Why don't I get a reply?

engel81

I am a qualified high school English teacher. In NSW you have to do an induction course with the Dept. of Education before you can start wokring as a teacher - this course is scheduled for 1 September, so as I don't want to sit at home I decided to apply for some PA/Admin jobs.

(I have more than 2 years experience in being a PA for a director in the UK)

I have sent out my CV to 16 different recruitment agencies and NO word. I am very confident that my CV and cover letter is 100 % correct, but can't understand why I am not getting any responses.

Can anyone help me? Any advice?

Hi,

I assume that you're currently in NSW, first of all (not clear from your profile?)

Recruiters will only place people that they believe are 'low' risk (they generally offer a money back guarantee if the candidate leaves within 3 months), so if they think that you are using a PA role as a stepping stone while waiting for the "right" job, then they'll pay no attention to you. Of course, none of this is relevant if you are applying for temp jobs. If that's the case, then it may be that they want someone who is a 'career' PA, so that they can step in and run straight away, instead of needing an adjustment time.

In Australia, PA / Executive Assistant roles are a little more revered than they are in SA, so they tend to be a bit more choosy about these than they are about, say, general office administrative workers, so maybe you can consider some alternative roles to fulfil while waiting for your licence to teach?

Cheers

Ajay

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old post, but the question is relevant. I applied for a job via a recruitment agency recently, and the person there accidentally replied to me instead of forwarding the email to her colleague - so I got the whole truth!!!

Anyway the short story is that they don't favour my long distance application because (1) I don't have Australian experience and (2) If you apply from outside Aussie then you are not available at short notice for follow up interviews.

Not much I can do about (1) but does anyone else have any ideas about how to overcome this problem? Your experiences will be appreciated.

I realise that first prize is to resign and just go there - but I stand a chance of bankrupting myself in the process!!

If it is a PA post that you are after, then I think you will have huge difficulty in getting that whilst still living in South Africa.

I think you would have to be in a position of high demand to be able to get a position from South Africa. That has been my experience with others on this forum and with those that I have met here.

Australian recruitment agencies, I find, are also not quite the same as South African ones, I would rather try and make contact with companies directly.

I see this is an old post, but the question is relevant. I applied for a job via a recruitment agency recently, and the person there accidentally replied to me instead of forwarding the email to her colleague - so I got the whole truth!!!

Anyway the short story is that they don't favour my long distance application because (1) I don't have Australian experience and (2) If you apply from outside Aussie then you are not available at short notice for follow up interviews.

Not much I can do about (1) but does anyone else have any ideas about how to overcome this problem? Your experiences will be appreciated.

I realise that first prize is to resign and just go there - but I stand a chance of bankrupting myself in the process!!

I am willing to eat someones hat if you secure a PA job in Aus all the way from RSA. If you are serious about coming to Aus, get on that plane.

Avoid employment agencies like a plague.

Instead target companies directly and if possible find out and send your resume directly to the HR person of the company. Perhaps in your covering letter expand on how your current skills are transferable to a PA/Admin role.

Also bear in mind that CVs/Resumes are set out very differently in Australia than South Africa.

Bailey

The sense I get from the other posts is to avoid employment agencies!!

I have 2 internationally recognised professional qualifications (CA(SA) and CFP) - and they still ignore you!!

As they say is Aussie, No worries mate - just go direct to the company instead :cry: