We have arrived in Australia

polly

We spent the last two days looking at places. Learnt that if a price sound too good to be true, the place is in a bad state. Last night, before going to see the places today, I sent in some applications through the websites. I just didn't tick the box that said we had viewed the place. SO the first place we viewed used that application, phoned us a little later and asked if we wanted to proceed. By 6 she phoned to say we have been accepted! Now we just have to decide if that is the place we want. :ilikeit::D Going to send in the other applications tomorrow if we want more options. Seems the bigger places are not in such high demand. Each place only one other person came to view. It is something to get used to, the fact they have specific viewing times and don't let you come when it suits you.

We decided to move to the east of Melbourne since it is close to the ocean, has good schools and is very close to hubby's work. Other areas (like Sunbury - thanks Mara) looked great, but I might actually start working again in years to come, so it will hopefully be close to wherever I get to work too. (Gonna try the "You don't need to go to Uni, to go to Uni" route ;) - distance learning, maybe going to go back to teaching)

Hi Polly

ek is so bly dit gaan goed met julle. Ons join julle 14 Augustus in Melbourne en ek kan net nie meer wag nie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ilikeit:

Trudie

HEY POLLY

THAT SOUNDS GREAT...I HOPE YOU FIND A GOOD PLACE TO STAY, am going to be in the same process myself in a few weeks time..the bus fare sounds a bit pricey to me..is this a normal rate?? i a also going to be using a bus service to and from work...

i know what you mean about the dockyards..I feel the same about things about my dad, hes's been dead for 20 years..we were very close and i still miss him every single day...he was a fitter and turner and my husband is also..it feels like a link with my dad...very strange hey! whenever i do something new or exciting my first thought is always what my dad would have thought ot it... my dad didnt die unexpectedly, has was very ill for many years before he died, and we all suffered along with him, when he eventually died it was a relief...we had a party at his request, he didnt want anyone crying over him..i've got the same clause in my will...oopps..sorry to hi jack your thread, i tend to run away a bit sometimes...

keep us posted polly, on how the home hunting goes..i wish more people whould tell us their expeirences have been so we can have more idea of what to expect...

Our first offer got accepted! Still on the same day! Our other offers also got accepted, but we decided to go with the first one. It is in Balwyn North. It is close to the schools, which is really nice and the place is much bigger than we had in SA. We are moving in next Saturday. Signing papers this weekend. Also going to pick up some of the small things we will need, like kettle, iron, toaster and beds :D SOmeone gave the tip to try "The Good Guys" so we will visit one of their stores afterwards :)

I had long chats with each of the agents and the kids went with, so I think it helped. Many of the places we saw lokoed nothing like the pics. You can see the pics were taken long ago, so the places are a bit worn down. As you move further out the city centre, the house prices drop a lot. We kinda took ideas for areas from how actively the house ad advertised the fact that they are in a specific school's zone. Seems to be quite accurate ;) Mckinnon is also a really nice school, which was around the other area we were looking (a bit more pricey and houses were scarce)

Thanks for telling about your experience with your father. It helps to know I am not abnormal :) Don't think the feeling will ever go away, though hopefully it will mellow.

PS We used the www.realestateview.com.au website to enter our application. We only entered the details for hubby, since I don't have references or anything. So the applications are on his name. You can upload scans of the passports, which is what we did.

Last night was the first time SA haunted me a bit. Been watching to many crime programs I think. Every sound kept me awake. Wind on the shutters makes me nervous. Hopefully tonight will be better. I sleep better with all the windows closed. Hopefully the summer will be ok, or we will be runnning the aircon all the time ;)

Oh, Zone 1 ticket is $6.50 per day and allows travel on trams, trains and buses for the whole day in zone 1. A 7-day ticket is $30 (approx). It gets cheaper the more in bulk you buy. So you don't have to buy another ticket if you want to travel somewhere else in the day. Our new place is still in zone 1, so hubby is just gonna buy a month ticket. He uses the train now, but will be using the tram from next week. Travel is a lot slower, but he doesn't have to drive and we don't need another car.

Oh, and people go jogging in the botanical gardens over lunch in the city.

