Great Ocean Road

catz

We want to do a trip down the Great Ocean Road in October, BUT i am hoping that there is someone who has done this trip and know of a nice place to spend 2 or 3 nights....

I was thinking somewhere like Colac, Apollo Bay or Lavers Hill. Somewhere that we can just sleep so we have enough time to see and do everything we want to!!

Also.... while on the subject... anything specific i just HAVE to go see?????

O yeah and i almost forgot to mention... PLEASE i dont want to have to spend a fortune to sleep!!!!

Thanks

Edited by catz

We did the Great Ocean Rd two years ago - an absolute MUST SEE! Depending on when you're going, accommodation - even the most modest - could be very expensive, especially if you put off making your booking. It's a bit of a catch 22 situation for you now: if you're going in High Season (eg: school holidays, December etc) they'll require a minimum stay of a week (some places even two weeks!) if you want to book now. If you wait, the minimum stay decreases to 3 days and eventually you might find the odd 1 day stay, but then again you may not. It's a bit of a gamble... We ended up paying $110 for 1 night at a bottom level motel in Airey's Inlet - the only accommodation for 1 night we could find remotely close to the Great Ocean Road.

If you want decent "budget" accommodation, try the Big4 & Top Tourist Parks. They're clean and have all the facilities you may need. Whether you'll find something at this stage for only 3 days, or at all if you wait, is another story... Best is to go out of season - then you'll have no problem. It's a pity that they don't make provision for road-trippers in that regard......

Even though the Great Ocean Road is only about 100km (the actual part with all the views etc) , it will take most of a full day (with an early start) to see & experience it all. There's many "lookouts" - don't miss even one, as they're all different and breathtaking in their own right! The stretch from Warrnambool all the way to Torquay - a distance of about 300km - is beautiful, with quaint little seaside villages along the way. Take heaps of film/memory & extra batteries for the camera - you'll need it!

Personal Tip: Most ppl tend to visit the Great Ocean Rd from the Melbourne direction. We did it the other way around - with a 7:00am start and were for the most of it, the only people around, making it possible to get beautiful "people-less" shots. Only when we got to the twelve apostles - the last "lookout" stop of the Great Ocean Rd, did we encounter the tour buses and as a result, this is where I took the worst photographs - we barely had space to move around! I'd suggest doing it all from Warrnambool then the following day, do the last 2 stops early in the morning, before the buses arrive.

Thanks Riekie....

Yeah we plan on doing it in October, so its pretty much low season then... i have mailed a few places, and seems like i will be getting away with $100 a night at places like Holiday parks along the coast - in ensuite cabins, sleeping the 4 of us... so all in all, not a bad deal i dont think!!! I can also get Motel accom in Colac for $109 pn for us.

We plan on leaving Melb early the Sunday morning, then staying the Sunday and Monday night, and take the drive back on the Tuesday afternoon. Dont think hubby will wanna go as far as Warrnambool... he only wanted to go do the Otway Treetops (or summing like that).... but i told him if we go there all the way anyways, we might as well do it properly and make sure we see it all!!!

Will probably be able to confirm dates and do bookings by end of next week, as i am waiting for a few places to still get back to me. NOt the best customer service for hospitality!!! In SA we had to reply to each and every email and quote even the people who didnt really look like they wanted to stay... lol different setup as here they know they will get bookings either way!!

Hi C

Last April we visited Apollo Bay. We stayed at the magnificient Colonial Cottages (see link below) it is as beautiful as the pics are in the webpage. The cottages are about 5 mins drive from the Apollo Bay business centre, about a minutes walk from the beach and to the flights that takes trips to see the 12 Apostles. From here we took daily trips to the Ottway Ranges, 12 Apostles (Port Campbell) and Colac

http://www.colonialcottages.com.au/

NAL

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I can not comment on where to stay etc as I have never been, but I have booked into a place in Lorne for a few days just before Christmas. It looks great. Here is their website address: http://www.grandpacific.com.au/

I have been to Colac for business, but I never really got to see the town as we worked all day and I travelled back to Melbourne that night. From what I did see however, it seems to be a small town with not much to see or do. (People that have spent some time there can correct me if I am wrong)

Enjoy the trip.

• 2 months later...

I just booked accomodation arounc Christmas (For the second year running) at A Great Ocean View, they're HALF the price of all the other sports around Apollo Bay, and definitely worth every cent -

www.greatoceanview.com.au

Check them out, really really good! (They have a 3D tour on the site if you have FLASH enabled)

Neville.