has all the required documentation; the PCC being part thereof.

Typically the temporary visas (such as the 457) are much, much quicker in terms of processing time. However, the permanent visas take at least twice - if not three times - as long and I'd be willing to bet that there isn't a single person on this forum who has lodged a 175 or 176 PR visa this year, to have had their PR visa granted yet. So, if your application is a run-of-the-mill, vanilla-flavoured, skilled-independent visa (MODL or not), then I would imagine you're going to wait at least 9 months for it to be granted.

Pygmalion - luckily our visa application is complete. I will let you know when our agent gets back to us regarding time lines! :unsure:

Pygmalion - luckily our visa application is complete. I will let you know when our agent gets back to us regarding time lines! :unsure:

D&M, would you be willing to PM me and tell me who your agent is?