We bought the last of the beds today. The west's shops are a lot cheaper than the east, including delivery! (almost double) It was between $50 and $85 for delivery from the West to the East. I can recommend the shops in Rosamond street. We were lucky in that we also found a furniture store closing down, so we got things at a good price.

Tomorrow we are hoping to buy a car we saw. Lots of second-hand dealers on Ballarat street (close to Rosamond). Hold thumbs we find something we can afford. The budget is a little tight.

Edited by polly

Sorry we didn't get to the meet, we are still a bit jetlagged and have no idea how to find the place :ilikeit:

Will definitely make a plan in future since it is already a bit lonely.

Learnt a hard lesson. Don't put all your sentimental stuff in one suitcase. Of course it will be that one that goes missing (plus it contained all the nappies). It is still missing. I fear we will never see it again.

It is hard keeping contact with family and friends. We only have hubby's work phone at the moment, so we don't want to abuse it with international calls. Hard not knowing what is going on, especially with the time difference.

The jetlag is getting better. We started setting the alarm to try to keep to normal waking times. Seems to be helping, especially with the kids.

Hi Polly,

It sounds great. Good idea about the stickers and stuff that can't fall. Where are you living at the moment? We are hoping on PR and being there early December. Furnished apartments just seem unaffordable. How do you rent, what docs do you need for the rentals? Are you bringing a container over? How old is jour little girl?

Enjoy the stay and looking forward to meeting you in Melbourne. <_<

• 2 weeks later...

We got a nice place now in Balwyn North. The school is really nice and the neighbours came to say hi. We just used our passports for the rental. Didn't seem to need anything else (they didn't ask for anything else).

We are bringing a container. It contains some major appliances, one bunkbed, a few chests of drawers and some chests. Then of course the clothes and sentimental stuff and books. We bought beds, etc. here. Will post longer post as soon as we get our modem. Hubby's phone doesn't last very long :rolleyes:

If you are coming to Melbourne, maybe we can make a plan to help. We organised our rental in a few days. A lot of places available immediately around here. Will post longer hopefully before the end of the week. Plus all the places we found with good service :ilikeit:

So after three weeks loneliness caught up. It is hard having limited contact with our 'old' life. We moved into our new place on Saturday. From Monday the phone was connected, so I could phone and when I post this, we have gotten our modem. It makes a big difference. I miss my friends and family, but every day we are here, going back is less of an option. We definitely don't want to do that. I already would find it hard to adjust to life back there. Things are so open here. It feels spacious, just because there aren't fences and high walls everywhere.

Last week was a rush. The weekend we bought couches, a diningroom suite and a bedroom suite. Found a place closing down so got floor stock for a lot cheaper. Bought the last of the beds (for the kids) on Wednesday (discontinued line at Harvey Osmond (??)) and a car on Thursday. The guys at the car dealership were really nice. (Syd Ellis Motors on Ballarat Rd in Footscray, Melbourne - huge selection and negotiable prices) They had the car registered and available by Friday, which was great, so we had two cars for the move. Returned the rental on Monday :o Also got the forms for the schooling the Thursday, then had to go to the municipality to have the immunisation charts converted to Aussie ones. The kids need to get some more 'shots', so that is happening on the 20th. Monday is their first day at school.

The weekend we bought a tv, kettle, etc. at The Good Guys. Was really disappointed with them in the end. They forgot to deliver the tv (we had to chase it up as well) and their prices were not so great. All the locals recommended them, but when I was window shopping this week, found places like Big W are a lot cheaper for the same things. (I would suggest you go to Big W first and use them as a base when comparing prices, from clothes to electrics.) We bought a little bar fridge instead of renting a big fridge. It works out the same pricewise and we never had a barfridge. Maybe one day we can get a bar ;) We basically have to shop for dinner every day, but it gets me out of the house and keeps me exploring. I am getting to know the neighbourhood this way and don't feel guilty about driving around. Also getting to know the shopkeepers. Makes me feel a bit more at home.

Our timing seems to have been great. Everyone is having big sales. One week was bedding, next was furniture. This week is baby stuff it seems. A Big W here had an opening sale, so got jeans for myself for $10.

