Applying for PR

new

Hi,

Anyone who came on 457 visa and then had to apply for pr...Can you give me some advice on pr. My husband 's company will apply for pr for us anytime soon after his IELTS test. Do I have to write the test to?

And how long will it take to be approved?

Hi,

The primary member needs to write, but if you can show that you did high school in english, you will not have to write the exam.

I get the idea it also depends on the mood of the case officer on the day. My colleague managed to convince the case officer that her husband did not require IELTS (he attended Afrikaans school with English as a matric subject), whereas we did not manage to convince the case officer of that. She (happened to be the same case officer) insisted that both I (primary PR applicant) as well as my wife and son (secondary applicants) do IELTS tests. We did that, and she issued PR's within 2 weeks after that.

And then afterwards we discovered that Teaching Australia insist on an academic IELTS test too - so my wife has to do IELTS again (this time the academic as opposed to general version).

It seems they are now trying to enforcing it for all, even English speaking from what I have seen.

Thanks for the info people it is very interesting to how things work.

I have only one problem....i am a 'boertjie' and my english is not so good. I am very scared if I have to do the IELTS that I won't make it.

Thanks for the info people it is very interesting to how things work.

I have only one problem....i am a 'boertjie' and my english is not so good. I am very scared if I have to do the IELTS that I won't make it.

Hi

You will pass, don't worry! Practise a bit and you will be fine. Also if your company sponsors you you don't need it for points, so you don't have to do as well. If you need the academic for registration you'll have to do well however.

D

Jip ongelukkig moet almal bo 18 die toets skryf wat aansoek doen vir PR .

Sterkte.

Jip ongelukkig moet almal bo 18 die toets skryf wat aansoek doen vir PR .

Sterkte.

Urs,

The IMMI website doesn't say this; it still says that a secondary applicant only has to prove Functional English and a secondary school letter is mentioned as one of the methods of proof.

I do agree that they are getting stricter with the English Language requirements (see the proposals on the IMMI website i.r.o. the 457 visa), but I would think that they would be more strict on secondary applicants who are intending to claim 5 points based on their skill.

Dis reg ek weet dit ook maar as jy nie proofs het dat jy die laaste 5jaar van jou Hoerskool loopbaan oor die 80%

het nie moet jy ongelukkig die toets doen of die alternatiewe toets skryf.

Edited by URS

Dis reg ek weet dit ook maar as jy nie proofs het dat jy die laaste 5jaar van jou Hoerskool loopbaan oor die 80%

het nie moet jy ongelukkig die toets doen of die alternatiewe toets skryf.

Waar staan dit, Urs? Ek het verskriklik baie op die IMMI website gesoek en ek moet eerlik wees as ek sê dat dit die eerste keer is wat ek dit gehoor het. Ek dink DIAC weet hoe dat so veel mense afhanklik op die website is en ek glo nie dat hulle sal toelaat dat die informasie wat daar staan, verkeerd sal wees.

Ek kan dalk verkeerd wees, maar dis regtig vir my snaaks as dit so is.

Have to agree with Pygmalion, that is exactly what we did for my wife, got a letter from her high school, stating that she completed her schooling in functional english etc.

Waar staan dit, Urs? Ek het verskriklik baie op die IMMI website gesoek en ek moet eerlik wees as ek sê dat dit die eerste keer is wat ek dit gehoor het. Ek dink DIAC weet hoe dat so veel mense afhanklik op die website is en ek glo nie dat hulle sal toelaat dat die informasie wat daar staan, verkeerd sal wees.

Ek kan dalk verkeerd wees, maar dis regtig vir my snaaks as dit so is.

My man het in-gebel en met die verteenwoordiger gepraat. Hy het gese daar is two opsies, skryf of as jy kan bewys toon dat jy die laaste 5 jaar van jou skool lobaan, gemidded 80% gekry het. Dit gese, het ek vandag ook verneem dat jy as afhanklike op die 457 net n motifeering moet skryf hoekom jy nie voel dit is nodig om die eksamen te skryf nie.

From what i have heard if you can communciate standardly in English then you will be fine. There is also lots of info on the forum on the test so search for it and put your mind to rest.