Rail vacation

Ungerers (Tanja U)

Hi,

My parents will be visiting us in February next year and my dad wants to get of the plane in Perth and then take a train to Melbourne.

Has anyone done it and does anyone have suggestions etc.

I have found a website but I just need to find out if the experience is worth it.

Thanks

Tanja

Hi Tanja,

I have not done the trip on the train, but have done an inspection of the Indian pacific.

I know that the Indian pacific is advertised as a luxury train journey, but please dont confuse the Indian Pacific with a Blue train trip.

If you parents are going to travel on the "cheap" seats(Red Class), they must be aware that these are like aircraft seats, and that the shower and toilet facilities are all shared facilities.

They must be made aware that this is a 3 night/4 day journey.

If they are doing the train trip to "see " the country, they will be travlling across the Nullabor- and basically it means - no trees , so basically mostly dessert.

Good luck.

Cheers

Enrica

Edited by Enrica

Hi Tanja

I've done almost every long distance train trip in Australia (Canada, USA, South Africa, Europe :)) - except for the new Alice Springs to Darwin line - but then I enjoy trains and traveling by train. Its not for everyone. Some people get bored, but I see it as enforced relaxation. Time to catch up on books.

As for the trip to Perth, Enrica has already given you the highlights. As far as I remember, the train only stops in Adelaide and Kalgoorlie for any length of time. (Broken Hill if you come from Sydney). Plus a tiny village somewhere on the Nullabor. The Indian Pacific is a privatized train, we had a little compartment, but it was tiny. Haven't tried Gold Service, but have tried economy class. The comfort beats Greyhound any day, but it is not exactly a captivating landscape. The Ghan is pretty much they same design, and I think the Overlander as well.

I would do it again, but if you are looking for luxury travel with more scenery, I would recommend Brisbane to Cairns.

Cheers

Christo

Edited by Coconut Ball

• 2 months later...

Hi Tanja,

We made our trip into Aus with the kids a bit of a pilgrimage by taking the Indian Pacific from Perth to Sydney. You've been given the right picture so far. The Indian Pacific is just short of a rattle trap and the rail is in a shocking condition as it shares the line with freight trains. And the trip is probably way overpriced.

Having said that we enjoyed every bit of the trip. Tania (mine) wrote a diary of the trip and it may well be the reading you need to put the experience into perspective. I'll get your details at the braai this Sunday to send you the diary.

We travelled in Gold Kangaroo and had two cabins (one for kids and one for us). The food was simply stunning and the scenery was what we wanted to see.

We may not do this trip again but we have no regrets having done it.

The trip from Perth to Adelaide takes 3 days and then you can either fly to Melbourne or take the overland. In all it would take 4 days although it would be a shame not to spend some time in Adelaide.

See you Sunday

Francois

Hi Tanja,

We made our trip into Aus with the kids a bit of a pilgrimage by taking the Indian Pacific from Perth to Sydney. You've been given the right picture so far. The Indian Pacific is just short of a rattle trap and the rail is in a shocking condition as it shares the line with freight trains. And the trip is probably way overpriced.

Having said that we enjoyed every bit of the trip. Tania (mine) wrote a diary of the trip and it may well be the reading you need to put the experience into perspective. I'll get your details at the braai this Sunday to send you the diary.

We travelled in Gold Kangaroo and had two cabins (one for kids and one for us). The food was simply stunning and the scenery was what we wanted to see.

We may not do this trip again but we have no regrets having done it.

The trip from Perth to Adelaide takes 3 days and then you can either fly to Melbourne or take the overland. In all it would take 4 days although it would be a shame not to spend some time in Adelaide.

See you Sunday

Francois

Hi Francois,

Ons het saterdag by die outdoor show ontmoet, jy klink soos dieselfde persoon. Dit sal gaaf wees as jy vir my die details stuur.

Ons kan sondag bietjie gesels hieroor, dankie

Tanja

Einste Tanya, sien julle Sondag