This week we got a pc, FINALLY! :D Ordered it from a place on Cambridge street in Box Hill (MSY Computers I think the name was). By far the cheapest prices we have found so far. And they are open 'late' (in other words after 5:30pm). The place is really really busy. One of the few places that builds customised pcs. Now I can go surfing without begging hubby for his laptop.

Things taking some getting used to in Melbourne:

Doors lock the wrong way round (turn the key the other way)

People are really relaxed when ringing up your shopping (ok, just like Cape Town if you have lived in Gauteng for a while ;))

People here seem very relaxed about schooling

School starts at 9 am and ends at 3:30 pm. Time-wise the same as in SA, but weird to start so late in the morning. The kids all seem to walk to school.

P-platers: their driving tends to be scary (still don't know when someone gets a p-plate)

Banks ARE NOT open on Saturdays (except for certain branches in really big centres apparently - haven't found one yet)

Shortage of ATMs.

People are a lot more trusting here.

Most of the shops (except for Coles and Co) close at 5:30 :(. Coles and Safeway tend to close around midnight :)

I miss having a 'One-stop Shop' like the Hypermarket. Very few malls, so you tend to have to shop little bits all over the place. Lots of stops. Not so great with kids tagging along.

Parking spaces are a lot bigger than in SA, so far which is nice.

People park on the side of the road everywhere! Not great at all.

You get three bins. One for rubbish, one for recycling and one for garden stuff. Most things seem to come prepacked, so lots of rubbish.

Dustbins are very small (anyone know if I can ask for a bigger one?)

Energy efficient globes are expensive! For a country making a big fuss, SA is ahead in the energy conservation area I think. I should have packed tons of those globes in the container. Wish I had known :( ($3 a globe approx.) The house we are renting doesn't contain one energy efficient globe! The previous one didn't either. Going to cost a pretty penny to replace them all.

Takeaways are extremely expensive. Cheaper to buy a roast and prepare it at home (and now I am comparing to buying at McDonalds)

KFC Rounder does not taste like a KFC rounder (don't get me started on our search for mayo!)

Bacon is BIG! Alll the takeaway places sell some sort of bacon / bacon and cheese burger

Takeaways don't have the health options like in SA. I really miss the kids healthy option at KFC. My boys loved it and it is so much healthier.

Most people seem to buy groceries weekly / bi-weekly, not monthly like we are used to.

The amount of fresh things available is amazing! Found a new mall in Doncaster with a 'vegetable shop'. I have never seen so much variety! It makes it easy to eat healthily at home.

'Luxury' things, like sodas, chocolates, sigarettes ($80+ a packet!) and liqour are really expensive relative to other foods. I now buy fruit juice at Big W for $2.50 a 3L vs a 2L Coke costing almost the same. (opposite to SA)

I see very few smokers. Mostly teenage kids just out of school. As someone who has asthma, that suits me fine :) I would recommend you quit before you come here. Expensive habit to support in Aus.

The news doesn't really cover much of anything internationally (except celebrity news - very big here). People don't seem to care too much about the 'world out there'. If the USA is worse, it must be really bad.

Free TV is SO much better than SABC :D

Lots and lots of crime shows (CSI (all three), NCIS, Cold Case, Law and Order, some local shows too) and antique / heritage (mostly British) shows. Losts of comedies from about 7 to 8:30.

The kids educational tv on ABC the kids enjoy a lot.

The ratings for shows (e.g PG) is a lot stricter than it was in SA. The new season of Two and a half men, for example, is on a lot later (after kids bedtime) and is deemed for mature audiences. I like this :)

The 'bugs' here are different. Every time I get a cut or a nick, I need to disinfect. It seems to get infected fast. VERY glad I brought so much Germoline and plasters. Anyone coming for a visit from RSA had better bring some with as a gift! ;):P

Saw an incident of road rage the other day. Nothing too hectic (compared to what we are used to), just a guy screaming at a woman for taking his parking space. It upset me tremendously though, much more than it should have. Think I will be haunted by the past for a really long time. I hope my kids are spared this feeling.

I don't regret leaving SA for a minute. Still sometimes wonder a little bit if we should have gone to the USA, but I think we made the right choice.

Edited by polly

19 August

Today was the second day of school for the boys. We walked to school this morning. (It rained yesterday, so we had to drive.) Some other children joined us on the walk. It was rather fun. The boys really enjoyed walking with school friends. They greeted me at the gate and ran off, didn't even look back. My younger son didn't even have first day tears!

Walking to pick them up again this afternoon. Hopefully the exercise will do me some good :) Baby also enjoys the outings a lot.

Getting school supplies was a mission. Never got a list when we enrolled. The teachers gave it yesterday. With school ending so late in the afternoon, plus the guy coming to fix the alarm system, it was really late when I rushed off to buy the supplies. Luckily Big W is open 'till 6 now. Unfortunately I didn't reconise the things on the list, except for words like 'pencil' and 'washable'. Sent the stuff to school and told them to ask the teacher if those were the right things. A hint if you come, bring flip files! The kids need a lot, but the Aussie version is a little different. And they have a different name. The kids also needed 1 Gig USB memory sticks and earphones with microphones.

Got a washing amchine today. Tried renting, but the machine they brought (a toploader) didn't clean the clothes :) Sent it back. Then we found a place (Ashwood Bulk on Warrigal Rd, Ashwood) by accident (stopped at a red light and saw the shop :)). They sell 'shop-soiled' appliances(fridges, washing machines, dryers, etc.), things that got dented or scratched at the factory. Buying a front loader was the equivalent of 6 month's rent, so we figured we might even be able to sell it later and get some money back. It can take 8kg loads, which is great, so my first load is now in. Gonna be washing all day. (And I can't even find the scratch) Thank goodness it isn't raining today. First time in a while.

Hopefully the modem comes otday. Telstra is being slow ;) Then I can post this (and all my other notes :o) So glad we packed some of hubby's games in our luggage. Nice way to relax. So I am going to go play again. I get about 10 minutes every now and then. Then Alyssa wakes up and switches off the pc.... I save A LOT ;)

22 August

The kids first week of school is nearly over. One of the kids lost his top within two days. He forgot it in hte office and it just dissapeared (yes, I did mark it :o) So school isn't so much different than in SA... The uniform shop is only open two days a week, so only got him a new top this morning. Not so pleasant with the cold we've had. They are enjoying school a lot. We walk every morning and afternoon. They adjusted to the walks pretty fast. The school also sends out lots of circulars for parent volunteers. Already got three different requests and it has only been a week. So it is easy to get involved at the school. With a baby in the house, I think I will wait a little before I volunteer.

Got a mail yesterday. Apparently our container has almost reached Australia. Don't know how long customs will take, but hopefully we will have our things in not too long from now. I also want to get hold of my warm jackets. WEaring poor hubby's stuff at the moment. It gets really cold here with the rain and wind.

People's driving and parking are still freaking us out. They just park anywhere. Parallel parking seems to be the way to go (and reverse parking is REALLY popular). If the Coles here were just a little closer, I would not drive at all. Half the cars seem to be huge SUV's. Power is popular... Haven't really seen much in the way of MPVs, other than the big ones (Chrysler Grand Voyager and Kia Carnival). No Honda FRV, Mazda 5's or Toyota Corolla Verso. People seem to buy the SUVs if they want a 7-seater. Actually seen two Renault Scenics, but European cars are scarcer here and much more expensive.

STILL waiting for our internet connection. NOT impressed with Telstra. Now they say only by the 26th. Well, we'll see if they can even keep that date. Very frustrating, since we use the internet to find out where things are... I guess I will have to go looking for a library to post all these soon. :)

Hi Polly

Thank you so much for your posts, reading them brings a lump to my throat and makes me excited for the day its me doing them! Keep them coming, much appreciated.

Eva

Hi Polly

Thanks for all the news and details. (A friend just decided she won't be going to Aus because of the cigarette price.I promised her I will find her a job once we're there so she can stop :whome:

I definitely want to remember to take a lot of energy efficient globes. Should they be bayonet of screw-in?

All the best to you and your family.

:ilikeit:

Oh, gentlemen hide your credit cards when you got to IKEA. Wow! What a range of things. It was great shopping there :whome: You can outfit your whole house! But remember to get some tools like hammers and screwdrivers. It is self-assembly. Their prices are really competitive. We got a sideboard there and bedside lamps. Much cheaper than at the lighting store. Hopefully later the year we will have some cash to buy desks for the boys. The wood of the furniture is pine, not the compressed stuff. It is worth looking at their website for prices when you go shopping to compare.

