Defense related jobs

ria

Hi,

My husband is on the SOL and gets 60 points as Licenced Aircraft maintenance Engineer Avionics(LAME). He did a radio/radar trade, followed by N6 National Engineering Diploma Electronics and his Category X avionics licence through Civil Aviation. He currently works on a cockpit upgrading project and does logistic management. He is in the SAAF and is awaiting news on the exit package that he applied for. Long story short: he registered on SEEK and Carreer One for job alerts but all Def related jobs require security clearanse only given to PR people or Citizens. We'll be on a 457 and I'll be working as a GP. The recruiter said once there Ivan could apply for PR and probably have it within 6 months. I'm concerned that they make it sound easy just to get me there and once we're there we're stuck without job prospects for Ivan. Has anyone been in a similar situation or had to deal with security clearance? Why if he is well qualified and on the SOL do they make it so difficult? We are going to Adelaide, if he doesnt get a Def related/Aircraft related job what are the job possibilities for him or should I be prepared to be sole breadwinner from now on. Obviously it would be very bad for his morale to be a house man for an undetermined period of time. Please advise,

Ria

Hallo Ria

Why not try to get a job in aviation with Qantas, or at the Airport in Adelaide?

Unfortunately, only Permanent Residents or Citizens can apply for any Defence or Navy jobs etc. The security clearance is neccessary, especially when you want to join Defence/Airforce/Navy. If you are a Permanent Resident applying for a Defence or Navy job, they will help you to obtain Citizenship within 4 months. It is not a case of making it difficult for foreigners to apply, but a case of commitment. And being committed, he has to earn that respect and proof that he accept all rules and regulations set to be a true Australian Citizen and he might even have to give up his South African Citizenship.

As you said, you will have be prepared to be the breadinner for a few months, as he might not get the job that he is qualified for. Best thing to do now, is to get his qualifications reviewed - and get recognition for that. He might be able to get a similar position, maybe only when you get your PR. As your recruiter said, once you get here you can apply for PR. All these rules and regulations are neccesary to make sure that the person applying is really committed. When applying for the Defence/Airforce/Navy, he has to go through a series of tests. He has to go for a JOEY'S day - this is like an IQ test (similar to the one on the internet) and a Psycology test. Then comes the fitness test and medical clearance. You could concider yourselves really lucky if he gets a job in the Defence/Airforce/Navy. I am a RN and went through all this and did'nt make it - too unfit and I was'nt really committed...

I know that all this might be difficult for him to accept, but on a 457 visa he might not be able to get the job in his trade. He has to be prepared to do anything. When we arrived, I was the breadwinner for about 8 months before Marius got a job - and he had to downscale from electrical engineering to a technician. He is currently in the process of making a total career change -studying full-time as an accountant. But moving to Australia is really worth it, even if you have to be the breadwinner for some time. When you move to Aus, you will have to try and leave the morale, qualifications, high expectations behind and be prepared to start all over. We are very lucky to be in the Health Profession where "we can just walk in and do the job".

It isn't easy to start over again. I'm still the breadwinner, but the most important 3 factors in my life that keeps me going is: prioritise, patience and commitment. With that, there is only love, peace and harmony in me and hubby's life. When Marius gets his Degree, I will go on my well-deserved holiday for a year (he does'nt know that yet)!

Regards

Madelein

Hi,

Thanks for the info, however Ivan doesnt want to join the military, but the work is uaually defense related eg BAE systems, Tenix, SAAB etc.

How old are you guys? Ivan is 40-not easy to go back to college for a complete career change. What does it cost to study? How are you managing on 1 salary?

Hi Ria

Well, fortunately I had a job offer I couldn't refuse... Basically, I am earning in one year what 2 people normally would earn in Oz. Sad thing though, if I don't work, we don't get paid. On Contract and they have lengthened it with another year. Luckily, with any Healthcare work you won't be without a job. I must confess: am a big 40 and I'm a cradlesnatcher - Marius is 33 - he he he... Still young enough to make the career change and look after me when I go on pension and be very, very grumpy. I will spite everyone and live 'till I'm 120! My life only started since we've moved to Australia.

When you're on a 457 visa, you will have to pay the "international student" fee, which is more expensive than on PR. I found that being a student here, you get spoonfed and it is'nt as hard as you think.

We came over on a 457, only applied for PR in Nov 2004 with a lot of hick-ups with our Case Officer. She went by the book and we had to go through a lot of trouble. She made me do an Accademic IELTS test, had to get Police Clearance for SA all over again as it expired whilst processing our visa. I am glad we have applied for PR while in Oz though, it doesn't cost that much when your'e earning the dollars.

As for your Hubby, I would suggest him to get mutual recognition. It will make it easier when he applies for a job. I really don't know what BAE systems, Tenix and SAAB means, but Marius will find out where he can obtain mutual recocnition and we will keep you posted. All Defence related jobs will also fall in the same catagory as I mentioned in my previous post, unfotunately.

I also saw you mentioning the split appl for PR. There are so many catagories of PR options and maybe the company that you are going to work for, can sponsor you and your family for PR. You can look on the IMMI site - it is in Booklet 5. A split application is too expensive, but it could be done. This won't effect you as long as you are in a 457, with a contract. But if Hubby applies for PR with you included, you will have to go through the whole process again. Just remember that PR application can take up to 12 months onshore, while being a Health Care worker it could take 1 - 6 months -depending where your'e going to stay.

