Biltong box

Ungerers (Tanja U)

my husband is going to love this topic, only been here a few days and already he is planning his box....he also wants to make his own boerewors...do any of you do this as well?

Edited by lyall

my husband is going to love this topic, only been here a few days and already he is planning his box....he also wants to make his own boerewors...do any of you do this as well?

BILTONG

I see that many use rump for the meat. It works well but has the following drawbacks. The meat grain is finer and is softer but shrinks more.

Silverside is the BEST. The meat is coarse and a bit tougher and cheaper but gives a better result. I started by getting a book released by the meat board in about 1995 or so. There are several websites as well with info and I spoke to several butchers learing a bit here and there. Luckily all this before coming to Australia

WORS

I have made wors, and dried it as well! It is a lot of work. Guys I know use cheap mince from BiLo, but it is VERY difficult to mince it.

So I use beef and lamb with lots of fat cut into cubes. I bought arteficial skins which cook OK but they dry weird (when you break the wors the skin peels off.

To dry you must use thin skins. I only started doing it here once we arrived and the results were good, but took a lot of treaking to get it great.

Commercially in Australia Jims Jerky is pretty good for buying biltong and spices etc. It is a South African who owns it but named it jerky as Astralians know jerky, not biltong.

We got a butcher to make boerewors to our recipe and he also made the thin one for drying, but I had to buy 30 Kg at a time. My wife has found a butcher prepared to make to our recipe in Brisbane, but there must be places to get it.

Hi almal.... daai biltong lyk sommer lekker

onthou jul kan dit vries ook.... vir die wat nie weet nie, sommer so individueel in cling wrap. werk goed.

nou ja ons sal solank aan ons ontwerpie moet dink vir ons kassie as ons daar aankom...

kan mens een bou en saam vat of sal daar probleme met doeane wees??

lekker dag en eet lekker biltong daar in die verre OZ

Hi almal.... daai biltong lyk sommer lekker

onthou jul kan dit vries ook.... vir die wat nie weet nie, sommer so individueel in cling wrap. werk goed.

nou ja ons sal solank aan ons ontwerpie moet dink vir ons kassie as ons daar aankom...

kan mens een bou en saam vat of sal daar probleme met doeane wees??

lekker dag en eet lekker biltong daar in die verre OZ

Make a box and bring it, good idea, but make sure there is NO WOOD DUST or WOOD shavings. Clean it with a blower, seal the outside with varnish if possible. You can fill it with things you are bringing so it is not wasted space. Wish I had brought mine