And if you are thinking of giving your wife / partner any jewelery in the next few years, stock up now in SA. On sale a sterling silver pendant is $20. Gold and diamonds are really expensive and I don't really see many women walk around with jewelery.

Ironically found walking to school with the kids is faster than driving. Parking is a nightmare and lady drivers! Don't get me started :ilikeit: :ilikeit: So walking it is. I got an all-weather cover for the pram for little one so she doesn't get blown away by the wind. It gets a little chilly at the moment. She gets in the pram in the mornings by herself. She really loves getting out of the house. The boys have commented on the fact that the school doesn't have a big field (rugby field like schools in SA have). Didn't realise how much they would miss the space to run in. There are lots of climbing frames at the school and the grades all have their areas they can play in. Making friends is slow going, but then they haven't been at school very long. It is harder for my 6 year-old. He really misses his friends. My older son can at least email friends and family.

I had better go to bed now. SO excited to finally have proper internet at home :ilikeit:

We won a photoshoot! Yay! (http://www.verveportraits.com.au/site/contents#Home) We get one free framed print (abviously hoping we will buy more :jester:) It is something exciting to happen this week.

It has really helped having the internet. Most stores here have websites and they have just about all their stock on the sites, so you can browse before going shopping. It makes life a lot easier, because most of the shops aren't grouped together like we are used to. Some places even give directions on their websites on which trams / trains to take to get to their stores. Most usually have a Melways reference so it is easy to find them in the mapbook.

Still walking the kids to school with the result that I have dropped another jeans size (and no Kellogs Special K!) and cut the walk from 15 minutes to 5 (without the kids :ilikeit:). Can't keep buying new clothes, so I settled for a belt. Target seems to have weekly sales like Edgars does, so I managed to get 20% off. (Clothes were on sale this week). The fun part about walking to school is I get to meet other parents. They are all very helpful and keen to give advice when you ask. I got referals to several playgroups in the area. I want to try to join one so I can meet other people. Other moms seem to be great at sharing information :ilikeit: ) There is a term fee payable and most of the playgroups seem to be based at churches. The churches here are beautiful. Most are built in an older style, but the modern ones are also nice.

A good discovery was that every municipality has their own website. A fount of information! They list playgroups, places you can get immunisations, etc. I also found out you can get a bigger dustbin (families of 5+), so now I just need to phone them to get one. Also need to find out if they have a 'welcome pack'.

This whole recycling thing can get SO confusing. The three bins outside are for garden rubbish, recyclables and general. Ironically, the recyclables they accept in the Boroondara distric is different to what they accepted in Williamstown. Thank goodness the bins all have stickers on the inside listing exactly what can be recycled. You have to pupt out the bin the night before, since the removal guys can come really early in the morning. This week hubby forgot and we woke up to the sound of the truck coming past. Thank goodness they only do one side of the street at a time, so we put the bin on the other side of the street and later, when they came back, they emptied the bin. Thank goodness. We really have to get a bigger bin. These small ones (120l) don't fit everything at all.

We are slowly replacing all the lightbulbs. Been checking them, it is a mixture of screw-in and bayonet. Have seen some places have specials if you buy the energy efficient ones in larger quantities. $8 for 2 at Big W seems to be the normal rate otherwise.

Found the SA Shop in Templestowe a dissapointment. No Crosse & Blackwell and no jellytots. Oh, well, guess we will start experimenting with the 'salad cream' that someone suggested.

The adrenaline of everything that has happened has now worn off. We have found ourselves to be really tired lately. Trying to remember to dose up on vitamins, but so easy to forget... Started drinking Milo. It is BIG here. All the stores seem to stock it and in big quantities too. Even a 'yoghurt'. The yoghurt here is really thick, about the consistency of thick mousse. Makes it less messy for the kids to eat.

