Advise on Hornsby, NSW

BrianJ

Hello,

It seems as if I can secure employment in Hornsby, North Sydney, NSW.

I would appreciate any comments about the area in respect of Housing, Schools, Facilities etc.

Thank you,

Brian

Hi there,

Hornsby is part of the Hills Region. Here's quite a lot of info on the Hills in General: http://www.saaustralia.org/index.php?showtopic=393&st=0

Hornsby is an "older" part of the Hills and has a large train station, so for transport, that is good. There's also a large Westfield Shopping Centre. We know a family living in Hornsby and they're very happy living there. There's good schools - both public & private and life is relaxed and care-free. Hope this helps.... :)

Hi Riekie,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The information has been extremely helpful, and we look forward to being there.

Some more questions....

I have seen various references to the use of trains. Is this a popular mode of

transport, or is it specifically used to travel to Sydney central?

What percentage deposit is required in order to qualify for a mortgage, for

a newly landed immigrant. (In Canada, we had to have a 25% downpayment)

Is there a differance in the quality of food obtainable in Australia to what

one purchases in S.A.

(except of course the normal exclusions such as Ouma Rusks, Biltong, Mrs Balls etc)

Thanks,

Brian

Hi there

If you work in Hornsby you could settle in any of the surrounding areas, Wahroonga, Turrumurra, the hills etc. There are brilliant private schools around and public schools and trains are most commanly used.

I have found the quality of found here great and more of a variety. How old are your children?

best of luck

Hi there,

Trains are generally the preferred mode of transport from the suburbs to the city - you can tell that by the packed trains leaving the city to the suburbs at 5 in the afternoon! When we go to the city as a family on weekends, we take the car, but any other time, we'll take the train. So to answer your question, yes, trains are very popular for transport. I'd even go as far as saying that you won't need a car if you live walking distance (or on a bus route) from a train station - apart form the inconvenience that your life is decided by train timetables and buying groceries or anything big is a bit of a problem......

The quality of the food is very good but I found the fruit & veg form the supermarkets of a lower quality as far as freshness & size goes. I buy mine form the fresh food markets - it's generally bigger, crispier and lasts longer. Unfortunately NOTHING comes CLOSE to the Woollies (RSA Version) pre-packed nicely presented washed & ready to use fruit & Veg (and heaps of other nice, yummy goodies......) The variety here is also much bigger than in RSA.

Sorry, can't answer you on the deposit....... (I can always find out for you, but I know there's lots of ppl here who would be able to give you an answer from experience).

Hope this helps..... :blink: