Hi all!

wannabewallaby

Hi all!

I've joined the forum a week ago and have been taking in all I've read - what a great source of information! Thanks!

We have decided to go Down Under quite some time ago - I applied for all the documentation in August 2005 and received the last document (unabridged marriage certificate) in February 2008! Seems one need a lot of patience!! According to Home Affairs our three little boys were born out of wedlock! :ilikeit: I had to send them the document we signed in church 12 years ago in order for us to be put on the register!

I have written my IELTS on 28 June (after I booked in January!) and my husband will be doing his this coming Saturday (26 July).

We want to go to Melbourne or Adelaide and must still decide which route to follow, 457, 176 or a student visa.

While on the topic of the STUDENT VISA, I understand if I do my master's it entitles my husband to work? Apparently the application fees are inexpensive and the student visa does not take that long to get - the only difficulty is that you must prove you have sufficient funds to last a year... Once in Oz with a student visa or a 457 (my husband is in IT, so let's hope!), we will apply for PR.

As I have said, we have three little boys (4, 5 and 7 - the worst is over!!) and the reasons for going is therefor quite obvious!

I would love to join Bloem's Coffee Club, but with the 4vannemerwes gone and the Wepener Warboel on their way, I do not know who else wannebewallabies??

Thanks for all the info and the great support you give one another!

Bye! - Wannabewallaby

Hi there. We are also going, applied for a 136 PR in August last year. We are having some issues with the visa and 5 bonus points because of the withdrawal of capital investment option but I have been looking into the student visa option as a back up if my original visa i s denied. I will also register for a masters degree. You can work 20 hours per week during the term time but hubby is also restricted to 20 hours - I believe that you cann apply for extended working hours. It looks like a feasible option but it will be quite expensive. The fees that I have looked at are $15600 for the year plus international school fees for the kids!

At the end of the day though it is a way in and if you work for 20 hours per week for 1 year you can get 10 points for Aussie work experience if I have understood all the red tape. I would love to hear if anyone else has gone this route to see how it has panned out!

Ciao,

Deirdre

Hi all!

I've joined the forum a week ago and have been taking in all I've read - what a great source of information! Thanks!

We have decided to go Down Under quite some time ago - I applied for all the documentation in August 2005 and received the last document (unabridged marriage certificate) in February 2008! Seems one need a lot of patience!! According to Home Affairs our three little boys were born out of wedlock! :ilikeit: I had to send them the document we signed in church 12 years ago in order for us to be put on the register!

I have written my IELTS on 28 June (after I booked in January!) and my husband will be doing his this coming Saturday (26 July).

We want to go to Melbourne or Adelaide and must still decide which route to follow, 457, 176 or a student visa.

While on the topic of the STUDENT VISA, I understand if I do my master's it entitles my husband to work? Apparently the application fees are inexpensive and the student visa does not take that long to get - the only difficulty is that you must prove you have sufficient funds to last a year... Once in Oz with a student visa or a 457 (my husband is in IT, so let's hope!), we will apply for PR.

As I have said, we have three little boys (4, 5 and 7 - the worst is over!!) and the reasons for going is therefor quite obvious!

I would love to join Bloem's Coffee Club, but with the 4vannemerwes gone and the Wepener Warboel on their way, I do not know who else wannebewallabies??

Thanks for all the info and the great support you give one another!

Bye! - Wannabewallaby

Hello and welcome to the forum

Happy reading

Cheers

Narms

Hi wannabawallaby,

Both you and hubby are restricted to 20 hours work per week, so you might have to consider that up front. If hubby is in IT, he may have a decent chance at getting a 457, especially if he has software skills (as opposed to hardware / networking). Get him to apply for any job that looks suitable with a covering letter stating that he requires a sponsored visa.

Good luck!

Ajay

Thanks for the info!

I was under the impression that my husband can work full-time if I am granted the student visa 573? On immi.gov.au, under the topic, How this visa works, I found the following info:

You can work a maximum of 20 hours per week throughout the year. A week begins on a Monday and ends the following Sunday.

Exceptions: Family members of students can work unlimited hours when the student starts their main course:

students enrolled in Masters by coursework (visa 573)

students enrolled in Masters by research or Doctoral degree (visa 574)

students studying a Masters by coursework, Masters by research or Doctoral degree, sponsored by AusAID or Defence (visa 576).

You cannot undertake work until the primary student visa holder has started their course in Australia.

Anybody who have more info regarding this?

- wannabewallaby

Hi there Wannabewallaby - just wanted to drop by and welcome you to the forum.

Hope you manage to determine which visa class you're going to apply for. Good luck.

RoMar

• 2 weeks later...