Have I told you about my washing line? According to the estate agent, it is an Aussie design. You can 'winch' it higher and lower. It is HUGE! I run the washing machine all day and I still can't fill it more than half way. How fantastic! :ilikeit: I can easily fit all the bedding in the house on it in one go. So yesterday was washing day, the wind blew, and when we got home I was picking up my sheets all over the garden. Luckily they are all light, so I could find them in the dark! So from now on, four pegs at least on a sheet.

Some pictures I have been taking, in case someone is interested. Please excuse the blurred ones, can't expect hubby to stop evey five minutes :ilikeit: Also still learning how to use my new-fangled camera :jester:

Sorry all the links are for facebook, but don't have time for multiple uploads. Hope everyone can see them.

Westgate Bridge:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6827...mp;id=687825254

New house

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6825...mp;id=687825254

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6353...mp;id=687825254

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6843...mp;id=687825254

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6826...mp;id=687825254

St Kilda and beach

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6844...mp;id=687825254

Melbourne: driving through the city

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=6827...mp;id=687825254

Oh, one last thing for today: I regret not packing a recipe book in our luggage. I am now stuck doing baking with those instant mixes. Sure is easier, but I miss baking something from scratch. Started buying the Recipes + magazine to get used to cooking with 'local foods'. Got soem really nice recipes and they publish recipes fomr "Ready Steady Cook".

(Oh, red peppers are capsicums here)

HI Polly

I am really enjoying your posts, thanks for sharing.

We are looking to move to Melbourne early next year, visa time line permitting

HI Polly

I am really enjoying your posts, thanks for sharing.

We are looking to move to Melbourne early next year, visa time line permitting

Hi Polly,

I love your stories. THank you. Hope I can buy you a cup of coffee when we get there. Hope it is January.

Hi Polly,

Love the pics! It is always nice to see how other experience a place.

Funny that we also went to the SA shop and was disappointed?????

Will speak to you soon for a get together!

Nats

So I saw today you can buy Jack Daniels and Coke in a can. Isn't that sacrilege? ;):P

Got my hands a little full. My younger son felt ill this morning so I kept him home. Unfortunately the themometer is in the container :( Not a smart move on my part. Lucky I gave my son the benefit of the doubt. He is very sick tonight. Was hoping to postpone the adventure of discovering the pharmacy for a little while longer. Going to run out of fever meds soon, so I guess I had better go discovering tomorrow sometime. Guess I will have to go ask the neighbours about doctors soon too...

The kids seem to be enjoying school. Sending tennis balls with are making them more popular during breaks. Interesting setup: They have two break, lunch and a snack. They first eat in class, then go out to play. This school doesn't have a 'tuck shop'. On Thursdays you can order pies or sushi for the Friday. My kids don't want sushi, but the oldest saw a friend eat it, so confidentially told me he would try it one day. :) They seem to leave most of their books at school. The backpack only carries their lunchboxes. I got them ones with coolerbags. Hearing about the hot summers, thought it would be a good idea. Currently packing sandwiches, some fruit (apples/strawberries), a yoghurt and a little biscuit. Sometimes I add a few small blocks of cheese (haven't found Melrose here) or meatballs.

The weekend we also go the boys desks for doing their homework. FurnitureWorks is the cheapests with desks and stationary (even school stuff). It makes life a lot easier. I don't like it when they do homework on the dining room table. Things always go missing when clearing for dinner. The boys love the desks plus it gives a place for them to put their backpacks. They do a lot of drawing and colouring for school. Next week the oldest has to hand in a bookreport. The teacher is very impressed with his english. The younger is 6, he has effectively missed 6 months of primary school with the move, so he has to learn to read and write really fast. I found a pack of Go-Fish cards that work with letters. We have been playing it to help him learn his letters. He loves the interaction.

It has beena few good days weatherwise, but today, after hanging out three loads of washing, it decided to rain. I really don't like what they term indoor washing racks here. So glad I packed my old one from SA. Can't wait for it to come. I park the small one we have over a ducted heating vent. It dries the clothes rather quickly.

Speaking of ducted heating: anyone know how to keep the things closed? My daughter discovered she can open them and I think that is where my house keys have dissapeared to. (Too scared to stick my arm in - images of large rats knawing on my fingers.)

Hubby managed to get a virus on his laptop at work, so I had better go sort out dinner and look after my poor sick boy.

Edited by polly