Yes, you can buy a skottel braai in Australia

AndreaL

The thing I probably miss the most here in Australia is my skottel braai, quick, easy to clean and very portable,so I decided to do a little search today and came up with a company that supplies cadac products in Australia, so I thought I would share this important discovery with my fellow forumites, the only difference seems to be in the way the gas bottle is fitted.

Cadac skottels and products in Australia

I know this is one of the biggest questions when bringing your goods over, to bring or leave the skottel and have heard about the different gas bottles and struggling to find adapters to fit Australian gas bottles, so hope this goes someway to answering that question.

Andrea L

p.s. click on the first picture on the bottom left, Carry Chef Deluxe

Edited by AndreaL

Now . . . . the $64 question?

Can you get your hands on these in Adelaide?

I believe you can get them in Perth and Melbourne, but it might be a while till I get to one of those cities.

Do Cadac offer a list of suppliers throughout Australia?

The thing I probably miss the most here in Australia is my skottel braai, quick, easy to clean and very portable,so I decided to do a little search today and came up with a company that supplies cadac products in Australia, so I thought I would share this important discovery with my fellow forumites, the only difference seems to be in the way the gas bottle is fitted.

Cadac skottels and products in Australia

I know this is one of the biggest questions when bringing your goods over, to bring or leave the skottel and have heard about the different gas bottles and struggling to find adapters to fit Australian gas bottles, so hope this goes someway to answering that question.

Andrea L

p.s. click on the first picture on the bottom left, Carry Chef Deluxe

Interesting. I was thinking of bringing my skottel with but I am concerned I will not be able to get a connector?

Cheers

Alan

I believe you can get them in Perth and Melbourne, but it might be a while till I get to one of those cities.

Hi Bob

I spoke briefly to a gentleman at the company and he says they supply their products to over 700 retailers in Australia, I would suggest you contact them via phone or email to find the nearest supplier.

For those of you in South Africa it might be worth checking which parts of your existing skottels could be compatible,perhaps the wok plate and grill might fit and you would only have to buy the bottom section.

Contact details as follows Hark, supplier of cadac skottels known as carry chef deluxe

Andrea L

• 4 weeks later...

We were talking about getting a skottel when we get there and were wondering about them. This is a great help.

Thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Bob

Try http://www.satooz.com/category5_1.htm. They will ship to almost anywhere. They have adapters for the Aus gas bottles as well

Thanks LeeinOz. I think the general concensus coming through on both this thread and previous posts on the forum relating to Cadac is that the fittings will work (with assistance from an adaptor) but that the gas bottles will most probably cause problems. Certain stamps and certification details are required in Oz before the bottles will be filled and the SA Cadac cylinders are apparently problematic in this regard.

Do the forumites in Oz who have travelled this route agree?

Mark

Do not even think of bringing any sort of gas bottles to Australia regardless of make. The refillers will not touch or exchange them. If you bring them, you will also stuggle to get rid of them as there is no "affirmative shopping" in OZ. I do miss the days in S.A when you could leave anything big and bulky out side on the curb and it would be gone in 5 minutes.

In OZ you have to dump it yourself and it can cost you.

The CADAC adaptors are availabe at most outdoor sections in the big supermarkets.

What is the size/type of fitting on the Oz cylinder? If I am not mistaken I think the SA fitting on gas cyclinders is RH 3/8" BSP Female fitting - for the small cadac cylinder which you would use for the skottelbraai.

Thanks