Hayfever in Australia

Jitterbug

I would like to know if there are any cities in Australia that are particularly bad for people who suffer from hayfever. I know that it could be different for every person. I used to get really bad hayfever in East London, but hardly at all in Cape Town, whereas with my friend's mother it is the opposite.

Can anyone give their experience in Australia?

Although not in Aus, I do know that if you use raw honey of the region where you live, you will basically be safeguarded against hayfever. My dad and friends all had experience of this and it really works !

I never suffered from hayfever in SA, but do in Australia, when the wattles and eucalyptus plants flower I have problems...serious hayfever!!!!

I never suffered from hayfever in SA, but do in Australia, when the wattles and eucalyptus plants flower I have problems...serious hayfever!!!!

Now I am the opposite. I always had hayfever in South Africa, which was particually worse when I stayed in Joburg, I have been here 8 months now and no hayfever. Weird oviously there is some plant in SA that I am more allergic to then the plants here, although I haven't been through a Spring here yet, so I will wait and see.

As can be seen from the above, it really depends on the individual.

I used to get hayfever in the Freestate platteland when I was a kid. Moved to the big city (Gauteng) and it was gone.

In Australians cities I never had hayfever, but when I worked as a consultant in rural NSW (4 hours north-west of Sydney), I got it quite bad.

Btw, that was in a wine and honey-producing area. Lots of raw honey did not cure my symptoms, only drugs did.

Thanks everyone

we plan to move to perth, and without having a LSD first, Im really taking a chance with moving to a city where I could end up been miserable. I really suffered in my school days. Everyone thought I was chronically ill. I used to sneeze so much that i could not recover from the first sneeze when I had the next. it was terrible. sometimes i used to just cry.

Anyway, I really believe this is the right thing we are doing, so Im going to have faith that I will be healthy and happy in Perth ;)

Similar to you apetrova, I suffered through my school years in the Eastern Cape and everyone also thought I had chronic illness - although my parents mostly blamed it on ipiconners (??).

I spent 2 years between Sydney and Perth previously and did not have a single day of hayfever there. Same as the rest of my life in Gauteng. Seems like I'm allergic to something specific to the Eastern Cape and didn't find that in either Perth or Sydney.

I was reminded of my allergy this week again as I'm currently in PE to say goodbye to the family. Thursday I fly over to Newcastle, NSW and hope I'm not allergic to something over there.

• 3 months later...

I know this thread is rather old, but maybe it'll be of benefit still...

I never suffered in SA, but here in Melbourne it seems like if the wind is wrong and I'm in the park or in the city... poof, watery eyes, runny nose, etc. Hopefully it's only during this time of year (spring).

HTH

Rudi :-)

I know this thread is rather old, but maybe it'll be of benefit still...

I never suffered in SA, but here in Melbourne it seems like if the wind is wrong and I'm in the park or in the city... poof, watery eyes, runny nose, etc. Hopefully it's only during this time of year (spring).

HTH

Rudi :-)

I always suffered from hay fever in SA, Free State, JHB, Natal everywhere. Then I moved to NZ and guess what I still suffered from hay fever. I then moved to WA and I STILL suffer from hay fever. In some areas it is worse than others, even in Perth from one area to another.