Help

Goldie

Hi

Never been to this part of the forum before, but thought maybe someone may be able to offer some advice, besides the obvious (that be having to take computer in to be repaired).

Whilst working between the forum and my emails the other evening, I heard a click and my screen went black. It started to go through the whole start up process again on it's own, but each time it gets to the welcome (windows xp) it clicks back and starts over again. After leaving it off for a day, I tried again and got to the desk top page, thinking all was good, but it soon clicked back to the restart process again. Am lost without my best friend and now had to reclaim my old pc back from the kids, so they aren't impressed either.

I know very little, but I do know that I can restore it to a previous setting date. Does anyone think this will help or can you offer anymore advice? I have AVG 8.0 and anti spyware (can't remember which one). We bought the computer second hand 4 months ago, so we are hoping it's not ready for the tip!!

Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks Candice

I am the last person to offer advice (self-confessed useless user! :ilikeit: ) but you could try to restart the computer in "safe mode" (if that makes any sense....)

Candice

Im not sure but it sounds if you got one of that very bad viruses, how restart you pc every time. Hope some the experts here will help you with your problem.

L'mari

Hi

I had a similar problem a while ago.

What it turned out to be was that the RAM was not making proper contact with the motherboard. I am not sure if you know how but try to remove the RAM from the motherboard, blow out any dust there may be and insert it back firmly.

That did it for my PC...

Hope this helps

Andre

OZSNW, there can be a multitude of reasons why this problem occurs - hardware or software wise. During the startup process many device drivers are loaded, as well as other software that needs to be executed, such as anti-virus software, firewall, a camera's software (perhaps), anti-spyware, etc. Device drivers are "things" that make your screen card, sound card, network card, modem, etc. function.

Fault-finding in this instance can be a tedious task and I'd advise you to rather take the machine to an expert. Simply restoring to a previous, working environment, might not solve the problem. It could be a virus; something that needs to be sorted out in MS-DOS mode. And as you can see, it now becomes very technical. Let someone else do the dirty work for you. :)

Edited by Janneman

Thanks all

It's going in tomorrow. My old PC had a similar problem and I spent an evening fiddling. I eventually did something which sorted it out, but can't get this one to do the same. Was probably fluke the last time. I've tried to reset to previous settings, but it ended up bepping at me and I thought the thing was going to blow up!! You're right, leave it to the experts. I've got a lot of docs etc that I don't want to lose on there (haven't saved them to disc or memory stick), so rather not risk losing everything.

Just so frustrating!! This old thing is doing the job, but is really slow and is low on memory, so I'd given it to the kids to play SIMS etc on.

Thanks again for the advice.

Candice