Lot of rules and regulations, but it is worth it.

Regards

Madelein

Guest Sunshine Sister

Hey there,

I just discovered this thread and wanted to jump in with a quick kudos and a gold star for Maddy. Hey Mads, my girl, wow, what an excellent job you have done with info here. I hope you are gonna come visit us in your ex-pozzie up in the hills :unsure: during that well-deserved holiday of yours !! Since you are in infocentral mode, I hope you don't mind me also asking a question. (I might be misunderstanding this, so please work with me). :blush:

From Ria's question I got the impression that her husband will be coming over on her visa, she will be on a 457 and her husband will be an accompanying spouse. Then she talks about him applying for PR ? :lol: I didn't think he could do that. As far as I know the only way he can get PR is if she applies for PR and includes him in her application. (?) I am also slightly concerned as most ppl I know in Australia on 457's have waited a year for PR when they didn't have companies backing their application, I am not sure whether 6 months is realistic.. Mads, darling, please help !! Am I being blonde, or maybe misunderstanding Ria's Q's ??

Good luck Ria, hope things work out for you.

Love

SS

:)

Hi Ria,

I have been working for BAE Systems for nearly 3 years now. We are a few South Africans across the Australian part of the company. There are several opportunities here and there are ways around the security clearance issue. Contact me and we can discuss if you want. I will try and help you as best I can. I'm not in recruiting etc, but I may be able to help or advise and refer your husband to other opportunities if not with us. (I have sound contacts in the South Australian Government - Defence and Aerospace division).

Send me your email address or other contact method that you would prefer.

Regards,

Shadow :unsure:

SS, I think I might be the blonde one... Jis en ek is swak om die Afrikaans na Ingels te convert en dan druk ek myself soms soooo verkeerd uit.

Wat ek eintlik gemeen het:

Ria is 'n GP wat gesponsor word op 457 saam met haar familie. Die beste is maar dat sy moet aansoek doen vir PR (vir die hele familie). Maar soos ek uit Ria se skrywe verstaan het, is dat hulle so gou as moontlik wil he dat Manlief moet PR kry om in te kom vir die "defence related" joppie. Dit kan gedoen word, maar dis 'n schlep... As Manlief vir hulle vir die hele familie aansoek doen, moet sy van vooraf by die Mediese Raad gaan aansoek doen vir 'n praktyknommer - hulle is so vol draadwerk daar! Dit vat tyd en sy sal huisvrou moet speel vir 'n paar maande. As Manlief haar uitlaat uit die PR aansoek, sit sy in Oz met 'n 457 visa en kan nog praktiseer op haar huidige praktyknommer - totdat haar visum verstryk. Dan sal sy as individu moet aansoek doen vir PR en dit jaag nog 'n ekstra klom geld uit die sak.

Gestel Ria word op 457 gesponsor deur 'n Maatskappy soos Symbion of Healthscope, kan sy deur hulle gesponsor word vir PR - dit vat +- 1 tot 6 maande. Glo dit of nie, 'n kollega van my het hare binne 'n maand gekry (Skilled Matching visa 134)! Ek was so jaloers omdat ek toe alreeds 6 maande gewag het en net nog meer dokumentasie na die DIMIA moes instuur. Dit hang ook af wie jou Case Officer is. Dit word als in Booklet 5 van die DIMIA omskryf . Meeste dokters en verpleegsters volg hierdie roete en as ek daardie tyd geweet het ek kon dit ook so doen, het ek. Die grootste slagyster hier is ongelukkig, dat jy 2 jaar moet terugwerk vir die Maatskappy. Omdat Australie so skree vir dokters en verpleegsters, kry ons hierdie voordeel. Dit sal ook seker mettertyd verander, want die DIMIA verander mos sommer dinge so oornag.

Dan is daar ook die Skilled Independant Visa (136). Dit het ons 8 maande gevat om ons s'n te kry, maar omdat ons "Healthcare Workers" is en baie "in demand" is, kry ons voorkeur. Gewoonlik vat so 'n visum ongeveer 'n jaar "onshore." Ek is nou bly ons het die roete gevolg, anders kon ons nie die skuif Canberra toe oorweeg het nie.

Nog opsies vir dokters vir Permanent Residency:

Employer nominated scheme (subclass 856)

Regional Sponsored scheme (subclass 857)

Kan gekyk word op die volgende link: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/medical-pra...anent-visas.htm

PR visums vir Nurses

(skilled Matching visa 134) - dis net vir Nurses

Link: http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/medical-pra...ions-nurses.htm

Shadow, baie baie dankie. Sal wonderlik wees as jy Ria se man kan help.

SS, ek hoop om so teen volgende jaar Maart se kant daar 'n draaitjie te kom maak, dan kan ons oor 'n koppie koffie en van daardie heerlike koek by Castle Towers, 'n geselsie maak. Ek is deesdae heeltemal te relaxed met hierdie heerlike layed-back atmosfeer in Canberra.

Groetnis vir eers

Madelein