Moving money from ZA to Aus via telegraphic transfer

Dedrei

Hi there

I have been emailing a guy in SA at ABSA to do a telegraphic transfer of $6000 to my Aus account, as it is quite a large amount and doing the credit card thing will just take ages. This is the response...

Goeiemiddag Dedrei,

Dankie vir die addisionele inligting.

U kwalifiseer om gebruik te maak van u reistoelaag van R160 000 per persoon ouer as 12 jaar. Kinders onder 12 kwalifiseer vir R50 000.00 U kan slegs gebruik maak van hierdie toelaag gedurende die 2006 kalender jaar. Geen verdere valuta mag aan u verleen word sonder die Reserwe Bank se goedkeuring nie.

Ons sal u reistoelaag op 'n elektroniese basis aan u kan stuur mits 'n persoon wat tekenmagtiging op u rekening het, die nodige dokumentasie kan voltooi. Ons benodig wel 'n afskrif (per faks of e-pos) van u paspoort en vliegtuigkaartjie toe u die land verlaat het.

Ons benodig ook die volgende skriftelike onderneming van u:

A written undertaking prior to the person's departure confirming that:

(a) All goods exported on departure together with all accumulated foreign assets, where such foreign assets were acquired with funds transferred from the Republic, or the sale proceeds thereof, will be repatriated on resumption of residency in the Republic; and

(:ilikeit: local credit and/or debit cards will not be utilised whilst temporarily abroad.

Wel ek weet nie wat (a) beteken nie, en wel (:ilikeit: het ons nog heeltyd gebruik aan en af, nou nie meer so baie nie maar paar maande terug. Dit bafflle my regtig hierdie. ;)

Nou sit en wonder ek of ek ooit die ou moes gekontak het, want email ek nie terug nie en hulle vries dalk my rekening of iets for some reason is ek in my moer.

En hulle soek afskrifte van ons vliegtuig kaartjies, dis oneway tickets, en dit gaan seker ook nog probleme maak.

Wat dink julle? Ek stres nou hierso bietjie.

Dedrei

They can't freeze your bank accounts if you are a SA Resident temporarily abroad - I assume you and hubby fall into this category as you are on 457 and you did not officially emigrate.

All that (a) says is what we have discussed on previous threads - when you relocate you may take assets (to the value of R1mio) with you but on your return you must bring them back (when you come back to RSA - ja right!) and you may not use your credit cards while you are temporarily residing overseas. You have to sign an undertaking that you will comply with these two requirements. Thereafter your bank will allow you access to a max of R160k (annual travel allowance)

Just make sure that in all your contacts with your bankers you advise them that you are temporarily overseas!

Cindylou