Tithe

Guest Lara

How much do people tithe on average?

I can't remember the last time I went to church and really have no idea how much money to put in the offering box.

I know in the bible it says to must give what you feel you can afford to give but I just want to know is there a average acceptable amount?

Agreed, according to the Bible, 10% of your gross income, but probably not everyone can "afford" that 10% figure. And it's no one else's business how much you give.

It's a matter between you and God, you give whatever you can, in the way you choose. I don't tithe here at church in Sydney, but send a monthly donation to my previous church in S.A.

Lara,

Maybe you can read the definition and also see why and how it is seen in the Old Testament versus the New Testament - just to get a better understanding of the "how much" part.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithing

It is a voluntury contribution as a means of supporting the church - so very personal, and as said above it is between you and God, if what you give (no matter the amount) is given with the right intention it can be used for the right causes.

Anelle

Edited by A&A

Hi

We tithe 10% of our gross income as per Malchi 3:10

Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows.

We tithe into our Oz church as I believe that it is my spiritual storehouse, where I come to be uplifted and where I worship.

The very word tithe has this definition tithe (t)

Main Entry: 1tithe

Pronunciation: \ˈtīth\

Function: verb

Inflected Form(s): tithed; tith·ing

Etymology: Middle English, from Old English teogothian, from teogotha tenth

Date: before 12th century

transitive verb

1 : to pay or give a tenth part of especially for the support of the church

2 : to levy a tithe on

intransitive verb

: to give a tenth of one's income as a tithe

So thats where churches and christian get the actual 10% number from the word tithe.

The bible also says this.

2 Cor 9:7 Each of you must give what you have decided in your heart, not with regret or under compulsion, since God loves a cheerful giver.
So I think that if you are giving 10% but everytime you do, you are bitter, angry about it, I don't think you are better off then if you haven't tithed at all.

At the end of the day what you give to the church is between you and God. I was convicted by the Holy Spirit on the above and that is why I do it that way. You need to pray over it and decide what is right for you and your family.

Candice

Lara

As everyone else said: It's between you and God. I feel that the 10% may include other expenses for worthy causes as well, so if you don't give it at the church per se, but in other places too, it's ok. Peace in your heart will be a good indication of the specific amount that is right for you.

Marnette

• 1 month later...

Hi Lara

Gee what a topic

I like to think of myself as a fairly committed Christian, but although we put a small offering in the basket every Sunday, I always believe that it is the spirit that the gift is given and not the amount that counts, I will never impoverish my family to look good in the eyes of some "TV" evangelist like some out there who week after week exhault their congregants to give more money!

Give your faith, your trust,your compassion and your time with those of your congregation who may need a shoulder from time to time, this counts far more with my God than any sum of money.

Go with God and don't let people tell you what to give, let the spirit guide you.

In Biblical times and in the Middle Ages, the church was responsible for the welfare concerns of its congregation as well as its spiritual guidance.

It would support the widow and the infirm.

Nowadays, we have a welfare state and we pay income tax to support the welfare commitments that the state gives out.

So. . . . . . . if the state is doing the job that the church traditionally used to do, should there still be the need for titheing?

You'll find in Life that you are broke each week when you are bringing up three kids, have a mortgage (bond) to pay out for, are paying off a car or two on hire purchase and have a dog, cat and a parrot to feed too!

Later on in Life, you're earning good money at the top of your career, will have the house paid off, the kids will be off your hands, having gone thro Uni and are earning good money themselves, you've paid cash for the two brand new cars sitting in your carport, etc.

There is a time for everything . . . . a time to reap and a time to harvest, a time to give and a time to get.

You give what little you can when you are in the "Broke" stage of life and dig deep when you are flush later on in Life.

If you're having sleepless nights about it, then you are being manipulated emotionally by the elders / church / evangelists.

When you walk daily with God, you'll find it's a willing affair between you and your God . . . . . no sleepless nights.