Buying a GPS.

SimonS

Hi guys;

I am in the market for a GPS. I want to buy something which I can use now in SA and then in Australia. Something which will be good for offroad use. Maps will have to be readily available and the unit should have service agents in Aus.

Any ideas ?

Cheers.

I have used TomTom on my cell phone which works very well.

They have just opened a Office is SA. http://www.tomtom.co.za/ and have maps for Southen Africa and Australia.

TomTom is the world's largest navigation solution provider.

Go to http://www.tomtom.com and select Australia for more info.

Cheerio

Sean

Edited by Sean Udal

We have a TomTom - fantastic!!! We've been allover Australia without getting lost. We like the color scheme of the screen - it's not too "busy" and you can see clearly where you have to go, when your next turn will be and in which direction so you could pick your lanes etc. If you want to go into the outback, the Garmin is a better choice - might be for road travelling as well, but we decided on the Tom Tom and are very happy with our choice.

I bought the Garmin 60Csx and are extremely happy!

It is good for on road use since it is able to do automatic routing (no nice girl talking, only beebs to get your attention).

It is also good for offroad, hiking (since it uses 2x AA batteries and it is possible to replace easely if it goes flat while hiking) it is waterproof, ruggedized and lots more.

....but it is expensive!!!

Good luck shopping!!!

Pieter

...nou hoef my vrou nie meer die kaart boek in alle rigtings te daai nie, o ja, en dan wil sy nog foto's neem in die ry ook. :ilikeit:

I bought the Garmin 60Csx and are extremely happy!

It is good for on road use since it is able to do automatic routing (no nice girl talking, only beebs to get your attention).

It is also good for offroad, hiking (since it uses 2x AA batteries and it is possible to replace easely if it goes flat while hiking) it is waterproof, ruggedized and lots more.

....but it is expensive!!!

Good luck shopping!!!

Pieter

...nou hoef my vrou nie meer die kaart boek in alle rigtings te daai nie, o ja, en dan wil sy nog foto's neem in die ry ook. :ilikeit:

Pieter;

Het hom ook in gedagte. Ek wonder net of ek hom klaar kan kry met Aus maps of moet 'n mens maar die kaarte koop en laai as jy in Aus is ?

Groete

Pieter;

Het hom ook in gedagte. Ek wonder net of ek hom klaar kan kry met Aus maps of moet 'n mens maar die kaarte koop en laai as jy in Aus is ?

Groete

As jy hom in SA koop dan kom dit gewoonlik met die SA Kaarte en dan sal die Oz kaarte ekstra moet by koop. Die goedkoopste garmin Oz kaarte wat ek sover kon in die hande kry was R1533 by Kalahari.net.

Cheers

ps. As jy een koop en jy hou van outdoor tipe aktiwiteite moet jy na http://www.geocaching.com/ gaan. Interessante sport, veral vir die kinders!