ADELAIDE HELP PLEASE

2hattingh's

HELLO :ilikeit:

we are arriving in adelaide in september, and will need a place to rent from october 2008, it can be small like 1 bed room and previrably furnished, cause we have nothing .me and my hubby are moving to adelaide with just our luggage :ilikeit: , dont have any thing els or if any one can help with old furniture or stuff they dont need any more. we will arrive in adelaide on 1 september lucky us the people my hubby will work for have aranged accomodation for the first month but on 1 october we are on our own :ilikeit: , any advice?

any one that can help please email my hubby:

hattingh_pilot(at)yahoo.com

aeh now the darn (at) key dont whant to work

thanks

melissa

Hi Melissa

Which company is your husband going to be flying for? We also leaving in September but we off to Sydney. My husband is also a pilot and he's going to be flying for REX.

Guest Bronwyn

Hi Melissa and welcome to Adelaide in a few weeks time.

Just send us a PM when you get here and we will help you with stuff. Andrea on the forum has put together an 'emergency kit' of supplies for new people. She is not so active on the forum at the moment because she is busy with work, but I know all the stuff is available. I have lent a TV & microwave to someone else but maybe they will be finished with it by October (I think so). We also have blow up matresses etc.

I think you will be able to find suitable accomodation during your first month, don't worry too much about it. The houses and flats are rented out weekly here, so there is always something, especially if it's just something small you want. In the meantime you can look on Realestate.com.au under rentals and see what is around. To be honest, I wouldn't rent furnished as I think you will pay a lot more. You don't need that much stuff to start off, you can get it together here. Depends if you have budgetted for some new furniture or not.

When you get here pay a visit to IKEA and take a look how they have furnished their living areas (small spaces but stunning ideas)

All the best & enjoy it, Bronwyn :wacko:

Edited by Mara
Corrected web address for realestate

Hi there to the 2hattingh's. Welcome to the forum. Don't worry too much about once you arrive on this side. We are now about 15 South African families working at FTA, and I'm sure between us and the rest of the Adelaide forumites there will be plenty of help. The last two guys that arrived from SA both had accommodation within 2 - 4 weeks of arriving. You'll probably find that FTA will be a little flexible with those dates as well if you really struggle to find accommodation.

DO not hesitate to contact me via PM if you have any further queries. Looking forward to meeting when you arrive in September.

We'll talk more once you are here, and I'm sure you'll find plenty of the other ladies willing to show you around.

Also try www.domain.com.au for rental properties.

EDIT: By the time you arrive, one of the other guys container will be here, you're more than welcome to use the extra pots, pans and other crockery they borrowed from us until you find your feet.

Edited by Navigator

thanks navigator!

that will be gr8 and thats gr8 news!!!putting my mind more at ease!!!!

you guys and gals here are really very help full!!

hope too meet you all soon!!! at this stage its more nerves of the unknown but also alot of excitement for the country and meeting every one and mixed sad feelings of leaving all behinde in sa.

but all the worth wile for our futur.

this will be our "honeymoon'...we got married in march that we can have all in order to apply for the visas this was informal and done by andres steph dad as he is a 'dominee", i was still living in potch and working there, had a haccp audit so we could not go on honeymoon, then moved to andre in end april, june we got married again... sounds funny but it was just the "kerk" and party for family and friends then we had a short 1 week brake in tughela after the floods... now we can finaly start our future and live properly!!!we joked alot about moving to adelaide as our 'honeymoon"

thanks again for all the help

melissa

thanks for all the help!!!

it gives us hope to know there are nice people there waiting and to know that you all are just a PM away.

It will be SOME honeymoon!

Kicking Life off in a new country will be exciting, to say the least.

It looks like you've landed on your feet coming to Adelaide. . . . . so many helping hands.

It's cold and wet this winter, but should start to clear up soon for some warmer spring weather to welcome our honeymooners.

Hi Melissa

Looking forward to welcoming you in Adelaide. Just give us a shout if you need anything. If you need transport from the airport to the FTA campus, just let me know!!

Renier

HELLO :lol:

we are arriving in adelaide in september, and will need a place to rent from october 2008, it can be small like 1 bed room and previrably furnished, cause we have nothing .me and my hubby are moving to adelaide with just our luggage :lol: , dont have any thing els or if any one can help with old furniture or stuff they dont need any more. we will arrive in adelaide on 1 september lucky us the people my hubby will work for have aranged accomodation for the first month but on 1 october we are on our own :ilikeit: , any advice?

thanks

melissa

Hi Melissa,

I also arrived in Adelaide with only a suitcase in hand. My biggest worry was also how to go about renting without having any furniture, pots, pans etc! I have since come to realise that Adelaide is the city with the most second hand cars, and second hand everything you can imagine!

It is handy to know that there are so many second hand shops around Adelaide where you can buy anything from clothing to furniture for next to nothing, all in good condition. Then there are many ads in the shopping centres and bigger food stores like Woolworths where there are free give-aways, and then people also place old furniture on the pavement in front of their house when they do not need it any more. I have a very good bed and a dining suite that I cannot give away as no one needs it - I have placed ads many times. So at least to start off you could easily get by in Adelaide with next to nothing.

As for rented accomodation - depending on what you are looking at - there are many backpackers in Adelaide - look on the intrnet - it

costs about $22 per night, very clean with kitchen and bathrooms to share, then you could rent one room in a house for $100 per week, and use the landlord's bathroom and kitchen. The next step would be to look at 'units' - many in Adelaide. It is a small house/flat in a group of 3 to 6, mostly joined together and the rent would be anything from $100 + per week depending on the area and how big it is. There are also many houses for rent - again depending on how big and where you would like to live.

Remember that you will have to pay a bond - usually 2 to 4 week's rent in advance - which will be paid back when you leave. The rental market is very controlled in South Australia, and all real estate agencies have a property management devision and they manage rental accomodation. Look on the internet - real estate agents - and every agency will have their own website as well as advertising on the other websites already mentioned.

I only recently met other south africans in Adelaide, and discovered this site and there will def be a lot of help around!

Best of luck with the move!

Sky

• 3 weeks later...
HELLO :(

we are arriving in adelaide in september, and will need a place to rent from october 2008, it can be small like 1 bed room and previrably furnished, cause we have nothing .me and my hubby are moving to adelaide with just our luggage :D , dont have any thing els or if any one can help with old furniture or stuff they dont need any more. we will arrive in adelaide on 1 september lucky us the people my hubby will work for have aranged accomodation for the first month but on 1 october we are on our own :blink: , any advice?

thanks

melissa

Hi Melissa

You will be here shortly. It will all be fine. You have been given alot of great suggestions I see but another one if you are looking for furniture would be to hire from Radio Rentals. They are all over Adelaide.

You are welcome to PM me if you need any assistance. Unfortunately I am unable to lend you any furniture as we only got here 6months ago and didn't bring much with us, so we are slowly building up too. But we have a spare room if you find yourself in a sticky jam. We live in the NOrth East.

Best wishes

JulieK

Hi Melissa

You will be here shortly. It will all be fine. You have been given alot of great suggestions I see but another one if you are looking for furniture would be to hire from Radio Rentals. They are all over Adelaide.

You are welcome to PM me if you need any assistance. Unfortunately I am unable to lend you any furniture as we only got here 6months ago and didn't bring much with us, so we are slowly building up too. But we have a spare room if you find yourself in a sticky jam. We live in the NOrth East.

Best wishes

JulieK

Hi Julie

You are so sweet to offer Melissa accommodation. :jester::ilikeit::ilikeit:

Speak to you soon.

Enjoy!

Manny