ghostrider

Hi all

could anyone perhaps clarify the points awarded for afrikaans as a community language? what proof or validation is required, would a matric certificate do the trick?

Hi ghostrider, welcome to the forum.

You need a qualification equivalent to an Australian degree to be able to claim points for a community language. Here's what it says on the DIMA website.

To be eligible for these bonus points you must be fluent in one of the community languages listed below.

'Fluent' means you have professional level language skills (written or oral) as evidenced by a qualification (of equivalent standard to an Australian degree) gained from a university where instruction was in one of the listed languages or be accredited with the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) at the professional level (translator/interpreter level).

If you are seeking bonus points for fluency in one of Australia's community languages, you must attach certified copies of your degree, academic transcript and a letter from your university stating the language in which your course was conducted, or evidence of your National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters accreditation.

Read more here.

Hi ghostrider,

Please read the following link 5 Bonus Points For Afrikaans. Hope this will answer your question. To be honest, I am not 100 % sure, but I requested a letter from the university to state that my tutuition (sp?) was in Afrikaans.

Nou hoe werk dit dan? Jy is Afrikaans gebore, maar ten volle tweetalig. Hulle vat nie jou woord daarvoor nie - jy moet Engelse toetse skryf, selfs al het jy vir hoe lank in Aus in die besigheidswêreld oorleef...... Nou dink jy: dan vat ek maar my 5 puntjies vir Afrikaans en sit dit by my punte.... nou moet jy 'n GRAAD hê om te bewys jy kan Afrikaans praat?! Dubbele standaarde as jy MY vra!! :) Lyk my dit is vinniger om op 'n bootjie te klim uit die Noorde en aan te dring op vlugtelingstatus - so met vingertaal probeer verduidelik, jy weet.... :D Dan hoef jy nie eers huur of skoolgeld te betaal nie - kry sommer dadelik 'n lekker inkomstetjie van die staat terwyl jy op die strand lê en bak...... :)

Hi Riekie

It's worse if you're English speaking - they don't believe that because you are born, bred and educated TO TERTIARY LEVEL you are eligible to claim points for English! Oh no, first you have to pay big bucks and write a test to prove you are able to speak your own language! I'm all for becoming a refugee!

Cheers

C

Ek stem saam, dit is belaglik! Ek dink om te bewys dat jy Afrikaans as eerste taal (of selfs tweede taal) gehad het op skool behoort genoeg te wees dat jy die taal kan praat ...

Oh my Goodness....we didnt have any hassle about tests or anything, are they alot stricter now? we came over on a RSMS and we have PR on that visa...we didnt have to do any IELTS tests or any points tests...I think we were VERY fortunate....

As far as I know the IELTS test is compulsary now for Saffers. We missed it out too ASP, I was quite surprised too considering my hubby is Italian - he had resigned himself to having to do the test and was pleasantly surprised when they never asked for it. :rolleyes:

Hehehe..I know what you mean Jules...hubby is a real Boertjie and his Enlish can sound very delicious sometimes...hie hie..So I was very happy when we didnt have to do it...not to mention the money we saved....